Morocco Pavilion facing financial troubles

nickys

Premium Member
Always walked past this pavilion. If the world showcase pavilions don't have an attraction, I don't usually care about em. No matter how beautiful they are. There's no point, if you're there for attractions and not to eat or shop or just hang around. My family is an attractions family, not a "spend $160+ for a family of 4 to eat food" family.

That being said, I did spend my fair share of time in this pavilion back in high school when I recorded a short film with NYFA in the Morocco Pavilion. Great set locations for a film. :)
You’re missing out on a fascinating little museum.

nickys

Premium Member
It’s been a few years but the last time I ate there I thought the food was great and I really enjoyed the entertainment.

It sounds like all of the menus have really gone down... do any of the actual chefs still have their jobs? :-/
It sounded like all the staff lost their jobs back when Disney filed the lien. There were reports of them clearing desks and so on. I would have thought if the company was in that much trouble the chefs would also go. I guess they could be hired back by Disney if they decide to reopen the restaurants.

Jon81uk

Look, it’s “foreign” (to American audiences) cafeteria food. Most of it sits under plastic wrap (to keep the flies out) on a buffet line all day and is scooped onto your plate with an ice cream scoop (see photo from DFB, so I’m not called a liar again).

Its not an ice cream scoop, its a food service disher scoop used for portion control (to ensure costs are met) they are probably used in most quick service places. Subway use them a lot.

Club Cooloholic

Wow. You’re not even going to give me a “What makes you think they serve the display?” or “Are you sure they serve the food that’s been sitting in the case all day?” You just jumped straight to calling me a liar? I don’t appreciate that.

I’m speaking from my own experience. It was the end of the day, just before Illuminations. I was with my family. I ordered the Saffron Chicken dish, and they pulled the pre-made plate from the case, took it to the kitchen to heat it up, and then they served it to me.

That was my second (and last) time to actually eat at the Tangierine Cafe. The Moroccan mint tea is something I get every trip, though. I have also eaten at Marrakesh, which may share a kitchen with the cafe. I don’t remember the food being bad that time, but I was young.

Look, it’s “foreign” (to American audiences) cafeteria food. Most of it sits under plastic wrap (to keep the flies out) on a buffet line all day and is scooped onto your plate with an ice cream scoop (see photo from DFB, so I’m not called a liar again).

View attachment 507750
In my opinion, anyone who says the food in this cafe is “the best in Disney” is either exaggerating (which makes sense in a thread like this), delusional, or has very bad taste.

I would never expect fresh, high-quality food made to order in a quick serve restaurant in a theme park. But anyone who thinks the food in that cafe is freshly prepared (or even made in house), doesn’t know anything about foodservice or Mediterranean food.

Maybe my experience wasn’t typical. Lots of people say they like the food (though clearly not enough people did to keep the place in business). I wasn’t trying to insult you. I have no agenda other than to report my opinions and experiences.
I am guessing you don't like Chipotle either? I mean it's quick service, If you buy a pulled pork sandwich anywhere on property, it's probably getting scooped out of some plastic tub of meat

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yeah I didn't mention Rainforest since there are other locations outside of Disney. I think they run the Boathouse at Disney Springs too. There's also the Patina group that's supposed to run Space 220 and also runs the two restaurants in the Italy pavilion, and I think a couple at Disney Springs.

But yeah, if they go out of business, who knows.
Boathouse is run by Gibson’s of Chicago...but the idea came from Steve Schussler who had developed rainforest and other nonsense for Landry’s

_caleb

Its not an ice cream scoop, its a food service disher scoop used for portion control (to ensure costs are met) they are probably used in most quick service places. Subway use them a lot.

A “disher” is an ice cream scoop used to portion food.

96D47FA3-8604-4564-BC4A-24B84B69CF10.jpeg

_caleb

I am guessing you don't like Chipotle either? I mean it's quick service, If you buy a pulled pork sandwich anywhere on property, it's probably getting scooped out of some plastic tub of meat
I actually love Chipotle! But they respect hold times (well, they do now). And I would never say that that Chipotle is the best food I’ve ever had. (Same goes for the Darden group restaurants, which are struggling).

Guys, I’m not against quick-serve food! I’m against the classic bad practice of buying cheap Sysco food, prepping way ahead of time, storing it under plastic, and then reheating it for service. Lots of mom-and-pop restaurants do this in order to keep costs down. If temps are not maintained, it can be dangerous, sure, but my point is that even when done properly it’s gross. And customers know the difference. This is why these restaurants struggle, and in my experience, how the Tangierine Café was run.

_caleb

I hope this doesn't set a precedent, where we see more and more countries start to be run by WDW...
”Run by” is the problem. If the third parties had creative control but Disney money, the pavilions would retain their cultural “authenticity” (which is probably what you’re concerned about). But who knows how to serve Disney crowds better than Disney? Not Marrakesh Moroccan Restaurant, LLC!

Club Cooloholic

I actually love Chipotle! But they respect hold times (well, they do now). And I would never say that that Chipotle is the best food I’ve ever had. (Same goes for the Darden group restaurants, which are struggling).

Guys, I’m not against quick-serve food! I’m against the classic bad practice of buying cheap Sysco food, prepping way ahead of time, storing it under plastic, and then reheating it for service. Lots of mom-and-pop restaurants do this in order to keep costs down. If temps are not maintained, it can be dangerous, sure, but my point is that even when done properly it’s gross. And customers know the difference. This is why these restaurants struggle, and in my experience, how the Tangierine Café was run.
I honestly can't remember how they made falafel, I am going to assume it was not deep fried right before being plated? That is something that can be done fast and we'll.

Goofnut1980

I wonder, if Disney takes this back, there is no attraction or big money draw for them. If its possible they would clear the space and create a new country.

_caleb

I honestly can't remember how they made falafel, I am going to assume it was not deep fried right before being plated? That is something that can be done fast and we'll.
Not sure what the typical practice was. In my experience, they had been overcooked (fried), sitting out for an extended period, and served room temp.

And you're right, no excuse for this.

aladdin2007

I wonder, if Disney takes this back, there is no attraction or big money draw for them. If its possible they would clear the space and create a new country.

There's really no reason to ditch it when they have other pads for expansion to build on. UK and Italy run fine without an attraction, of course I would love to see one in those too, but to erase Morocco from the Epcot lineup isn't necessary. They could do whatever they want now of course but with current situations I don't see it being on their radar. At the same time though, we all know how they love to repurpose existing instead of building from scratch...

nickys

Premium Member
It might be stirring up a hornets nest in current times to demolish the pavilion that was built and funded by the Moroccan King and which includes a replica of a religious shrine.

I see no reason why Disney would want to do that anyway. My guess is they’ll look for someone to run one or more of the restaurants, maybe even rehire the chefs unless there’s some contractual reason not to (like they’re actually employees of the former owners).

Down the line they might well repurpose part of it for a simple attraction.

MrPromey

Despite all the purists comments it is a natural fit. Aladdin here we go!

You know, that's exactly how I feel about them adding an Alien ride to Germany.

I'm mean come on Disney, you own Fox!

Epcot is already a park more tuned to adults and you lost what bit of this franchise you had in Hollywood Studios when you shut down the great Movie Ride.

There will be people that say it makes no sense to put an Alien ride in Deutschland due to some BS nuance or history or culture or whatever but but don't let those $5 words stop you from putting face huggers in there! We know there was a ride planned and you've got the space. It's a natural fit and now is the time!

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom