Monorail Support beams needing repair!

lazyboy97o

So you're saying that something cannot be cute and correct at the same time? I just found it amusing. I don't think that word has been used since the 1800's in a general discussion. Falling or scaling are a couple of equal and more understood words to use. However, I did know what it meant and it is correct as well.
It is not an archaic phrase nor is it the same as scaling (which is something specific) or falling (which is vague gibberish).

Club Cooloholic

Am I the only one that sees the irony in people being more concerned with this beam than they are about the bridges they probably drive over and under every day in their own back yards?
I remember netting was placed under several overpasses in Pittsburgh because so much concrete was breaking off.

lazyboy97o

Am I the only one that sees the irony in people being more concerned with this beam than they are about the bridges they probably drive over and under every day in their own back yards?
I remember netting was placed under several overpasses in Pittsburgh because so much concrete was breaking off.
How do you know people’s concern about other places? This thread isn’t about those bridges.

Club Cooloholic

How do you know people’s concern about other places? This thread isn’t about those bridges.
Good point. But my guess is that this was more an ascetic that was needed than structural, and I was just saying that many bridges and overpasses have similar problems (some not a big deal...some probably a big deal)

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Good point. But my guess is that this was more an ascetic repain that was needed than structural, and I was just saying that many bridges and overpasses have similar problems (some not a big deal...some probably a big deal)
This was not just an aesthetic issue. Spalling is typically caused by corrosion of the reinforcing steel rebar which is why it should be properly addressed in a timely manner.

Lilofan

Good point. But my guess is that this was more an ascetic that was needed than structural, and I was just saying that many bridges and overpasses have similar problems (some not a big deal...some probably a big deal)
Someone takes this Disney pic and shares it with Orlando Sentinel or WESH can be a big deal when put on the airwaves.

hpyhnt 1000

For better or worse, this has happened at WDW, too. The Tree of Life trails received protective netting and/or were closed off a decade ago due to a branch falling after hours.

https://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions/animal-kingdom/news/23apr2012-'tough-to-be-a-bug'-and-tree-of-life-trails-closed-due-to-urgent-tree-of-life-maintenance.htm

And the Splash Mountain load area had falling concrete issues around the same time.
8121354622_1798ccba13_c.jpg
Lengthy discussion at the time: https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/splash-mountain-falling-apart-literally.855607/

esskay

The overhead netting on Splash did amuse me. Mostly because it's daft that they thought a thin bit of fabric was going to stop a large hunk of concrete the size of the one that fell of at the time. The same with the tree of life. A netting isn't going to stop a heavy metal branch falling from a height. Guess its more to show they attempted to do something and be slightly less liable.

Goofyernmost

It’s not out of date, as you imply. It’s just technical, specific terminology for what is happening. If brick on your chimney starts spalling, the mason you talk to for repairs will call it that.
OK, maybe it's regional. I've been around 75 years and never once heard or seen that word used. I've even had brick chimneys repaired and still never heard it. We always called it repointing.

Goofyernmost

It is not an archaic phrase nor is it the same as scaling (which is something specific) or falling (which is vague gibberish).
What on the boards is not vague gibberish. The word spalling is gibberish to me. Man, it doesn't take much to get everyone's undies in a bunch does it.

Andrew M

The exposed rebar is not good - because that allows it to corrode and generally a bad thing for intrusion. Surface cracks are nothing... nor are chips... but cracks that are structural and exposing the rebar are all material significant issues that would draw attention for repair. The growth or direction of cracks can also be tells if they are active due to issues with supporting the load.

The kind of big chunk we see in this image I would expect to be patched and not let be forever.

Of course it's not ideal, but it doesn't mean it's in imminent danger of failure. Typical rebar only has about 2-3" of cover on it, so spalling like this is quite common, especially in Florida's climate. As long as it's addressed in a relatively timely matter it's not a big deal.

I've seen much much worse.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom