Monorail expansion?

StevenT

Originally posted by Gustavo
But why don't you think this kind of transportation wouldn't be functional in an urban site?

If you would install a TTA system in a city (having nothing to do with Disney) as a mass transport system, I think it could work quite well. It'd have to be in a larger scale, probably with enclosed cars, and maybe underground like a subway. But I think what could be beneficial is the constant stream of vehicles so there is a constantly moving line. The magnetic propusion system would probably be very reliable. If I remember correctly I think it's somewhere around 40% of the magnets on the TTA can fail and the cars will still run (not right next to each other obviously). It would be an interesting system to test in a small downtown area of some city, like the entertainment district of somewhere. (If anybody knows anything of Tampa, a TTA would be a cool alternative to their new streetcars)

Heyyall

Disney is a city tthen? Really? It has it's own mayor? Magic Kingdom City Hall is real then? Man ... is this true? I never would thought of that. I allways thought that Disney World were on Orlando's territory.

I'm not sure if you're kidding or not, but in case you aren't no, City Hall isn't real. I always thought it was on Orlando's territory too. I don't believe it has it's own Mayor either.

Gustavo

Original Poster
:lol: Sorry Heyyall ... I take everythink leterally...but I was joking about Magic Kingdom's city hall being a real city hall...although...thinking more carrefully...it would be great to have a city hall like that one, wouldn't it?

Hey StevenT, I totally agree with you...I think TTA would be awsome in small downtown areas...an important aspect of this transportation system is the fact that is has this constant stream of vehicles ... and most important: it is a non polution transport. And imagine how cool would a downtown area look with TTA riding over it! :D
Just not quite sure if it is too expensive to built though....Perhaps Disney could built one in that "Celebration" suburb. Then I would have to move there, for sure :lol:

StevenT

The Disney property is not part of the city of Orlando. It's actually two rural areas, I wish I remember what they were called (Look at the top of the fire station near Downtown Disney). This basically allows Disney to tax themselves, maintain and patrol their own roads and basically function as their own city. Most likely they can make their own building codes as long as they fit federal regulations (i.e. Tower of Terror is 199 feet tall to avoid the FAA regulation of a light on buildings over 200 feet.)

You'll also notice that there are no guest areas in one of the two areas above mentioned for reasons I can't remember.

If someone knows more about this I'd love to hear it.

StevenT

I've got a bit more on my earlier post. It's called the Reedy Creek Development area. The second area name escapes me. But ALL guest areas are in the Reedy Creek area. Like I said, check the fire department, or a truck if you see one. It'll say RCFD (Reedy Creek Fire Department).

A picture is here at the July 14th 2003 entry:
http://www.wdwmagic.com/around.htm

raven

Here's a blurb about WDW being it's own district:

"Walt wanted total control over the design and construction of his city and recreational facilities. This would not only enable his team to create and build whatever they wanted without going through local government approval, but could demonstrate how a completely self-sufficient city like EPCOT could run. However, they would have extreme difficulty under existing conditions. The property was in two different counties, each with separate building codes and zoning ordinances. EPCOT needed its own governing body that would oversee public services, such as fire protection and utility services, including environmental protection, and at the same time self-legislate and regulate its own building methods and the use of new technologies and materials for every project taking place inside the property. The Disney company created a proposal for a self-controlled governing district with the assistance of Orange and Osceola county legislators. This proposal was presented to the Florida legislature and approved on May 12, 1967, forming the Reedy Creek Improvement District. Out of this district, two cities were established: Lake Buena Vista and Bay Lake. Now Florida taxpayers would not have to spend public money on Disney construction, and the Disney company would not have to rely on state agencies for approval of anything it built." -This exerpt was taken from the WDW History page on this site.

Now as far as an expansion goes, I heard a few years back that it would cost $1 Million per mile. I don't know how that figure came to be but it just looks like a buch of conrete to me. :D

Gustavo

Original Poster
Has this expansion have a route set yet?
One more question ... why do I have the impression that much more money is speent on Disney World than in Disneyland?

raven

One more question ... why do I have the impression that much more money is speent on Disney World than in Disneyland?

Well that's kind of obvious.

First of all, Disneyland and DCA are 2 parks sitting on one small property. WDW is 4 parks, 2 waterparks, golf courses, lots of resorts, and everything else sitting on a land twice the size of the island of Manhattan. Disneyland is only 1/5 the size of the Magic Kingdom at WDW.

Gustavo

Original Poster
not only these...but I've heard that they are thinking on shuting down Disneylands monorail...while on Florida they are planing to expand it.:confused:

StevenT

Thanks for that information about the area, I couldn't quite remember it all. As for more money spent at WDW than Disneyland, that's all fine and good to me :D . Living 3 hours from WDW, I've had no reason to go all the way to California.

StevenT

not only these...but I've heard that they are thinking on shuting down Disneylands monorail...while on Florida they are planing to expand it.:confused:

Shut down the Disneyland Monorail? I doubt that

Quick add in... has anybody seen the Tokyo Disney Monorails? They are really cool. We need those here :D

Invero

Lake Buena Vista DOES have a Mayor actually... not sure who, but he/she lives near Saratoga Springs.

As for the Monorail Expansion... I'm not even gonna touch that issue.

wdwjmp239

Are there any possibility that the monorail system will be expanded to Animal's kingdom and MGM, or maybe to the water parks?
Thanks
Gustavo

I asked the same question Friday night when my g/f and I were on our way back from Epcot. We had asked to sit in front where the driver is and I asked him what the deal was with the "monorail expansion."

He said that the footings are in place for the monorail support columns, but there are no plans (as of yet) to expand the monorail system.

Then, when I made a mention of the "monorail" (which I meant to say "light-rail") between Orlando and Tampa, he jumped me and said, "It's not going to be a monorail!" -- well excuse the hell out of me.. it was a mistake! ;)

Then again, it was late (11pm) when we got on the monorail and the driver wasn't looking forward to getting off at 2am!

TimeTrip

Originally posted by StevenT
Quick add in... has anybody seen the Tokyo Disney Monorails? They are really cool. We need those here :D
I've seen pictures and heard the system is really cool. However, I think that the huge window space on the WDW monorails would make me prefer them over the tokyo monorails :(.

disney04

on nov 4 2003 were on the bus to mgm and the bus diver said look at the swan the black box on the swan was apost to be the monorail cut out but for the price of one mile of track they will be able to buy two times the bus they have now :wave:

wdwjmp239

Originally posted by disney04
on nov 4 2003 were on the bus to mgm and the bus diver said look at the swan the black box on the swan was apost to be the monorail cut out but for the price of one mile of track they will be able to buy two times the bus they have now :wave:

It's an expensive project to expand. Plus, do you think the ticket prices will remain the same? I don't think so. Disney has to get the money from somewhere. :)

UNLESS!!! DISNEY HAS A CAPITAL PROJECT IMPROVEMENT FUND!! ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom