Monorail Switch

Moustronaut

There are 2 switches on the line (someone's gonna tell me I'm wrong but this is from memory) in guest areas that you can see.

One of them switches the beam from the express MK monorail (the outer loop) to the Epcot line. You can see this riding the express monorail or the monorail from TTC to Epcot. It's located just past the TTC station on both lines.

The other is outside of the Magic Kingdom right by space mountain and the bus stops. You can actually stand under it if you walk along the path from the Magic Kingdom front gates towards the Contemporary Resort. It's a 3 way switch that goes from the express line to the resort line and to siding that goes back to the monorail barn.

If you search the discussion forums, someone has posted a link to a video of this switch in action.

Thrawn

Account Suspended
Do you want to see the switch itself or see the monorail actually switch tracks?

If the first, its out in front of EPCOT, the second, you'll be there a while before you see it happen.

Tom

Beta Return
Yeah, there are 2. The one is right outside the Magic Kingdom, right next to the bus stops. It moves trains from the roundhouse spur onto the express and resort loops.

The other is near the TTC, which lets trains onto the EPCOT loop.

There is no switch near EPCOT. You will have to be sitting near the switch pretty dang early or late to see the switches work. They bring the monorails out several hours before park opening, and put them away several hours after closing.

However, if you just want to see them, simply stand under the one at the MK, near the bus stops, or near the TTC. Or just ride the monorails in the front.

maelstrom

When I stayed at the Contemporary, I saw a couple of monorails switch to the garage beam. It wasn't too late at night, either, maybe 11p. I could hear what sounded like grinding metal, too, maybe from the tracks moving. It was dark, though, so I couldn't see it too clearly (not to mention that I was on the 11th floor).

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Originally posted by Moustronaut

If you search the discussion forums, someone has posted a link to a video of this switch in action.

I`ve just spent an hour searching for the `switch video` and can`t find it. Can anyone give a link?

I`m not complaining though - read a 17 page April 2002 thread about Monorail accidents that did/didn`t happen. Don`t suppose anyone did get photos out of the MK station Red/Blue crash, or SIlvers fire?

TimeTrip

Originally posted by marni1971
I`ve just spent an hour searching for the `switch video` and can`t find it. Can anyone give a link?

Here you go . I took them when i noticed while walking to the contemporary that a train was coming out of the barn.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
TimeTrip - many thanks for the link. I had looked at the photos...and not read the `watch in awe` caption at the top... DUH!:brick:

BTW - are the lights in the last pic for the MK parking lot, and if so, are they up yet? From what I remember on my last trip they are REALLY needed - some parts of the lot (in use) were virtually pitch black.

I'm no monorail expert but wouldn't there have to be 3 switches not 2. 1 to go from the round house to the outer loop. 1 to go from the outer loop to the inner loop and then 1 to go to the epcot line.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Originally posted by donaldduck1967
I'm no monorail expert but wouldn't there have to be 3 switches not 2. 1 to go from the round house to the outer loop. 1 to go from the outer loop to the inner loop and then 1 to go to the epcot line.

Very true... unless one switch does 3 lines (does the barn switch into both the local AND express lines??)

I dare say the answer will be here within the hour.. its great having so many locals and CMs on the boards!

FatBoy976

I hate to be that nerd who knows this for a fact, but there are 3 switches. One that spans three lines (MK express, resort, and the track back to the maintenance area), and two seperate ones that go from EPCOT to the MK express.

bhg469

Thats funny i didnt think they stopped running, I was under the impression they switched to the track that sends trains full of cash to Eisners house.

JonnyP

Originally posted by marni1971
I`m not complaining though - read a 17 page April 2002 thread about Monorail accidents that did/didn`t happen. Don`t suppose anyone did get photos out of the MK station Red/Blue crash, or SIlvers fire?

Could you post a link to this thread? I never knew that there was a monorail accident. Thanks.:)

Moustronaut

Originally posted by FatBoy976
I hate to be that nerd who knows this for a fact, but there are 3 switches. One that spans three lines (MK express, resort, and the track back to the maintenance area), and two seperate ones that go from EPCOT to the MK express.

Ah you are correct! I was trying to think where the 3rd switch was so I went to GlobExplorer.com to find it. yes I know I have too much time on my hands.

There is the 3 position switch near Tomorrow land.

There's a 2 position switch that goes from the express beam to a transfer beam than runs from the express beam to the Epcot beam. It's located about a monorail trains length outside of the TTC station.

And there's another 2 position switch that is where the transfer beam ties into the Epcot bound beam. It's not really located near anything guest accessable and I think the only way to see it if from the Monorail.

I guess I never realized until now that there was this short beam that's only used when switching transfering a train from the express beam to the Epcot beam.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom