Monorail 101

peemagg

You must have got the the same driver that we did. We asked her one question and she said "that if we wanted to know the answer, then we need to ride in the back and listen". She was also African-American, and not happy at all that we were up there. She would have rather thrown us out somewhere between Mk and Epcot if she could. We enjoyed our ride anyways and will ride again if I get the chance.

TinkerBell25

I've heard from CM's that you can go two stops on the resort line. And there is not a monorail assigned to each resort because during slower times they run with two trains on the beam.

The last time we were there my daughter had us wait to set up front in the monorail numerous times in all the times we did it we never had any of the issues that people are talking about (being told you can only ride 1 stop or 2 stops or have to get off if someone is waiting). Considering half the time we were leaving from the Contemporary and going to the MK we were going 4 stops each time (parking/poly/floridian/mk). So I'm not sure I buy into this 1 stop 2 stop special train get off myth.

Jesùs_Carioca

I did not necissarily see this tip on the two pages, but if it's already been said and i overlooked it, my bad. It's helped many a few times for us though as we love staying in the Magic Kingdom until the last minutes possible (usually our last park of the day) when the masses decide to hit the monorail at the same time.

If it is late, and the express monorail's line to the Transportation and Ticket Center seems too long to handle, feel free to take the Resort Monorail. Although it makes a few stops on the way, it will still lead you to the Transportation and Ticket Center, and many tmes, not as crowded as the other would be on busy busy nights. A bit more relaxing, a bit calmer, more time you get to spend on the monorail...closer at-glance peeks at the two (or so) resorts you stop by, and overall a much funner experience.

ouuu...was i supposed to say that though? Hehe...woops.

Krozar

It can be hard to get the cab these days thanks to forums, I also think the Travel Channel played a part in this :D

Each train (on all lines) does have an assigned station, but that's not for the purpose of the FCE (Front Cab Experiences), at least not anymore. On MK Express and Epcot, the guests must exit at the next stop. On MK Resorts, guests can go to any of the 4 other stops on the loop. A full loop is typically not permitted on any beam. On the MK Resort loop, the CM will check to see if the cab is empty or if the guests are leaving.

At night, sometimes the MK Express goes one-way to MK. If loading the Resort trains from the Express side, then the front cab is not typically accessible. Drivers have allowed guests from that side, but it's bad practice because the loading CM may have denied requests from guests on the Express side. Then, the CM gets a very very livid guest after watching people get into the cab.

There isn't a special bench anymore. Some cages have a small queue area, but standing there means nothing without asking the CM. Some CMs don't even load from that gate, and instead load from the CM access gate. Four people is the MAXIMUM. Babies on a lap count as a person. I sometimes have guests tell me that their toddler is "half a person." Wow! That poor kid.

In rain and low visibility, cabs are not loaded. This is to decrease driver distractions. The other cases are when maintenance is aboard and during the first few days of drive training.

You also get a nice view of your ride and a good chance to learn more about the monorail system from the driver. Feel free to talk to them, they dont bite!

Aye, just be courteous about it. Don't be upset if the driver doesn't really talk much, safe operation of the trains is priority one. Some drivers are not good with handling many things at once, such as carrying a conversation when there is a lot of important radio traffic, keeping visual wherever possible, watching the MBS, system malfunctions (minor malfunctions are quite common), and constantly fighting the speed system in order to lower the cycle time. The priority is train operation -> radio -> guests in the cars (such as making spiels) -> guests in the cab.

If you have loud kids, please refrain from taking them in there. #1 cause of an overrun is due to driver and guest interaction. 3 overruns and the driver is gone.

Also, avoid saying: "don't these drive themselves?" No. It can't be automated without demo'ing and replacing all the beams with evac walkways, stairs, and railings. Of course, also replacing the 12 trains and installing a system to track the trains. Not many 12-train automated systems out there. The NY Metro is powered by drivers... so are we. The Tokyo Yamanote line has drivers, so does WDW.

It can be hard to get the cab these days thanks to forums, I also think the Travel Channel played a part in this :D

Each train (on all lines) does have an assigned station, but that's not for the purpose of the FCE (Front Cab Experiences), at least not anymore. On MK Express and Epcot, the guests must exit at the next stop. On MK Resorts, guests can go to any of the 4 other stops on the loop. A full loop is typically not permitted on any beam. On the MK Resort loop, the CM will check to see if the cab is empty or if the guests are leaving.

At night, sometimes the MK Express goes one-way to MK. If loading the Resort trains from the Express side, then the front cab is not typically accessible. Drivers have allowed guests from that side, but it's bad practice because the loading CM may have denied requests from guests on the Express side. Then, the CM gets a very very livid guest after watching people get into the cab.

There isn't a special bench anymore. Some cages have a small queue area, but standing there means nothing without asking the CM. Some CMs don't even load from that gate, and instead load from the CM access gate. Four people is the MAXIMUM. Babies on a lap count as a person. I sometimes have guests tell me that their toddler is "half a person." Wow! That poor kid.

In rain and low visibility, cabs are not loaded. This is to decrease driver distractions. The other cases are when maintenance is aboard and during the first few days of drive training.

Aye, just be courteous about it. Don't be upset if the driver doesn't really talk much, safe operation of the trains is priority one. Some drivers are not good with handling many things at once, such as carrying a conversation when there is a lot of important radio traffic, keeping visual wherever possible, watching the MBS, system malfunctions (minor malfunctions are quite common), and constantly fighting the speed system in order to lower the cycle time. The priority is train operation -> radio -> guests in the cars (such as making spiels) -> guests in the cab.

If you have loud kids, please refrain from taking them in there. #1 cause of an overrun is due to driver and guest interaction. 3 overruns and the driver is gone.

Also, avoid saying: "don't these drive themselves?" No. It can't be automated without demo'ing and replacing all the beams with evac walkways, stairs, and railings. Of course, also replacing the 12 trains and installing a system to track the trains. Not many 12-train automated systems out there. The NY Metro is powered by drivers... so are we. The Tokyo Yamanote line has drivers, so does WDW.

Most of what you say is true... one thing you missed was the riding in the rain. I've done it with my family on several different trips.

Krozar

Most of what you say is true... one thing you missed was the riding in the rain. I've done it with my family on several different trips.

Was probably light rain. But any significant rain that causes very low visibility should cause cabs are to be held. Although, it's Central who ultimately makes that call.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom