Monorail Theory

montyz81

Original Poster
I have a theory about the MKVIs. When the MKV went to the MKVII they produced a train that look just like it as a toy. Not only did they build a toy, but they upgraded it with a remote capability. It would be easy to simply add this feature to the current line of MKVI toys, but they haven't. I submit that they haven't upgraded the toy because they are waiting for the new trains (MKVIII). With all the attention seemingly shifting to Florida, I thought based on this theory and the money potential to be invested in FL, it is possible we could see new trains sooner rather then later. I know I know, this is a crazy theory and people will laugh at this and me, but it sure is fun to hope and imagine!

Goofyernmost

There are currently no plans to upgrade the Walt Disney World Monorail system.

My guess is that they have at least 8 more years of amortization remaining on the trains. Until that gets done, there is no realistic thought of replacing anything.

They replaced the original stuff because it was underpowered and couldn't handle the job. That is not the case with the current ones. They are really very dependable and contrary to popular belief, are operating quite well. They have occasional breakdowns but even new equipment can have that happen.

One has to search far and wide to find anything equivalent outside of Disney. Yes, they do exist but are not common, at least above ground. I don't understand why everyone thinks they need to be replaced. To me they don't seem any different then they did the first time I saw them 20 years ago.

luv

I have a theory about the MKVIs. When the MKV went to the MKVII they produced a train that look just like it as a toy. Not only did they build a toy, but they upgraded it with a remote capability. It would be easy to simply add this feature to the current line of MKVI toys, but they haven't. I submit that they haven't upgraded the toy because they are waiting for the new trains (MKVIII). With all the attention seemingly shifting to Florida, I thought based on this theory and the money potential to be invested in FL, it is possible we could see new trains sooner rather then later. I know I know, this is a crazy theory and people will laugh at this and me, but it sure is fun to hope and imagine!
Epther that or they're just cheap.

Rasvar

I can't see a real upgrade. Bombardier is still capable of constructing Mark VI monorails. Peach has two new cones. What seems more likely is that at a certain point Disney cycles a monorail out of service to have full monorails refurbished and possibly have the cones replaced in a style similar to the way Peach was brought into service.

Goofyernmost

Epther that or they're just cheap.

I'm thinking that the word "cheap" doesn't apply to this. We are talking multi-millions of dollars to replace that fleet. Being cheap means that you don't buy some small item like a light bulb cause you're trying to save money. Big real property purchases are governed by many things. Return on investment, proper timing to maximize deductions for tax purposes, absolute need...many things.

luv

I'm thinking that the word "cheap" doesn't apply to this. We are talking multi-millions of dollars to replace that fleet. Being cheap means that you don't buy some small item like a light bulb cause you're trying to save money. Big real property purchases are governed by many things. Return on investment, proper timing to maximize deductions for tax purposes, absolute need...many things.
Seriously? Millions? Plural?

I know a little bit about buying plastic crap from China and India, lol. It wouldn't cost millions to alter or make a new mold. The idea actually made me, literally, lol.

Either you're talking about changing the monorail itself to fit the toy or...I don't know what. I think you're arguing about monorails with someone who is talking about toys. I hope so, anyway. In any event, I wasn't trying to fight.

ExtinctJenn

It would be easy to simply add this feature to the current line of MKVI toys, but they haven't.
This isn't an MKVI?
7512002522971-1.jpg

alissafalco

I'm pretty sure the OP was talking about a new toy, not a new monorail LOL It costs about 10 cents to make in China.

Goofyernmost

Sorry, my mistake! I thought we were talking about actual Monorail replacement, because they had mentioned that they might be waiting until new monorails were in place. Or I thought! Oh, well!

Rasvar

This isn't an MKVI?
7512002522971-1.jpg

Wow, I never even really look at this toy or the box before. The art on the box looks like the illegitimate child of a Mark IV and a Mark VI. I have no idea what they based the actual toy on. I'm guessing this whole thing was approved by someone in Burbank who had never seen a WDW monorail.

Monorail_Red

My guess is that they have at least 8 more years of amortization remaining on the trains. Until that gets done, there is no realistic thought of replacing anything.

They replaced the original stuff because it was underpowered and couldn't handle the job. That is not the case with the current ones. They are really very dependable and contrary to popular belief, are operating quite well. They have occasional breakdowns but even new equipment can have that happen.

One has to search far and wide to find anything equivalent outside of Disney. Yes, they do exist but are not common, at least above ground. I don't understand why everyone thinks they need to be replaced. To me they don't seem any different then they did the first time I saw them 20 years ago.
I am one of the few pilots (current and former - I'm a former) that will go up to bat for the current Mark VI trains. With the type of service this is demanded of the trains, they do not fail to deliver. The trains get around of 100k miles of usage per year. So some of the trains can potentially have around 2 million miles on them. They are rock-solid pieces of machinery if you ask me.

mnrlblue

I am one of the few pilots (current and former - I'm a former) that will go up to bat for the current Mark VI trains. With the type of service this is demanded of the trains, they do not fail to deliver. The trains get around of 100k miles of usage per year. So some of the trains can potentially have around 2 million miles on them. They are rock-solid pieces of machinery if you ask me.

Current pilot here, there is no doubt the trains are rock solid, but they do not get nearly the amount of preventative maintenance and refurb they need and deserve. Aesthetically, the interiors are awful.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom