Mosquitoes

slew

Original Poster
Hi folks... :)

My friends and I will be traveling to Florida in mid-October, so we have been keeping an eye on the storms/hurricanes... Natch.

We have read that the mosquito population has jumped, due to all the standing water left by said storms/hurricanes...

Just want to know everyone's experience for the past month from those that have traveled, vacationed, and/or lives in/near Walt Disney World, Kissimmee and Orlando...

Also... What insect repellent has worked best for you...

Stan

SpenceMan01

Being from the great state of Minnesota, where we joke that the Mosquito is our state bird, I would reccommend 3M Ultrathon as the most effective insect repellent that I have ever used. It comes in a nice yellow aerosol can and it works wonders at keeping those nasty biting nuisances (sp?) away from you! Enjoy your trip!

DisneyMama2

Our family just returned from WDW on September 18. We vacationed there for one week. The mosquitoes seemed worse to me this year than in previous years. We got "eaten up" with mosquitoes. I would strongly suggest you take some type of repellent. Other than the bug bites, we had a wonderful time. Enjoy!!!!!!!!

MissM

Disney is normally good about bugs, but I can't say if they're having problems right now since I've not been there since July.

Though I use OFF! in the spray pump version and it works amazingly well.
-m

wannab@dis

It's going to sound crazy, but we've found Bounce (dryer sheets) to work great. Just take a sheet and rub it on your exposed skin. Much simpler to use than the sprays. We also take a couple of sheets and put them in our baby's stroller and it seems to be quite effective. I'm not sure where this idea came from, but my mother swears by it. And we all know that mom is always right! :)

Debbie

I live within five blocks of swampland, and I can tell you how bad the mosquitos have gotten since Ivan neared us. I have never encountered a bug problem at Disney, and I know Disney does their best to keep the mosquitos away (West Nile and people suing would be great motivators).
If the mosquitos are worse than usual in WDW; it could be because, some mosquito larvae can lay dormant for long periods, then with rain, bring them to life. This has happened here with some droughts we experienced. We didn't have rain for weeks at a time, then winter came. Come spring, we had a rainy spell, then all of a sudden we were inundated with mosquitos. Where'd they come from? This was the explanation given the N.O. area.
Another awesome mosquito repellent is Benz100. Ultrathon works good too. But, I've never needed to use repellent in WDW..............I wouldn't think to carry it with me.

colliera

Just got back on 9/22 and the only problem we had with the bugs were at EPCOT viewing Reflections of Earth, (big body of water/night time - you know the drill). They didn't bother me that much but they went after my wife's ankles.

Bring the repellent.

Atta83

wannab@dis said:
It's going to sound crazy, but we've found Bounce (dryer sheets) to work great. Just take a sheet and rub it on your exposed skin. Much simpler to use than the sprays. We also take a couple of sheets and put them in our baby's stroller and it seems to be quite effective. I'm not sure where this idea came from, but my mother swears by it. And we all know that mom is always right! :)

Yes, I do this at home and it seems to work great and i dont feel greasy from the spray and i smell good too! :)

barnum42

I've never had problems with mozzies on past trips, but these past two weeks I noticed quite a few of them, and have a few bites to show for it. However I'm not covered in them and they did not get in the way of the trip.

vilegirl

Just got back last week. We were watching Wishes from the beach at the Poly and - oh my god - the next day I was just one big mosquito bite!! I had bumps on bumps!! :eek:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom