Monorail/boat issues 7/3

formercast84

Could of been 1)Maintence check 2)slow pilot if there are only 3 trains on the beam.It's easy to have a lost train.If there's lost power on the beam your not going anywhere.Guest get a little exicited when you hit the dead beamway and the trains arcs. Gives new meaning to the 4th of July.:ROFLOL:

A dead beam is rare, but a reduce power on the system isn't unusual. They trains have to move slower because they aren't getting enough power for standard operations. It happens more often than people think.

james15

A dead beam is rare, but a reduce power on the system isn't unusual. They trains have to move slower because they aren't getting enough power for standard operations. It happens more often than people think.
I guess i just never had the privledge.Seems like reduced power on the beamway would cause all kinds of havoc on the inverters and not really good on the traction motors.It must be a problem that they have fixed, because in a year and a half, i never saw it.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I guess i just never had the privledge.Seems like reduced power on the beamway would cause all kinds of havoc on the inverters and not really good on the traction motors.It must be a problem that they have fixed, because in a year and a half, i never saw it.

Why would they need power inverters. The beam is DC, the motors run off DC, the lights run off DC, the sound system runs off DC...

james15

The internal power supply system consists of 2 buss stabilizers,7 inverters,the low voltage power supply,and battery back up power.Functions of the inverters are;Inverts 370 VDC from the buss stabilizers to 230 VAC to power additional systems.Inverters 1,2,4,5,and 7 send power to two air conditioning units each.Inverter 3 sends power to both cab air conditioning units,the air compressor ,and the ceiling lights.Inverter 6 sends power to two air conditioning units and the battery charger.Inverter 3 is the most importan because it runs the air compressor.Air pressure falls to low, train will not move.It's possible if there was a power sytem problem at a rectifier that it could cause issues with the mapo system and result in reduced speed.But it would only effect that section of the beam and not slow service down that much.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
The internal power supply system consists of 2 buss stabilizers,7 inverters,the low voltage power supply,and battery back up power.Functions of the inverters are;Inverts 370 VDC from the buss stabilizers to 230 VAC to power additional systems.Inverters 1,2,4,5,and 7 send power to two air conditioning units each.Inverter 3 sends power to both cab air conditioning units,the air compressor ,and the ceiling lights.Inverter 6 sends power to two air conditioning units and the battery charger.Inverter 3 is the most importan because it runs the air compressor.Air pressure falls to low, train will not move.It's possible if there was a power sytem problem at a rectifier that it could cause issues with the mapo system and result in reduced speed.But it would only effect that section of the beam and not slow service down that much.

thank you. Learn something new everyday! :wave:

sportzfrk480

Anybody know what was wrong with the resort monorails on 7/3, and why they did not have boat service to certain resorts?

Going to MK from GF around 6pm, we waited more than 15 minutes for a monorail to arrive. At that rate, I'm guessing they only had one or two on the line.

Going back to GF after fireworks was even worse. The line to board monorails was expectedly huge. It was no surprise when a worker came along saying we'd probably be on the third monorail. What WAS surprising was that he said the NEXT monorail was 15 minutes away. That likely meant a 45 wait!

So we got out of line assuming the GF boat would be faster. You can imagine our surprise when we discovered the GF/Poly boat was not running. In fact, the signs had been removed from the dock! When and why was this boat route discontinued? Is it temporary? I can't believe they would not have it running during one of the busiest weekends of the summer.

Since we had gotten out of the monorail line, and to rejoin it would have meant an even longer wait, and since there are no MK-GF buses, we took the ferry to the TTC and then walked back to the GF!

It's nights like this that I wonder why Disney doesn't spend the $$ to build a drawbridge over the canal separating MK from the GF. They've already got the walking path that dead-ends at the canal. Why not extend it?

Ok... Lucky you im a boat pilot, and i was there the 3rd and the 4th. this is what happened... the monorails can and do fail at any given time and according to murphy's law that might just so happened to be during the fireworks. I was also told at the dock by my superiors that both monorails and boats would shut down during the fireworks, with the perimeter fireworks going off soo close to the lines and on the water. I know the boats shut down for a half hour before and a half hour after because of potential fallout from the island fireworks. whether the monorails actually closed for that reason i dont know. (The first guest sent down to our dock by monorails because they have broken down is usually the first we hear of it.) so that may have been it.

but as someone has already mentioned the boat route from MK to GF or Poly has been moved over to the dock with the campground and lodge, as we are in a drought (water line is down about 2 ft.) and docking where we used to is infeasible...

finally the walking path is not going to be finished anytime soon as the canal it is cut off by is the holding area for the electrical water pageant (which just so happens to be active during the fireworks), and a semi-backstage area, that channel is also the only way, if need be, to bring the liberty bell (the ferry around tom sawyer isle) back to dry dock and have maintenance performed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom