Monorail Issues

Missymoe4

Original Poster
I just returned from a 12 day trip to WDW. In the following days, I will provide a full trip report.

However, for now I would like to ask this question--have you seen a decrease in how the monorail has been running?

I stayed in both the Contemporary and the Polynesian for the duration of my trip. I relied on the monorail, mainly the resort loop to the MK. Not only did my brother and I notice a huge increase in travel time (25 mins from the Contemporary to the MK), but we also noticed how many people get on from the MK and get off at the TTC, using the resort loop. Now, this wouldn't be a problem for the most part, but what about the people who are staying on that resort loop? Why must we always have to stand and/or break up our party to slip into a tiny space?

Also, I don't know if it was due to high crowd levels, the heat, or what, but we encountered many cast members that were very rude. For instance, a mother with a three person stroller (all side by side--imagine how wide that one is) ran my brother over. He tripped and fell. The monorail castmember walked over and told my brother that he wasn't allowed on that monorail, and sent him to the back of the line.

What is going on? It's sad to say that I have experienced better service on the L in Chicago.

Any thoughts?

captainkidd

We were at the Poly last week, and noticed the monorail stopping for further "clearance" many times. And the resort monorail was very slow as well.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
They are one monorail down currently, so capacity is slightly reduced. There is also the addition of Bay Lake Tower which has added a lot more guests onto the Resort line.

mrerk

Premium Member
I just returned from a 12 day trip to WDW. In the following days, I will provide a full trip report.

However, for now I would like to ask this question--have you seen a decrease in how the monorail has been running?

I stayed in both the Contemporary and the Polynesian for the duration of my trip. I relied on the monorail, mainly the resort loop to the MK. Not only did my brother and I notice a huge increase in travel time (25 mins from the Contemporary to the MK), but we also noticed how many people get on from the MK and get off at the TTC, using the resort loop. Now, this wouldn't be a problem for the most part, but what about the people who are staying on that resort loop? Why must we always have to stand and/or break up our party to slip into a tiny space?

Also, I don't know if it was due to high crowd levels, the heat, or what, but we encountered many cast members that were very rude. For instance, a mother with a three person stroller (all side by side--imagine how wide that one is) ran my brother over. He tripped and fell. The monorail castmember walked over and told my brother that he wasn't allowed on that monorail, and sent him to the back of the line.

What is going on? It's sad to say that I have experienced better service on the L in Chicago.

Any thoughts?

Maybe they were trying to get to Epcot?

As Steve said, they are down one monorail. But if the trains are constantly waiting for clearance I don't see how adding another would alleviate that.

We were talking with a monorail CM at the CR platform one afternoon. He said Monorail Black had been having issues lately. This was maybe 2PM and he said Black had been sent back to the shop twice already.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

Any thoughts?
This has been common practice for quite some time. It is a time saving tactic that is mentioned in nearly ever Disney guide book. The resort monorail is not designated at "resort guests only" it is merely the monorail that will stop at each resort.

floridabill

Any thoughts?

And one more thing to add to there clean up list!! I don't know what there deal is but they better fix it fast!! I mean it's ridiculous, now when you go to WDW you are guaranteed and expect A. Rude nasty service! B. To DIE/ get INJURED!! C. Long wait times for everything!! D. THE WORST FOOD EVER!!! E. resort accommodations that are comparable to MOTEL 6 OR ECONO LODGE!!!....No those put disney resorts to shame!!!!
And finally have your kid severely beaten by characters or groped!!!!

Another reason why Universal, bush gardens and sea world are the new disney!! They treat people with respect, they don't have half finished parks, and they are extremely clean!!!

This is why when we stayed at the Poly this past December, we always took the Ferry back and forth if it was running. It was much faster and took a lot more people.

mp2bill

What? Did the CM give a reason? Did he think your brother was trying to cause trouble?

They are one monorail down currently, so capacity is slightly reduced. There is also the addition of Bay Lake Tower which has added a lot more guests onto the Resort line.

Ahhhh Steve, always the voice of reason.

mrerk

Premium Member
This has been common practice for quite some time. It is a time saving tactic that is mentioned in nearly ever Disney guide book. The resort monorail is not designated at "resort guests only" it is merely the monorail that will stop at each resort.

But does it really save time? Maybe after fireworks, parade or closing when there is a long line for the express. I would think the express would be quicker the rest of the time.

mrerk

Premium Member
This is why when we stayed at the Poly this past December, we always took the Ferry back and forth if it was running. It was much faster and took a lot more people.

On a similar note, we found it quicker to walk to and from BLT. By the time we took the monorail to the CR, escalator to the 4th floor and elevator to the ground floor (the 4th floor Skyway Bridge was closed when we were there) and walked back to BLT we could have walked the half mile from the MK to BLT. If the Skyway Bridge had been open it may have been a different story.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
But does it really save time? Maybe after fireworks, parade or closing when there is a long line for the express. I would think the express would be quicker the rest of the time.
The travel time is about a wash to possibly a little shorter on the resort loop. Where you will save a good bit of time is in the wait for the monorail. The line for the express monorail is typically significantly longer during the fireworks dump than the line for the resort loop.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom