Monorail Yellow Emergency Hatch and Space Mountain Issues

t3techcom18

I have to agree; the Monorails have been getting really bad problems as of late. Is it being caused by them just aging and getting cracked at the same time? Maybe, since they're pretty much 15-16 years old now. Lots of the blue fabric rubber thingy is getting ripped easily, lots of dirt and grime is still there and looks like no proper scrubdown was given overnight. Monorails Gold and Black-with-a-Thin-Red-Line (on top; as to which i have no idea whats its called in actuality, but I just call it that, haha) are probably the best. The most recent one to date that has been REALLY bad? As someone else said, Pink. I was taking it to Epcot from the TTC and it was HORRID. VERY rickety, the door opening/intercom sound happened bout every 2 minutes, the brakes were very jittery, and the spiel? Yikes. There WAS a spiel there (aka the one that talks bout MGM, AK, DTD, etc). There wasn't any AT ALL. I love the new flooring though, but as I was looking, Pink had yet to recieve the new upgrades.

Basically, the fleet need to go and get a good scrubdown and fixed, one by one, sorta like what DLR did with theirs. Refurbed, redone, overhauled or simply replaced; whatever of those choices. That, and a scrubdown of the tracks cause they look really shabby.

lunarsquid

Perhaps they're holding off spending major $$$ on refurbing because they know they'll probably be getting new trains in the next couple years.

Ah, we can wish at least.

We have a few monorail cm's that post here, I wonder if they can shed any light?

:shrug:

BSikor

Original Poster
Monorails Gold and Black-with-a-Thin-Red-Line (on top; as to which i have no idea whats its called in actuality, but I just call it that, haha) are probably the best.

I don't know about that. I took this picture on Monorail Black. Look how neglected it is. Grime around the padding and the dirt surrounding the poles. I took this picture at 11:00 in the morning. It shouldn't be this bad this early.

1134004606_5764b77bcb_b.jpg

IROC it

I can't believe a park's transportation system that moves millions per year could be so.... so... :shrug: used?

Come on people... it's practically comical to hear the gripes in here.

Try DLR's out... no a/c unless you're in the cockpit with the pilot.

I for one can do with a little "grime" or lack of a recording so long as I get to my destination with my health in tact.

Safety first. If you are prone to being OCD about an otherwise "public" transportation system... don't use it.

:ROFLOL:Or get some baby wipes and some Purell.

RHeath2

Ricky Brigante interviewed a Monorail CM on Inside the Magic podcast a couple weeks back. It answers all your questions and concerns. I'd look it up and give it a listen.

the-reason14

Hey Jheyman, I was in line for Splash Mountain on the 9th and right before I stepped on to the ride, something happened and they shut the whole thing down. They gave us all Fastpasses good for anything in the Magic Kingdom. When we got out front, we could still see the cast members rescuing people from the boats that had been stopped. That must be the same power outage you were speaking of!

This may be a little off topic, but when do they usually give out the free fastpasses? Is it whenver a ride breaks down and to the people who have been in line the longest or do they hand em out to everybody. I ask because I have been in several breakdowns where they told us to leave and we aint get anything. Recently at SplM and they still didnt give us anything after I asked so I was just wonderin when do they do this.

Slowjack

I can't believe a park's transportation system that moves millions per year could be so.... so... :shrug: used?

Come on people... it's practically comical to hear the gripes in here.

Try DLR's out... no a/c unless you're in the cockpit with the pilot.

I for one can do with a little "grime" or lack of a recording so long as I get to my destination with my health in tact.

Safety first. If you are prone to being OCD about an otherwise "public" transportation system... don't use it.

:ROFLOL:Or get some baby wipes and some Purell.
I don't think anyone is surprised that heavy use over many years causes wear. But I think it's a little nuts to say that as long as you get there on time, who cares if it is clean? Putting quotes around the word "public" doesn't change that it is, in fact, a private transportation system. More to the point, though, at WDW, the monorails are part of the show. To WDW guests, they are considered a ride and an attraction in addition to transportation. The steam trains that circle MK are a form of transportation, too, but presumably you wouldn'tsay it was okay if they fell into disrepair as long as they got you to Toontown Fair in one piece.

Hoop Raeb

Formerly known as...
I've seen them come open before due to jostling of the car. They're held on by safety cables so you were never in any danger of them falling on your head.

BSikor

Original Poster
I've seen them come open before due to jostling of the car. They're held on by safety cables so you were never in any danger of them falling on your head.

Sure, but when the thing is comin' down over your noggin you don't think, "Hey there are safety cables holding these up" you just think "OH CRAP! THE SKY IS FALLING!"

t3techcom18

I don't know about that. I took this picture on Monorail Black. Look how neglected it is. Grime around the padding and the dirt surrounding the poles. I took this picture at 11:00 in the morning. It shouldn't be this bad this early.

1134004606_5764b77bcb_b.jpg

Yeah, for what I was referring to (sorry, bad habit of using pronouns) Monorail Black-with-A-Thin-Red-Line I think is best in technical terms (ie, braking, accerlating, no ricktey-cracky sounding stuff); I do remember it WAS the best in care. However, as we can all tell, apparently that's definitely gone the tube, not only with this one, but will all of em.

t3techcom18

I don't think anyone is surprised that heavy use over many years causes wear. But I think it's a little nuts to say that as long as you get there on time, who cares if it is clean? Putting quotes around the word "public" doesn't change that it is, in fact, a private transportation system. More to the point, though, at WDW, the monorails are part of the show. To WDW guests, they are considered a ride and an attraction in addition to transportation. The steam trains that circle MK are a form of transportation, too, but presumably you wouldn'tsay it was okay if they fell into disrepair as long as they got you to Toontown Fair in one piece.

Totally agree with those statements. To add on to that, yeah, it's been used to many years and has a LOT of wear, which is obviously normal; but this is WAY beyond normal. When I got on the Monorails, it NEVER looked THAT much dirty, and sure, there's wear and tear, but it's pretty normal. Heck, even the track looked great, with its pristine, keeping-with-the-years look of the concrete it has. Sure, I know sometimes it can be quite a hassle if they're being operated daily and are low on personnel or not enough time due to the EMH at night; but this is starting to get unacceptable. Sure, grime and dirt on window sills or bar edges are tiny and aren't a big deal, but when the lights are partially out, the intercom system ain't working, the spiel isn't going, and it feels like it's about to fall of the track cause of the rickety-ness...well, that definitely says a lot right now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom