Monorail Support beams needing repair!

esskay

Honestly it's probably not anything close to as bad as some are sensationalizing. It just needs a patch - something that has been done many times. Superficial cracks show up in concrete all the time. As long as theres no damage to the internal structure (and from the limited info we have based on that photo, its fine) then all it needs is a bit of a touch up.

It's old, but it's not about to fail 🙄

CntrlFlPete

the biggest issue I see from that photo is the chunks of concrete that must be falling somewhere. People walk under many areas of the monorail track.

Goofyernmost

I do so wish they would get rid of the EPCOT monorail line. There's plenty of parking and other modes of transportation.
I'm not sure what they have plenty, along the lines, of alternate possibilities is the reason for it's existence. It exists because at the time all there was in operation was MK. MK receive world attention partially due to the fact that the Monorails were actually being used as a utility as well as an attraction. It still is. It is not the style of transportation that is just normal in our world. It has a more unique quality to it especially the EPCOT route. The impressive part of the MK route was going through the Contemporary building and the highlight of the EPCOT route was the circle within the park. Try experiencing either of those with a bus.

I can imagine the degree of identity the loop around and over EPCOT means to the overall image of not only EPCOT but WDW as a whole. For those that weren't around back when it opened, national news covered the forward thinking and spectacular display that Disney Company was showing and how impressive it was, and in many ways still is, in connection with urban development.

Sure we could ride a smelly old bus between MK and EPCOT or pollute a bunch more by having to drive between the two. That's not even to mention the lost time for someone to get to their vehicle, drive there, find a parking place and walk to the entrance. WDW would lose a gigantic amount of identity without the monorail no matter how much we might think that they are unnecessary. It might be possible to have a gondola make that route in EPCOT but then the beauty and class would be gone and would then be a roadside carnival.

Touchdown

It would also devalue the monorail resorts as they no longer have alternative service to two parks. It would essentially make Crescent Lake and the skyliner resorts the premiere resorts.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
7hvtrb.gif

Disney Glimpses

It has been patched. And I can assure you it was patched this way to simply obscure the poor aesthetics. The support is structurally sound as it already received epoxy injections (both of them did). Disney may skimp on theming, but these things are still taken very seriously as the results of failure would be catastrophic.

1681316744398.png

Last edited:

Lilofan

What would WDW do without guests pointing out problems!
When one works in a company for so long one may get blinders eyes to see what needs to be addressed. For me the guest that is saving for my trip and if I see items out of whack, damn sure I will be giving some feedback.

Goofyernmost

Unless you have an expertise in whatever you "spot" that is wrong, ask about it first and understand that just because you think there is a problem doesn't mean that there is. It is fine to ask and insist on a logical answer, but don't go in with pistols a-blazin.

Goofyernmost

Spalling is not just cosmetic. It should be treated seriously and promptly addressed, as seems to be the case.
Cute word!;) What I said was that in and of itself it doesn't mean that the structure is on the verge of collapse. If "spalling" is repaired in a timely manner, it simply means that a spot had some water/weather/aging damage and, in this case, has been addressed. But it should send a signal that perhaps a real concentrated plan should be in place to monitor all the support pillars and seal all the cracks before pieces start "spalling" off.

Disstevefan1

Let’s hope they fix it in less time then we will all spend arguing in this thread how bad or not bad this is and what words to use to describe it etc.

Raxel7851

It has been patched. And I can assure you it was patched this way to simply obscure the poor aesthetics. The support is structurally sound as it already received epoxy injections (both of them did). Disney may skimp on theming, but these things are still taken very seriously as the results of failure would be catastrophic.

View attachment 709956
I’m surprised they didn’t patch it with a Hidden Mickey!

Goofyernmost

Spalling is not a cute word but rather it is the correct word for what was happening to the concrete in the photo.
So you're saying that something cannot be cute and correct at the same time? I just found it amusing. I don't think that word has been used since the 1800's in a general discussion. Falling or scaling are a couple of equal and more understood words to use. However, I did know what it meant and it is correct as well.

James Alucobond

So you're saying that something cannot be cute and correct at the same time? I just found it amusing. I don't think that word has been used since the 1800's in a general discussion. Falling or scaling are a couple of equal and more understood words to use. However, I did know what it meant and it is correct as well.
It’s not out of date, as you imply. It’s just technical, specific terminology for what is happening. If brick on your chimney starts spalling, the mason you talk to for repairs will call it that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom