More and More Fair tents are disappearing!

DisneyWorldDork

Original Poster
This isn't really news or rumors but I just wanted to say how I am so excited to see those silly tent tops going away. So far only Peter Pan's and Winnie the Pooh's are gone but I am sure it is only a matter of time before all the others go away too! Obviously the only one that needs to be kept are the Tea Cups but other than that...

NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, HEY HEY HEY GOODBYE!!!! :D :ROFLOL:

lazyboy97o

Where did you get this from? The tents are still there. Only The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh is getting a new facade.

Krack

Obviously the only one that needs to be kept are the Tea Cups but other than that...

I know why there's a cover over the tea cups, but I still don't agree with it. The open air tea cups at DL add so much to the atmosphere of their Fantasyland, I would love to see MK give it a try.

4.1241849220.must-have-tea-cups.jpg

Next Big Thing

I know why there's a cover over the tea cups, but I still don't agree with it. The open air tea cups at DL add so much to the atmosphere of their Fantasyland, I would love to see MK give it a try.

The difference between DL and MK is in DL it barely ever rains. In MK there are short storms, esp. in the summer, very often so the covering is needed.

Krack

They did, it didn't work.

How much worse could it have worked than Dumbo (or, frankly, any of the spinners they seem insistent on putting in every land)?

That said, the Paris tea cups cover is a thousand times better than what's in Orlando; it would be a welcome improvement.

DisneyParksFan1

How much worse could it have worked than Dumbo (or, frankly, any of the spinners they seem insistent on putting in every land)?

That said, the Paris tea cups cover is a thousand times better than what's in Orlando; it would be a welcome improvement.

Very well said.

Rob562

It's not just rain falling on the riders and ride vehicles, but where it goes *after* that...

On the spinners you exit the vehicle onto concrete. That concrete can be angled slightly for drainage, made a little rough to give traction when wet. On the teacups you get VERY slick metal surfaces with puddles all over the place that you have to walk across to get to/from the cups. The teapcup platform has to be flat, and thus it isn't angled to allow proper drainage.

Disneyland has the only teacups I can think of that I have ever seen outdoors. Every other one anywhere else in the country is under cover.

(And I agree that the DLP teacups' roof is gorgeous)

-Rob

Enchantâmes

This isn't really news or rumors but I just wanted to say how I am so excited to see those silly tent tops going away. So far only Peter Pan's and Winnie the Pooh's are gone but I am sure it is only a matter of time before all the others go away too! Obviously the only one that needs to be kept are the Tea Cups but other than that...

NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, HEY HEY HEY GOODBYE!!!! :D :ROFLOL:
I hate that song!!!! :brick::brick::brick:

TP2000

Disneyland has the only teacups I can think of that I have ever seen outdoors. Every other one anywhere else in the country is under cover.

Disneyland also has the only teacups ride that has to close in rainy weather. :mad: Granted, in Southern California that's only about 10 days out of the year spread from December through March, but it happens. And then they have to wait for it to stop raining, and then Custodial CM's come in and mop up the water, and then they have to cycle the turntables for a couple of hours to dry out the spinner mechanisms to the point where they stop slipping and start spinning.

It may not be as pretty as Disneyland's open air version, but there's a very good reason why the Orlando, Paris, Hong Kong and Tokyo versions are under cover.

387700210_ec81b4a148.jpg

But, Disneyland's version does a nifty light show at night, from the paper lanterns hanging above the ride. WDW could easily dress up the canopy with these types of lights and add the synchronized LED light show. It adds an extra little zip that also looks very pretty at night, for both riders and spectators. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tjh7OKvjuDg

mp2bill

I don't understand. Did Dumbo once have a canopy? Personally, I like the idea for the ride change for the FLE expansion. I think it'll add a cool atmosphere for a kiddy ride.

On the Paris tea cups...I agree. They look awesome.

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
Found this photo at Daveland showing the Tea Cups without any weather protection. Note that the refreshment stand and bathrooms are under construction.

Attachments

• PBT_6_72_WDW_Skyway1.jpg
    PBT_6_72_WDW_Skyway1.jpg
    480.1 KB · Views: 293

Horizonsfan

Found this photo at Daveland showing the Tea Cups without any weather protection. Note that the refreshment stand and bathrooms are under construction.

Can you imagine if there were WDW websites back in the early 70s?

"Why in the world did WED put the tea cups right next to TL? You know at DL they have them right in the middle of FL. You can see them way too clearly from the Tomorrowland Terrace!"

:lol::lookaroun

We complain about it now. At least now we've got mature trees to hid the cups.

Neverland

I've been told that the teacups are getting a new roof for sure, but I don't know if it will be DLRP's or just a rebuilt version of what we already have.

Disney05

I agree. I would like to see it all open.

stlbobby

Wouldn't the plastic seats get dangerously hot without any shade? I think on the worst days you might have people getting burns on the backs of their thighs.

TP2000

Wouldn't the plastic seats get dangerously hot without any shade? I think on the worst days you might have people getting burns on the backs of their thighs.

Hmm. That's something no one has ever thought of. But it's not a problem in Disneyland, and Southern California is certainly sunny and usually warm. The cups seem to be made of a lightweight fiberglass, with glossy a paint coating on them. The coating must be a material that doesn't retain heat easily.

The Disneyland version is very much out in the sun, with some semi-shade areas under the vine covered strings of paper lanterns. The shade they offer is minimal.

3964964298_96d00507b6.jpg

Apparently it's not an issue, although I'm surprised it's not. It must have something to do with the coating on the cups themselves. :confused:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom