More HYBRID rides

NiCKEY NoUSE

Original Poster
The huge success of Universal's first hybrid ride Spiderman, combining the elements of a simulator, dark ride, and thrill ride, along with its amazing special effects has led me to believe that Disney may have something similar in the works to compete with this. Now I know that the Villain hybrid ride rumored to replace the GMR in MGM is possible, but I really don't think this rumor will ever be anything more than just that, being that the Good vs. Evil theme has been exhausted (Fantasmic!, Philarmagic, other Fantasyland rides..).

Anywho...it is my belief that the next major attraction (after Mission:Space, Philarmagic, JII w/ Fig, and BK of course) will be one of these hybrids in ANY PARK. This seems logical to me, though knowing Disney, they might not want to copy this type of ride, and instead opt to build something more original (though lately all the spinners and "quick fix" rides whose purposes are simply to add more attractions their rosters have me thinking another way). Ok enough with the cynnical statements...:hammer:

This would be absolutely incredible, if done right; the question is, however, will it be done at all? And if so, which park would recieve the honor of being WDW's first park with this incredible type of attraction? It seems to me that (with the right theme and funding) it has the potential to BLOW AWAY the TOT in terms of popularity, technology, etc., though I'm sure some will disagree. Any thoughts or rumors??

howlin_mad

I always thought they were sitting on a gold mine with their Duck Tales show. I'm a fan of the show, and just about every episode has adventure and suspense. Plus the music is awesome. Now that would be a great ride that could fit almost anywhere in WDW. It could be on a safari in AK or Adventureland, in the future in Tomorrowland, in Hollywood in MGM, in any of the countries in Epcot, in the wild west in Frontierland, or in a make believe place in Fantasyland. The list of possible locations could just go on and on.

Luau Cove

Originally posted by howlin_mad
I always thought they were sitting on a gold mine with their Duck Tales show. I'm a fan of the show, and just about every episode has adventure and suspense.

Yes, you are right. Ducktales is a great series that could be included in a ride, taking in account Disney ducks were not used at all in the Theme Parks.

-->LUAU

dwldzm9

Duck Tales was a great show, and really so were tale spin and darkwing duck.

I just don't know whether these shows are still in rotation enough to warrant a ride based on them. Also keep in mind that these would have to be geared for a younger audience, since that is the core demographic for these cartoons. That said, they probably wouldn't/couldn't make it too intense, negating part of the rationale behind spending the money on such advanced technology.

WDW Imagineer

I wish that they would do a rather large rehab on GMR but not change the story completely, more just bring it up with more modern tech.

I think that they could use the simulator moving vehicle (like Spiderman-3D) to put you more "into" the movies, so lets say you in the part with Mickey in Fantasia, the car will move like you are a boat on water or in the Wizard of Oz it bumps so it seems like your "on" the yellow brick road.

But im gettingway to into it:animwink:

howlin_mad

Originally posted by dwldzm9
I just don't know whether these shows are still in rotation enough to warrant a ride based on them. Also keep in mind that these would have to be geared for a younger audience, since that is the core demographic for these cartoons. That said, they probably wouldn't/couldn't make it too intense, negating part of the rationale behind spending the money on such advanced technology.

I know that Duck Tales is still shown on the Toon Disney Channel, but unfortunately it was removed from regular television many years ago. I think that if they were to build a ride for that show, that many people could still relate to it. Donald's nephews were introduced into the comic books a long time ago, and they were even in the regular Disney cartoons back in the 40's and 50's. It's just that a couple of the other characters from the show may be unfamiliar to the people, but that's nothing that a line que and preshow can't fix.

You're right about catering to the younger audience and not making the ride too intense. However, that doesn't mean that it still can't be built. Look at the ride technology for the Pooh rides in WDW and TDS. Those both use Disney's enhanced motion vehicle concept (taken a step further in the TDS version) for a little kid ride. The EMVs were originated for Indy Jones in DL and Dinosaur at AK, and they are definitely not for the little ones. So what's to say that Disney can't use the Spider-Man concept but keep it scaled down? It probably won't happen like that, but it always is possible.

Goofalicious

Theme park?

I love the idea of Duck Tales, Tales Spin, Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers and those disney cartoons in the parks! And the great thing is, is that there are so many of those cartoons that they can be apart their own Land, like Fantasyland. And so this could be the next land that I can put in my new theme park. So far I have 3 lands, Villians Isle, The Ancient Land (I don't know about the name, but it would have something to do with Atlantis and Agrabah, Jungle Book maybe?) and then this Disney Cartoon Land, name anyone?

dwldzm9

Good point -

although if i am correct something keeps telling me that the TDL version was WAAAYYY more expensive - had something to do with the room where you "control" the hunny pot.

NiCKEY NoUSE

Original Poster
wow...Darkwing Duck in a hybrid type ride would be absolutely amazing!!! but I think the afternoon disney cartoon theme wouldn't make it into ANy park this day in age... I mean, ask any 8 or 9 year old about their opinion of Rescue Rangers, Gummi Bears, Care Bears, Darkwing Duck, Bonkers, or the countless other noon cartoons and they'd look at you like your crazy...sorry, but that audience is gone

on to bigger and better things!!

Mr Disney

In the Parks
Yes
Idea

Wouldn't be cool if the HYBRID ride took on a job to show you through the toons? Kinda like a toony GMR. You could make a quick rescue with Darkwing, save the day with Chip and Dale, save Uncle Scrooges money with Ducktales, etc. THEN at the end, you could choose the adventure you liked the best like in HORIZONS.

cm1988

What's next? Dunno, but...

Originally posted by NiCKEY NoUSE
......it is my belief that the next major attraction (after Mission:Space, Philarmagic, JII w/ Fig, and BK of course) will be one of these hybrids...Any thoughts or rumors??
Just an opinion. I'd expect to see a "Soaring over [somewhere]" attraction or one based on a Tokyo DisneySea hit first. Why? Well, there's been so much development at other parks that hasn't come to WDW yet. Historically, the best attractions start at one property, then get cloned to the others.

* reaches for standard disclaimer *

I have no insider information about new attractions, rehabs, initiatives, etc., etc., and so forth.

Disneynutcase

Two things on this subject:

First, prior to installing Toon Town, Disneyland actually did an "Afternoon Alley" area, using space from the Matterhorn/Teacups up past Small World to what is now the entrance of Toon Town. This was over a decade ago, probably late '80's or 1990 directly before Toon Town was built. I was with my wife's young cousins who were going ga-ga over everything--themed out to Duck Tales, Rescue Rangers, Tail Spin, Gummi Bears (and whatever else was current at that time in syndication). These kids knew them all, watched them all, and were very excited by this area. They even added themes to rides--Autopia (aka the cars) had the Rescue Rangers and I think what was the last year of the old kiddie motor boat ride was themed to one of the others (Gummi's or Ducktales). They also had a show and costumed characters from the shows out and about for photos & autographs--never ever have seen Gadget, Monty, Gummis, or Don Carnage again. Great costume's, too. In fact, we constantly use a line from the show by Don Carnage when being corrected about Chip & Dale, "Chip, Dip, whatever..." I was suprised that this area only lasted a year but I think it gave way to Gadgets Go-Coaster in DL's Toon Town (but alas, no more references in Toon Town than that).

Second, regarding the HYBRID ride, somebody someplace (and I thought it was on this site) posted a rumor that Disneyland was seriously thinking about placing a HYBRID Aladdin ride into Adventureland at DL. There is actually space behind the Tiki Room where an old restaurant sits (been closed down for years). Although I took this rumor as nothing to get excited about yet, the rumor was for a Flying Carpet adventure using a system similar to Spiderman. And Aladdin does have some cool adventures both in the three movies and in all the t.v. shows--a lot that they could exploit for the ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom