Monorail or Ferry?

okcthunder

Original Poster
Which one is quicker to the Magic Kingdom, and which one do you prefer? I think the Ferry is quicker but I prefer the Monorail, I can get on a boat anywhere but a monorail not so much...

cw1982

Doesn't the monorail run more frequently? I definitely want to do both at some point during my trip! We'll be going to MK at least twice, but probably more like three times during the course of our 6-day trip.

BoarderPhreak

Monorail in the morning to get into the park quickly. Ferry in the evening (or after the close) when there's no (personal) rush to leave. There's definitely a rush of people though. ;)

Depends though. Take whichever one is less crowded at the time.

Tom

Beta Return
The ferries hold something like 2.5 times the capacity of a packed monorail train. And with the addition of the second dock at both the TTC and MK, the ferry system should be able to out-pace the monorail at park opening.

On the flip side, the monorail is fun....but you can use it in the middle of the day or when you leave, when you're not in a hurry.

Goofyernmost

Used to always head for the Monorail. Then I discovered the ferry. I enjoy it much more when arriving because you get a quiet, pleasant ride across the lagoon and can watch MK get closer and closer. I do the same thing in the evening no matter what time I leave. I don't see a lot of difference between the number of people waiting for the ferry and the number waiting for the Monorail, however, once they board they usually completely empty the queue so I think it is a time saver.

I do still love riding the Monorail, so always try to have at least one park hopping day with Epcot and MK. Then I get my Monorail fix and my ferry fix. Also, since my first time visiting MK in 83, I have always considered the tram as part of the experience. To me, something is missing without starting my day on the tram to TTC.

disney4life2008

I am the minority - I do not get the same excitement as everyone else on the monorail. I prefer the ferry - while slower, it is nothing like being on the water and seeing the MK edge closer and closer. And the views along the way are perfect.

KLinder7

Monorail there and boat on the way home after close! I know if you are staying at the GF monorail to MK is quicker as the boat from GF goes to the Poly then MK.

kap91

The monorail is nearly always quicker even if you have to wait for one or two. Unless you catch the ferry right as it's leaving you wait a long time. Heck the last time I took the ferry I think it was nearly an hour from the time I walked into the queue to when I disbarked. That was mid afternoon. The new dock setup might change this but I don't see it making THAT much of a difference.

Killnme

I usually catch the monorail on the way in and out. But if I am there at park closing I take the ferry just b/c I get on it faster.

Mawg

Doesn't the monorail run more frequently? I definitely want to do both at some point during my trip! We'll be going to MK at least twice, but probably more like three times during the course of our 6-day trip.
It says in your signature you are staying at Pop Century? Are you renting a car or using their buses? You only have to take the Monorail or Ferry if you park in the MK parking lot. There are other reasons to take the Monorail or Ferry but it seemed like the thread was more pointing towards what do people like most to get to MK.

Me, even if I rented a car, on my MK day I use the busses if staying on site so that I can skip the parking, the tram to the TTS and then skip the Ferry or Monorail and be dropped off right in front. But maybe just maybe next time I will stay at a monorail resort and skip the bus!

cw1982

It says in your signature you are staying at Pop Century? Are you renting a car or using there buses? You only have to take the Monorail or Ferry if you park in the MK parking lot. There are other reasons to take the Monorail or Ferry but it seemed like the thread was more pointing towards what do people like most to get to MK.

Me, even if I rented a car, on my MK day I use the busses if staying on site so that I can skip the parking, the tram to the TTS and then skip the Ferry or Monorail and be dropped off right in front. But maybe just maybe next time I will stay at a monorail resort and skip the bus!

Yes, we are staying at the Pop Century, but we are doing a good bit of hopping around the parks, particularly on two days when we are going between MK and Epcot. There is one day where we are spending the day at Epcot and eating dinner at BoG, and on our last day in the parks we will start in the MK to revisit some of our favorites before heading to Epcot to finish out the trip at WS that evening. Our first day there, we will be heading straight to MK after checking in at the Pop, and we may decide we don't want to wait for the bus, depending on what time we get to the hotel (our first FP+ is at 3:40, and I don't want to miss it lol... shouldn't be an issue, but you never know!)

It's true that the thread was more about best means to get to MK as necessary, but since we'll be going around the World a few times, this may apply to me too :)

thomas998

Which one is quicker to the Magic Kingdom, and which one do you prefer? I think the Ferry is quicker but I prefer the Monorail, I can get on a boat anywhere but a monorail not so much...
It depends on the line for the monorail... If there is no line for the monorail with a queue beyond the ramp then use the monorail... but if you are there when it is busy and there is a huge line use the ferry. The biggest downside to the ferry is that it holds more people so when you arrive at MK if the ferry was full then you are in the middle of a huge mass of people pushing to get in. Also remember the monorail has AC the ferry doesn't so when its hot the monorail wins hands down.

FLmom

We only do the Ferry.. for some reason my daughter feels safer on it. She's more scared of being stuck on in the air on the monorail and having to climb down a FD ladder truck ladder then having to swim for it.

acishere

I switch it up depending on the crowds. When it was packed I got on the resort loop monorail with no wait. In the Florida heat, I'll take whatever gives me the most time in air conditioning. It probably took the same amount of time as the ferry with the queue packed to the gills.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom