Monorail breakdown

Steveo83

Original Poster
I read on a couple of different webpages that if a monrail was to breakdown or have some sort of fire or mishap that the main escape plan is out on top of the monorail and right down the front onto the track where you would then walk the monorail track to get away from the monorail.

Can anyone like confirm this or have a story about it or anything of that nature?

Worldphile

Originally posted by Steveo83
I read on a couple of different webpages that if a monrail was to breakdown or have some sort of fire or mishap that the main escape plan is out on top of the monorail and right down the front onto the track where you would then walk the monorail track to get away from the monorail.

Can anyone like confirm this or have a story about it or anything of that nature?

I think that if the monorail were to break down, I would sit tight and wait. If I was suddenly in immediate danger (e.g. a fire) I guess you could do what you described, but it would have to be pretty bad in the monorail cabin to get me to leave.

That beam doesn't look more than a foot or two wide. And, it is pretty high up. Maintaining your balance on it while waiting for the cavalry to arrive would get pretty hairy. :eek:

RobFL

Account Suspended
I think the climb out on the beam thing is for serious fires and such. A normal breakdown would just have a tow ;)

If that ever happened, I would hope it would be on the Epcot in-park loop. Then it's either over water *splash down* or not too far above the ground. The nearby attractions could probably have a ladder to you in minutes.

-Rob

wdwjmp239

Originally posted by DCA Fan
They send a special "tow truck" to push or pull you into a station to get you out, I believe.

Does anyone have a picture of this tow-truck? I also heard that if they cant' get the truck out, they bump monorails so that one monorail is pushing the other..... is this true?

jmarc63

In the event of an emergency where a rescue is necessary the reedy creek fire department has a specialily designed apparatus for such emergencys . It has been in operation since 1990. Here is a discription and picture from there website

Tower 31

This vehicle was specifically designed for monorail rescue. It has all wheel drive (6x6) capabilities and can transport up to 5 personnel including the driver. The aerial platform extends to 62 feet. It carries equipment used for high angle rescue, fire suppression and ventilation.
Built by E-ONE (1990)
200 gallon water tank
250 GPM pump (Hale)

Attachments

• rcidtw31_side.gif
    rcidtw31_side.gif
    46 KB · Views: 209

RobFL

Account Suspended
Really strange thing I saw once..

I was opening at UoE, so I was outside setting up the poles, and well, monorail silver or black (I forget which) went by, no biggie.

Then like less than a min later (there's usually about 6-7min between them) monorail Red comes by full speed and then slams on its breaks and makes a very unfriendly noise right over the main Future World East walkway comming to a dead stop.. and then behind it monorail Yellow is slowing to a stop right before it gets to the edge of the fences behind UoE.

Twas odd. An emergency situation type test? Miscalculation? Breakdown?

-Rob

wdwjmp239

Originally posted by jmarc63
In the event of an emergency where a rescue is necessary the reedy creek fire department has a specialily designed apparatus for such emergencys . It has been in operation since 1990. Here is a discription and picture from there website

Tower 31

This vehicle was specifically designed for monorail rescue. It has all wheel drive (6x6) capabilities and can transport up to 5 personnel including the driver. The aerial platform extends to 62 feet. It carries equipment used for high angle rescue, fire suppression and ventilation.
Built by E-ONE (1990)
200 gallon water tank
250 GPM pump (Hale)

What happens if say the monorail breaks down between The Grand Floridian Station and The Magic Kingdom station at that "high point" over the water? What do they use there?

jmarc63

Originally posted by ntn_haqqer

Does anyone have a picture of this tow-truck? I also heard that if they cant' get the truck out, they bump monorails so that one monorail is pushing the other..... is this true?

I am not an expert on the Monorails design but I do know that"Bummbing" Monorails noses is NOT possible, if they did the fiberglass nose would be destroyed from the action. I don't know if it has ever been used or what it is for but under the nose on the skirt there a "latch" of some kind. It looks like itcould connect to a cable for towing??

Fantasia Boi Help comfirm this.

wdwjmp239

Originally posted by jmarc63

Tower 31

Built by E-ONE (1990)
200 gallon water tank
250 GPM pump (Hale)

By the way -- cool pic! Thanks! :)

jmarc63

What happens if say the monorail breaks down between The Grand Floridian Station and The Magic Kingdom station at that "high point" over the water? What do they use there?

Probably tower 31. It has a 65 foot reach and the canal over by MK is not that wide where it couldnt be used. Thats what it was designed to do.

wdwjmp239

Originally posted by RobFL

I was opening at UoE, so I was outside setting up the poles, and well, monorail silver or black (I forget which) went by, no biggie.

Then like less than a min later (there's usually about 6-7min between them) monorail Red comes by full speed and then slams on its breaks and makes a very unfriendly noise right over the main Future World East walkway comming to a dead stop.. and then behind it monorail Yellow is slowing to a stop right before it gets to the edge of the fences behind UoE.

-Rob

That must've been a sound that was quite "pleasant" to the ears. Now, let me ask you this....

What are the "timers" used for at the monorail stations? You'll notice that when a monorail pulls in, the clock goes from 00:00 and start counting up.. 00:01.. 00:02...00:03.. when the monorail departs from the station, there will be a time on the clock 03:45 -- then once the monorail departs from the station, it resets to 00:00.

RobFL

Account Suspended

I know by UoE in the backstage area it crosses over which is hilly and difficult to climb by foot, nevermind in a fire truck, there is a giant 4 wheel drive all terrain cherry picker with an idustrial sized platform that could probably hold about 10-20 people.

-Rob

RobFL

Account Suspended

That must've been a sound that was quite "pleasant" to the ears. Now, let me ask you this....

What are the "timers" used for at the monorail stations? You'll notice that when a monorail pulls in, the clock goes from 00:00 and start counting up.. 00:01.. 00:02...00:03.. when the monorail departs from the station, there will be a time on the clock 03:45 -- then once the monorail departs from the station, it resets to 00:00.

I'm not sure what the exact timing is, but I've always assumed it was about 5-6mins between vehicles.

It's probably just a safety between vehicles. Everyone drives around at an average speed at certain points and the loop takes a certain amount of time, thus, when you get to the station, you have a little window to sit there ebfore you need to move so the next train can pull in. It probably is jsut letting drivers and station CM's know when to tell people "sorry, wait, the train has to go" so that the next train doesn't have to stop on the track. I've had to wait to enter the station because another monorail was taking too long to load in the station, and that is not the most pleasent "stops" - sorta jerky, so I can see why they would try to avoid that situation.

-Rob

MrPromey

Originally posted by RobFL

-Rob

I’m sure a few of our Cast Members that are members here can explain this better than me but until they get here, I’m going to tell you what I believe to be accurate information: In short, the monorail has something to the effect of safety zones. Think of them as a personal bubble of space for each monorail. They are not supposed to get within certain distances of each other and when they do, the air brakes automatically kick in on the offending train to prevent potential collisions. Obviously, if one train were to stop and the drivers of the others weren’t stopping for some reason, their trains would get the brakes and everyone inside (if they had passengers) would be in for a big surprise. I know that they sometimes test these brakes at slow speeds with guests in the trains but this may have been something at a higher speed that could potentially be a danger or serious discomfort to guests and as such was being done before hours…

Incidentally, those clocks have nothing to do with keeping the trains in sync. I’m not sure about their purpose but I can tell you beyond a reasonable doubt that they go by more than a stopwatch when it comes to leaving and entering stations.

RobFL

Account Suspended
True, they do use mroe than a stopwatch, but i'm thinking it's there as a reference for CM on the platform moreso than the drivers.

-Rob

disneyisbest

I remember one time back in the 80's when there was a monorail that caught on fire because of a cigarette(someone obviously breaking the rules for this to happen)anyway I saw a pic of it in our newspaper. However I don't remember what the device was they used to evacuate the people?

Monorail Lime

The station timers are used as a guide for stops. During busy times you don't want the monorail in the station for too long. They have absolutely nothing to do with monorail spacing or safety.

The monorails use a block signaling system like MrPromey mentioned. There should be two hold points between each train. If there are two hold points between you and the next train your display shows a yellow signal which tells you to stop before the next hold point. If you go over that hold point, you get an "overrun" and are in big trouble. The monorail automatically comes to a full emergency stop.

The situation RobFL described could be a test of the MAPO system. Monorails intentionally run the hold point to make sure they stop and the brakes work. The monorail probably wasn't at "full speed", but rather 15 MPH or so.

The only time I know of that guests had to slide down the nose onto the beam was when Mark IV silver caught on fire on the Epcot beam many years ago. Most of the time waiting for a tow or Reedy Creek is the best action.

RobFL

Account Suspended
Originally posted by Monorail Lime

The only time I know of that guests had to slide down the nose onto the beam was when Mark IV silver caught on fire on the Epcot beam many years ago. Most of the time waiting for a tow or Reedy Creek is the best action.

Maybe thats why the Silver section I saw going down I-4 was in a seriously "Grubby" looking condition.

-Rob

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom