Monorail Question

Duke200K

Original Poster
We are heading down to Florida for a Disney trip tomorrow...and I was just wondering something about the monorail.

We're staying off-site, and to avoid the park parking lots, which I'm sure will be packed this weekend, could we go to the Polynesian hotel (or other monorail hotel) and take the monorail over from there? Or do you have to be a guest there to take the monorail? This is probably an obvious question to you WDW buffs, but I just wasn't sure. Thanks! :D

DisneyCP2000

Security may not let you in if you tell them you're going to Magic Kingdom from that resort. Your best bet is to park it at Ticket & Transportation Center and hop on the direct monorail from there. The tram ride is part of the fun if you ask me. :D

Figaro

Like DisneyCP2000 said, security will not let you park there. Last time we went, during the off season, we stayed at the Contemporary and my mother was staying at the Poly. Since we rented a car, a few times we went over to the Poly to pick her up. We had to be signed in at the security booth and we're given a temporary parking permit for no longer than 2 hours. (Even thought we already had a permit for the Contemporary)

Yellow Shoes

You probably didn't realize you were asking 2 different questions.

Can I use the parking lot at the Polynesian for MK?

no. Disney has cracked down on this at every hotel. Like figaro said, you will be asked what your business is at the Polynesian, and given a 2 hour parking pass unless you are a guest, in which case you will get a different parking pass.

You need to park at the TTC.

Can I ride the monorail if I'm staying off-site?

You can ride the monorail no matter where you sleep at night. We usually don't stay at monorail hotels, but we always ride it at least once. We especially like the loop through Epcot.

There are plenty of parking spaces at the TTC. If there aren't, you probably don't want to try to get into MK.

mattravels

Ride the hotel monerail at the TTC. We skipped EVERYONE in line both ways just by getting on that one! HAHAHA! It's sorta cheeting? I guess? but no one was guarding it and this was right after 9/11 last year so ... hey...it's worth a shot!:rolleyes:

Sir Hiss527

No,

You probably can't park at Poly, if your not staying, and get on the monorail,and go to Mk. You'll haved to park at TTC, and go ever.

-Sir Hiss527-

"Stop Hissing in my Ear":king:

Katherine

Originally posted by mattravels
Ride the hotel monerail at the TTC. We skipped EVERYONE in line both ways just by getting on that one! HAHAHA! It's sorta cheeting? I guess? but no one was guarding it and this was right after 9/11 last year so ... hey...it's worth a shot!:rolleyes:
This is probably the only thing you can get away with now a days. I remember taking it at the end of the night and I must say it is a big help in a voiding the cramped cars and long wait to get on the monorail. And yes it is "cheating".

Coronado

The tram ride is part of the fun if you ask me. You are officially at WDW when you hear "sit back, hold tight, we'll be clear driver."
There are a lot of ways to get around in WDW... the old shortcut through hotel parking to bus to park routine is not as easy any more..... the main question........ WHY are you staying off site? Try to go back to the hotel for a quick nap.... just think of the logistics of it all back to TTC.... to car...to hotel... rest... back in car .... back to TTC.... back to monorail...back to park I get tired just thinking about it! There is an affordable hotel in the park for everyone....and they are all good... and clean.... and not next to high crime areas...and convenient.. :)

MicBat

Originally posted by mattravels

I still do that every time. If we're staying on the grounds, just not at the polynesian, contemporary, or grand floridian, it's not really cheating. :D You're still staying in a resort, aren't you? What we used to to is say we were eating at the resort. I guess they dont let you do that anymore, though.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
it's cheating.. and if you get caught, your car will be towed to the AAA Car Care Center... where you will have to pony over the cash for the towing

TURKEY

Originally posted by MonorailFreak
sometimes, if u tell the guard or whoever that u ar esimply going to dinner at said resort (GF, poly, contemp), they usually will let u go

But they will usually, if not always now, give you a parking pass for 3 hours.

jwbeck3

We stay at Port Orleans Riverside usually, and in the morning when we are going to MK we will just go to Polynesian and say we are eating breakfast. They give us a pass and we hop on the monorail.

Yellow Shoes

I can see this thread becoming like the pool hopping threads.

I read that Polynesian guests were complaining that they couldn't find parking spots for thier cars.

Part of the reason was that non-resort guests were parking in the Polynesian lot.

And let's be honest with ourselves here--people were not parking at the Poly so they could ride the monorail--you can do that from the TTC.

They were parking at the Poly to avoid the $7 parking fee.

bjlc57

Originally posted by Coronado
The tram ride is part of the fun if you ask me. You are officially at WDW when you hear "sit back, hold tight, we'll be clear driver."
There are a lot of ways to get around in WDW... the old shortcut through hotel parking to bus to park routine is not as easy any more..... the main question........ WHY are you staying off site? Try to go back to the hotel for a quick nap.... just think of the logistics of it all back to TTC.... to car...to hotel... rest... back in car .... back to TTC.... back to monorail...back to park I get tired just thinking about it! There is an affordable hotel in the park for everyone....and they are all good... and clean.... and not next to high crime areas...and convenient.. :)

Let me say that at even $79 per night does not compare to $35 for a two room suite with a full kitchen. Doing the math and allowing for eating in my motel room, allows me to come to WDW.

I am a working stiff and not making six figures a year..

Just a Guy who never had a bad day at Disney...

SpongeScott

Originally posted by bjlc57
Let me say that at even $79 per night does not compare to $35 for a two room suite with a full kitchen. Doing the math and allowing for eating in my motel room, allows me to come to WDW.

I am a working stiff and not making six figures a year..

Just a Guy who never had a bad day at Disney...
Dude, $35 for a two room suite? Where are you staying and what is your secret?

From a working stiff......

Cosmo

Personally, I think the easiest thing to do is park at EPCOT! The parking lot there is hardly full or even close. You can usually park within walking distance of the front gate. So park, walk to the monorail, ride over to TTC and then transfer to magic kingdom. It works well at the end of the night too, as there's not usually that much traffic leaving the epcot lot.

Yeah, its a roundabout way, but seeing as how i love the monorail, and epcot is my favourite park, i get the best of both worlds! :slurp:

bjlc57

Originally posted by sandjhooker
Dude, $35 for a two room suite? Where are you staying and what is your secret?

From a working stiff......

Days Inn at Holiday mall ...$35 using the Florida travelers discount guide..
This room includes living room with hideabed, full kitchen, and bedroom with two king size beds.. I have stayed there four times.. I understand that you can get almost the same deal at the Days Inn near the gate.. btw years ago, they used to give you a free tank of gas to go with the room as well.. THIS IS NOT A LIE... breakfest is free daily..

I have booked my brother in law in the same place as well as a reporter for my local newspaper who was covering a shuttle launch...

Just a Guy who has never had a bad day a Disney...

Invero

As someone who's worked in Monorails during the busy park closes, I can tell you... It is *NOT* always quicker to get on the Resort Monorail to bypass crowds to get to the TTC.

During an exit, we typically run 4 Express trains, and only 3 Resort trains. Express trains hold in the station for 60-75 seconds, and once that train leaves, the next train is only 75 seconds away. With proper staffing, we can pack close to 275-300 people per train. That's 275 people every 2.5 minutes. That means that huge line you see, it moves VERY quickly. The ride to the TTC is only about 3 minutes.

The Resort monorail on the other hand... it holds in stations for 2-5 minutes. And intervals often run 5-8 minutes apart. Because trains arrive into the station with folks already on board, we can only fit maybe 100 people on at the Magic Kingdom. This is why we ask only for Contemporary, Polynesian, and Grand Floridian guests, since capacity is limited. Ride times to the TTC can be anywhere from 6-10 minutes.

So you can see, despite the larger line, we really move people. And if you're just trying to avoid crowds, well, the Resort Monorail gets just as jam packed. Check out the Ferry if you want to avoid jam packed crowds.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
if you MUST park at one of the monorail resorts...

at least have the decency to valet your car. That way you aren't affecting the people who rely on the regular guest lot.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom