Monorail Automation Testing

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
Original Poster
This entire week the express beam has been closed during the daytime. It looks like monorail silver and red are being used to test the automation systems. I wish I got some pictures of it but there was one point where they were almost nose to nose at the TTC. It loooks like silver is the test subject because it has been shuttling back and forth the most and there are a lot of monorail cast members riding in the end cabs.

If anyone knows anything more I'd love to hear it.

trainplane3

I was waiting to leave the Contemporary when they shut the resort line down for this. Silver sat next to our monorail for about 20 seconds. There were several of what looked like sensors and cameras in the front and rear cockpits. Later in the day, I took a look at orange, I think that's what we were on, and it didn't have as many as silver did in the front.

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
Original Poster
If someone can get a picture of monorail blue there are some sort of decals on the stripe on the end cabs. I've been managing to miss it each time it passes.

Clamman73

If someone can get a picture of monorail blue there are some sort of decals on the stripe on the end cabs. I've been managing to miss it each time it passes.
Blue was on Epcot today. Here's a pic of a pic that I took today.
What was weird today on Epcot was that yellow, blue and green were on it before opening.
IMG_1974.JPG

flynnibus

Premium Member
The automated monorails will only be for select times per day. Monorail pilots will still very much be necessary.

That makes... basically zero sense. It makes sense for people to manage the load/unload.. but zero to infer that PILOTS are needed at different times of day. If you make a system automated, it has to be safe under all the operating conditions you'll expose it to. If you are only going to automate scenarios like.. the 'low capacity' train count and not your normal operating conditions.. you've wasted a ton. If you don't automate enough scenarios that you run manual a significant amount of your normal operating cycles... then you've not addressed the problems that manual operation presented.. so you've not really made progress.

The only thing 'automated some of the time' would try to address is labor costs.. and we know Disney isn't doing this because of labor. That has to be trivial vs the expense when Disney is paying chump change for drivers.

Figment2005

That makes... basically zero sense. It makes sense for people to manage the load/unload.. but zero to infer that PILOTS are needed at different times of day. If you make a system automated, it has to be safe under all the operating conditions you'll expose it to. If you are only going to automate scenarios like.. the 'low capacity' train count and not your normal operating conditions.. you've wasted a ton. If you don't automate enough scenarios that you run manual a significant amount of your normal operating cycles... then you've not addressed the problems that manual operation presented.. so you've not really made progress.

The only thing 'automated some of the time' would try to address is labor costs.. and we know Disney isn't doing this because of labor. That has to be trivial vs the expense when Disney is paying chump change for drivers.
Emergency situations. What happens if the monorail were to break down on the open beam and there is nobody to contact in the front. There aren't walkways along the track like what would be necessary of the pilot were to be removed. The new system is 75% better positioning system and 25% more efficient transport.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom