More offsite hotels to offer Extra Magic Hours and extended FastPass+ booking window

TrojanUSC

Every now and then, I look into the Disney Springs hotels but for us, the deciding factor is always transportation. We like the convenience of the Disney buses and the fact that 90% of the time, they arrive every 15-20 minutes. We don’t want to deal with rental cars, parking, traffic etc on our vacation. If the Disney Springs hotels ever up their bus service, we would certainly make the switch now.

For the cost savings you could take Uber just about everywhere, likely saving time and money. Only exception is MK but a Minnie Van will take you right to the gate.

DisneyDreamer08

If you’re seriously considering making the switch, don’t forget that Uber and Lyft are also options.
For the cost savings you could take Uber just about everywhere, likely saving time and money. Only exception is MK but a Minnie Van will take you right to the gate.

Yes, I should have added that our kids are still little, currently 3 and 8. Once we get past the car seat phase, Uber will definitely be an option!

Last edited:

LittleBuford

Getting dropped off at (and picked up from) the Contemporary Resort works really well for MK, and the walkway between them has its own security point that’s much less busy than the security that everyone else has to go through.

CaptainAmerica

The perks for staying on-site have NEVER been worth the added cost! I love staying at Wyndham Bonnet Creek, or even one of the Marriott timeshare resorts, and I will never ever understand why people pay the insanely high rates that Disney charges for Motel 6 rooms, when you could be staying in much nicer accommodations for less money.
Lol.

I've done Wyndham Bonnet Creek a number of times, and enjoy it if I have a very large party and want one of the larger villas. But Wyndham freaking Bonnet Creek doesn't look like this.

1180-x-600-animal-kingdom-lodge-lobby-tour-780x440.jpg

...or this...

njhauhuh.jpg

...or even this.

os-pictures-disneys-art-of-animation-resort

Yes, room-to-room and amenity-to-amenity, Disney resorts are a poor value. That's not the point.

LittleBuford

Lol.

I've done Wyndham Bonnet Creek a number of times, and enjoy it if I have a very large party and want one of the larger villas. But Wyndham freaking Bonnet Creek doesn't look like this.

1180-x-600-animal-kingdom-lodge-lobby-tour-780x440.jpg

...or this...

njhauhuh.jpg

...or even this.

os-pictures-disneys-art-of-animation-resort

Yes, room-to-room and amenity-to-amenity, Disney resorts are a poor value. That's not the point.

I love Disney immersion but don’t spend enough time away from the parks to justify the cost of staying onsite. The hotel is just a place for us to sleep (we take no daytime breaks at all).

CaptainAmerica

I love Disney immersion but don’t spend enough time away from the parks to justify the cost of staying onsite. The hotel is just a place for us to sleep (we take no daytime breaks at all).
Of course. Perfectly legit. I objected to: "I will never ever understand why people pay the insanely high rates that Disney charges for Motel 6 rooms, when you could be staying in much nicer accommodations for less money."

LittleBuford

Of course. Perfectly legit. I objected to: "I will never ever understand why people pay the insanely high rates that Disney charges for Motel 6 rooms, when you could be staying in much nicer accommodations for less money."

There's no denying that the Disney resorts bring a lot of extra magic. If I stayed longer at the World and had resort days built into my holiday, I'd certainly want to stay onsite.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
For those who fly into Orlando, when staying offsite, one needs to also add in any resort fee, and if you use a rental car, that fee and a parking fee (for the hotel and parks). That's when prices start getting close to comparable. If you don't have a car, you have to figure in round trip cost of Uber/Lyft (at least $20/day including tip) or the pain of a less than stellar hotel shuttle (time is money).

Jedi Stitch

As a DLR guy, Good Neighbor is needed as I can't even fathom affording any of the 3 on property hotels there. When we stayed at WDW, the big draw was staying on property in the Disney bubble, and getting the extra perks. I would be frustrated at paying the Disney price then finding out the guy next to you at the EMH paid nearly half the cost for the same experience. But then DLR and WDW are two distinctly different worlds is comparing apples to oranges

TinkMar

Glad I gave up my AP... cannot get a fast pass for anything anyway anymore. Been that way since they started adding springs hotels; only getting worse!
I guess Disney does not want the local there ... they overlook what we spend in the Parks!

debg32

Walt Disney World is not the same. Too many changes. Walt Disney wanted it to be a place where families could afford to go and enjoy being kids together. The parks are getting too overcrowded. When they first started with extra hours it was great. It was only at the Magic Kingdom and it was an extra 10 dollars to take advantage of it. It was offered to resort guests only and you had to have a regular park pass as well. That was back in 2003, not that long ago. It was great. Now, they are offering this perk to people that stay off property. The same with fast passes. Not fair to those who plan and stay on site. My family are DVC members and there are no perks other than some % off restaurants. You can't even get the resort you want because of holding rooms for the constant specials and outside companies who book travel. Now they are building more hotels. The crowds have become unbearable no matter when you travel there. They are also more rude and inconsiderate to others trying to enjoy. We are going in May. Only looking forward to our dining and time at the pool. Not looking forward to the parks.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Try going to wdw on short notice, fast pass is useless. All I have is early times
Glad I gave up my AP... cannot get a fast pass for anything anyway anymore. Been that way since they started adding springs hotels; only getting worse!
I guess Disney does not want the local there ... they overlook what we spend in the Parks!

Hmmm...at MK, I typically have had no issues getting FPs for most attractions on a short term notice outside of the mine train. And this is anywhere between 7 days out to same day. The other parks may or may not be a little trickier. Frozen is hard to get on short notice. Toy Story mania was hard to get on short notice (probably changed now since Toy Story Land opened). Flight of Passage was hard/impossible to get on short notice. But for the majority of attractions I typically have little issue finding a time. I imagine this fluctuates based on season, however.

seascape

Walt Disney World is not the same. Too many changes. Walt Disney wanted it to be a place where families could afford to go and enjoy being kids together. The parks are getting too overcrowded. When they first started with extra hours it was great. It was only at the Magic Kingdom and it was an extra 10 dollars to take advantage of it. It was offered to resort guests only and you had to have a regular park pass as well. That was back in 2003, not that long ago. It was great. Now, they are offering this perk to people that stay off property. The same with fast passes. Not fair to those who plan and stay on site. My family are DVC members and there are no perks other than some % off restaurants. You can't even get the resort you want because of holding rooms for the constant specials and outside companies who book travel. Now they are building more hotels. The crowds have become unbearable no matter when you travel there. They are also more rude and inconsiderate to others trying to enjoy. We are going in May. Only looking forward to our dining and time at the pool. Not looking forward to the parks.
Walt hated the crowds in the 60s when he was alive. He never cared about the average family being able to afford Disneyland. That is just a story passed on by people who don't know the truth. The fact is that most of what he did with his stock and the separate company WED was illegal. He did leave a great company but those here who give him unlimited credit are severely mislead. Give Walt some credit but don't make him something he wasn't. As for DVC and passholders, since I own 425 DVC points I an aware we don't always get the resorts we want but we always get one when we want to go and I don't care about blackout dates because I pay for a Platinum Plus pass. I am also about to buy more points at the Riviera.

lindawdw

I'm wondering if this has to do with wanting people to stay for longer vacations. FOP and TSL is already at 62-63 days for FP+. Adding more rooms to the 60 day window could push it to further into a vacation. Throw in GE and how ever far out availability will turn into for those. Some people that feel those are the "must see" attractions may plan for more days just to get a better chance at FP+. Now people need something else to do before their coveted FOP/TSL day so they will spend more on other activities. I could almost see Disney saying "book 8+ nights and receive a guaranteed ride on the new __ ride!!!"
I totally agree with you!

lindawdw

I have not read the replies but wanted to share an email I got from DVC. I had sent a letter and an email just expressing my feelings toward this new move.

Thank you for contacting us regarding Disney Vacation Club Member benefits.

I am very sorry for your disappointment regarding the addition of our Good Neighbor Hotels to include the additional benefit of a 60 day booking window for Disney FastPass+ selections. Please know, this perk is only available for Guests that are booking Resort reservations and services through the Walt Disney Travel Company and staying one of our qualifying Resorts. This includes Resort Packages made at some of our Good Neighbor Hotel Partners. Our Resort Packages include some benefits and services that are provided by the Walt Disney World Resort which is one of the reasons our Partners have been included in some of these benefits.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with us. The feedback we receive from our Members is very important to us. As we strive to improve the benefits and services we provide to our Members, we are constantly evaluating our operation. You may be assured your input will be taken seriously.

Should you have any additional questions or would like to speak directly, I would be happy to discuss your comments further. I am typically in the office Saturday through Tuesday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. ET and can be reached by calling . You may also provide me with your telephone number and the best time to call as a reply to this message. I am happy to contact you.

I also got a phone call and a voice message. haven't decided if I'm going to call to discuss further or not.

I actually wrote an email to Disney Guest Services expressing my displeasure regarding the direction of the WDW company recently and got back the standard letter too. I then made up some notes to myself with bullet points of what I wanted to discuss with the CM who sent me the email. He actually called me before I called him that day and we spoke for about 20 minutes. I was respectful but pulled no punches in how I saw the direction of the Disney company going and that I was considering selling my DVC's because I felt like their business model was now "quantity over quality". He totally disagreed with me of course and said that Walt Disney always believed in moving forward and that change was good. Yes, change is good if the product you are selling is quality and if you care about your customers which I'm of the opinion that it's all about the mighty dollar at this point. Unfortunately, I think enough "old timers" who knew what Disney World was like back in the 70's, 80's and 90's are starting to think of other vacations to take and the newer guests don't know just how badly they're being taken for granted.

Hawkeye_2018

We plan on going in early 2020 and hope to split our stay between a Disney Moderate hotel and a hotel at Disney Springs. I am hoping those hotels will continue to offer fastpass and other perks for 2020

Tom P.

Walt hated the crowds in the 60s when he was alive. He never cared about the average family being able to afford Disneyland. That is just a story passed on by people who don't know the truth. The fact is that most of what he did with his stock and the separate company WED was illegal. He did leave a great company but those here who give him unlimited credit are severely mislead. Give Walt some credit but don't make him something he wasn't. As for DVC and passholders, since I own 425 DVC points I an aware we don't always get the resorts we want but we always get one when we want to go and I don't care about blackout dates because I pay for a Platinum Plus pass. I am also about to buy more points at the Riviera.
What is your basis for saying most of what Walt did was illegal?

seascape

What is your basis for saying most of what Walt did was illegal?
WED was owned privately by Walt and he owned the monorail personally. There were so many conflicts of interest in the way he ran the company. Before he died he sold those separate companies to the Walt Disney Company but there is no doubt if he hadn't there would have been major lawsuits and the company we love today would not exist. Walt, once he had his company secure ran it for his benefit and not the stockholders. I do appreciate his foresight and imagination and own stock but I would not own stock in the company if it were run the way the company was by Walt.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom