Morocco Pavilion facing financial troubles

nickys

Premium Member
The Pavilion may have opened with the support of the Moroccan government, but it is owned by a private company Marrakesh Moroccan Restaurant, LLC. The company is composed of two members. So it has two owners, both private Moroccan citizens. One was a former travel official for the Moroccan government. The other is a long time restauranteur and has award-winning restaurants across the US.
According to a quick search, that company was loaned $1-2m in April of this year. Looks like Disney filed a lien to get a first claim in, as others have suggested.

However I question your assertion the company own the pavilion. They operate it and own the restaurants in it. Not sure that’s quite the same thing.

Bocabear

So if they ever did go belly-up, the worst thing that would happen is Disney would take over the restaurant and retail operations until they find another company to come in... Or maybe the failure of the restaurant at the back of the Pavilion would make way for a new attraction?

castlecake2.0

Original Poster
According to a quick search, that company was loaned $1-2m in April of this year. Looks like Disney filed a lien to get a first claim in, as others have suggested.

However I question your assertion the company own the pavilion. They operate it and own the restaurants in it. Not sure that’s quite the same thing.

Right, it’s more like Disney owns the pavilion and leases it out to the Operating Participant. Also Disney operates and staffs (About 5 cms) "morocco attractions" which is literally just Kidcot.

nickys

Premium Member
Right, it’s more like Disney owns the pavilion and leases it out to the Operating Participant. Also Disney operates and staffs (About 5 cms) "morocco attractions" which is literally just Kidcot.
What about the souk? I assumed those are manned by regular CMs, be they CP or others.

And who provides the CMs in the museum?

castlecake2.0

Original Poster
What about the souk? I assumed those are manned by regular CMs, be they CP or others.

And who provides the CMs in the museum?

Food & Beverage and Merchandise hosts are all operating participants. Attractions hosts are Disney cast members, they work Kidcot/gallery/park audience control/firework audience control

jmuboy

Reports that CMs and chefs working at Restaurant Marrakesh have all been terminated, managers emptying out offices. And employees being asked to pay back health insurance for their furloughed period.

I’m trying to find a scrupulous source for the story however. 😉

I wonder if there will be a period of time that the entire pavilion closes before formalities are worked out and Disney takes control? (assuming this is the direction we are headed with the operating partner)

castlecake2.0

Original Poster
I wonder if there will be a period of time that the entire pavilion closes before formalities are worked out and Disney takes control? (assuming this is the direction we are headed with the operating partner)

I’m trying to think if there was ever a situation like this before, but I can only think of things that went the other way.

LittleBuford

Aladdin was based on a story set in the Middle East, not even the same continent.
Curiously, the original story is set in China, though nothing about it is Chinese.

Morocco is often considered to be part of the cultural Middle East, and certainly part of the Arab world, which straddles both Asia and Africa. (Egypt is most certainly in the Middle East, so it’s not really an issue of Africa vs. Asia.) I agree with you, however, that Morocco, being at the opposite end of the Arab world from the more easterly lands evoked by Agrabah, would be a bad fit for an Aladdin attraction.

Last edited:

Robbiem

Curiously, the original story is set in China, though nothing about it is Chinese.

Morocco is often considered to be part of the cultural Middle East, and certainly part of the Arab world, which straddles both Asia and Africa. (Egypt is most certainly in the Middle East, so it’s not really an issue of Africa vs. Asia.) I agree with you, however, that Morocco, being at the opposite end of the Arab world from the more easterly lands evoked by Agrabah, would be a bad fit for an Aladdin attraction.

here in the UK Aladdin is definitely associated with China. Its one of our most popular Christmas pantomimes (a kind of musical play for children). I was really surprised when the original movie came out as id never thought about its connection to Arabia

nickys

Premium Member

The Middle East was always used as a more PC version of “Asia Minor” that used to be in vogue. I don’t know that I would have thought of it as being in the Middle East, but I see it is officially. Morocco certainly isn’t though, although it is part of the MENA Arab League (Middle East & North Africa).

Aladdin as a story was associated with Arabian Nights, but was written by the Frenchman who translated it, who heard it from Syria. It’s always described as being a Middle Eastern folk tale. And as you say, although it says it is set in China, it refers to Sultans, a Jewish trader etc which aren’t related to China. Also China was also used to refer to a far off Asian land by Middle Eastern people.

nickys

Premium Member
here in the UK Aladdin is definitely associated with China. Its one of our most popular Christmas pantomimes (a kind of musical play for children). I was really surprised when the original movie came out as id never thought about its connection to Arabia
Funny, I have never seen Aladdin done as a Panto! Didn’t occur to me that it was set in China. 😁

LittleBuford

I’m a Brit, so I know our pantomime tradition well. :) I’m also ethnically Middle Eastern, so it always puzzled me that the story was set in China while all the characters and themes (of the story, not the pantomime version) were Middle Eastern. I’m glad Disney took the route they did.

LittleBuford

The Middle East was always used as a more PC version of “Asia Minor” that used to be in vogue. I don’t know that I would have thought of it as being in the Middle East, but I see it is officially. Morocco certainly isn’t though, although it is part of the MENA Arab League (Middle East & North Africa).

Aladdin as a story was associated with Arabian Nights, but was written by the Frenchman who translated it, who heard it from Syria. It’s always described as being a Middle Eastern folk tale. And as you say, although it says it is set in China, it refers to Sultans, a Jewish trader etc which aren’t related to China. Also China was also used to refer to a far off Asian land by Middle Eastern people.
Asia Minor, now usually known as Anatolia, is the Asian part of Turkey. It is part of, but not synonymous with, the Middle East. Political correctness doesn’t come into it.

I didn’t want to complicate things by referring to the story’s complex transmission history, which I’ve talked about in another thread. As you note, its association with the Arabian Nights came about later.

Last edited:

DCBaker

Premium Member
"After a few months of financial hardship, Disney will be taking control of the operations of the Morocco Pavilion at EPCOT."

"Jacquee Wahler, VP Communications Walt Disney World Resort, and Rashid Choufani and Rachid Lyazidi, Operating Participants Morocco Pavilion released the following statement to the Disney Food Blog:"

"After many years of working together, we have a mutually agreed arrangement to begin the process of transitioning operations of the Morocco pavilion to Disney. By the end of the year, Disney will assume operations of this important part of EPCOT and under Disney’s operation, the pavilion will continue to honor the rich traditions and legacy it has since it opened"

techgeek

"After a few months of financial hardship, Disney will be taking control of the operations of the Morocco Pavilion at EPCOT."

"Jacquee Wahler, VP Communications Walt Disney World Resort, and Rashid Choufani and Rachid Lyazidi, Operating Participants Morocco Pavilion released the following statement to the Disney Food Blog:"

"After many years of working together, we have a mutually agreed arrangement to begin the process of transitioning operations of the Morocco pavilion to Disney. By the end of the year, Disney will assume operations of this important part of EPCOT and under Disney’s operation, the pavilion will continue to honor the rich traditions and legacy it has since it opened"

... So, Restaurant Marrakesh as we knew it is dead. I can’t fathom Disney operating it in the same manner, even when demand and capacity for it returns. Another chunk out of the EPCOT wall.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom