Monorail breakdown

scotty_l

Originally posted by Monorail Lime

The only time I know of that guests had to slide down the nose onto the beam was when Mark IV silver caught on fire on the Epcot beam many years ago. Most of the time waiting for a tow or Reedy Creek is the best action. [/B]

The real reason for the Monorail Silver fire was a side tire that got hung up and dragged from Epcot. The Monorail did catch on fire near the straigtaway on the North South Road just over bridge one. When the train caugt on fire the passengers opened the door. They did this by sticking their arm out of the Mark IV window and popping the latch on tyhe bottom side of the handle. They then climbed out on top of the cars and walked down to the nose.

After this incident WDW did some immediate actions; first they installed hatches on every Mark IV train two in every car, they instituted a back cab, an intercom system was made available that immediately rang the front or back cab operator, Reedy Creek developed a Monorail evacuation plan that included ordering a new truck and even using ropes to evacute passengers ( I know I filmed an excellent video of evacuting a train by ropes to the ground for the test), Managaers were given strict guidelines on whether to dispatch a train with any report of any odor or sound (In fact a Supervisor was fired shortly after for dispatching a train with a suspected odor), and also new Allison heat detection device was installed on Monorail Coral that was supposed to detect heat in the wheel wells to prevent something like the monorail silver fire from happenning again.

BTW the Reedy Creek truck can reach the train if it is stuck near the Grand Flo, but only the end the passengers will still need to travel down the train to the waiting basket. On the Mark VI there are hand rails on top of the train as well as a rope that comes down the the nose of the train.

Scotty
ex-Monorail Central

Phantom Mickey

I read on a couple of different webpages that if a monrail was to breakdown or have some sort of fire or mishap that the main escape plan is out on top of the monorail and right down the front onto the track where you would then walk the monorail track to get away from the monorail.

Can anyone like confirm this or have a story about it or anything of that nature?

I like you got info from the web.
There are stages of emergency considered if a monorail breaks down, but we know that never happens, right?

If the monorail just stops mid track, and it cannot be restarted or moved in a reasonable amount of time, they bring out one of the tractors to pull/push it to the monorail garage. In this case, the guests would sit inside the monorail cars until they can be removed safely.

If the monorail stops in an emergency, say a fire on the rear car. In this case, it is in the best interests for the guests to evacuate the monorail car. There are emergency hatches in the roof for the guests to climb out. Along the center of the roof are handles which the guest can hold, hand by hand as they move up to the next car to a zone of safety.

IF THE GUESTS MUST GET OFF OF THE MONORAIL and there are not services to take them off the monorail, in extreme emergency, there is a plan to have the guest go down the nose of the monorail and onto the track. This would have to be an absolutely LAST RESORT and I can't imagine only the very worst scenario leading to this type of rescue.

The report I read was supposedly written by a monorail pilot so this info could be right on and it could have holes in it but it sounds reasonable and I know the handles are along the middle of the monorail roof. You can see them as they pull into the stations, and obviously the emergency evactuation hatches are in place as well.
KUNGALOOSH

DisAl

A bit of trivia.
Someone mentioned the MAPO system. At least on the steam trains the safety systems are called MAPO because the profits from the movie Mary Poppins paid for many of the safety systems upgrades.
Now maybe a CM can tell me if that is really true or if the engineer on the "Magic Behind Our Steam Trains" tour was just pulling my leg.....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom