Monorail 101

Blizz

Original Poster
If you are trying to ride in the cabin of the monorail here are some tips:

1.) Each monorail resort has its own monorail for that day. Lets pretend that today the Polynesian has Monorail Black as its monorail for the day and you get on the monorail, in the cabin at the Contemporary and head for the Magic Kingdom. If when you get to the Polynesian there is a family that requests the cabin, you will be asked to sit in the rear because this monorail is reserved for this resort. I have never had this happen in my many times riding up-front but it can and does happen. So to prevent this ask the driver what resort (if you are riding the MK loop, resort line) this monorail is reserved for.

2.) There is a limit of 4 guests plus the driver for the cabin.

3.) To get to ride in the cabin, all you have to do is ask the monorail attendent at the station if there is anyone waiting to sit up front. If no, hey your in luck, just either sit on the special bench with monorail cabin pictures (there are 4 pictures, one for each butt of the 4 guests per cabin). If no, you have the option of waiting until the next monorail comes and ride then or taking a seat in the back.

NOTES: The cabin is usually quieter as you dont hear the mono speech. You also get a nice view of your ride and a good chance to learn more about the monorail system from the driver. Feel free to talk to them, they dont bite! Also, taking pictures out the cabin windows dont always turn out good. I have found most of mine with glare or a grainy shot of the window.

Dont be upset if you dont get to ride upfront at first, just try again next time. Trust me, its well worth taking the time to wait. I always enjoy the trip.

My other tip: If you are lucky and get the monorail at the right time and sit upfront. you can have the most amazing glimpse of Illuminations. Its not very long and your trip is pointless other then tha, because the park is closing but its worth it. BTW-It will be easy to the get the front for that trip because most are coming from Epcot not going to Epcot at that hour.

Good luck.

Cruella

Silly question? Can you ride the monorail if it doesn't pass by your hotel? I'm staying at the CBR and will have a rental car but would really like the chance to ride the rail at least once. Can I park at the Polynesian or another resort and ride to the MK from there?

GenerationX

Thanks for the tips, Blizz! I had planned on doing this, but didn't know the process or the limitations.

Cruella - when you go to the Magic Kingdom, you park at the Ticket & Transportation Center. From there, you have two options - a boat to the park or the monorail.

kal1484

My family usually drives over to one of the monorail resorts and then we visit each hotel and go on the monorail. One day, I was so bored, that I rode the monorail 10 times. :D

Blizz

Original Poster
Well to ride the monorail if you are not staying at a monorail resort. I would not park at the monorail resorts. They will only issue you a temp. parking pass for like 2 hours. ANd you only get that if you say you are dining there or are using the recreation such as boats.

Your best bet is park at the TTC and get the monorail there to Epcot or Magic Kingdom or hop on a bus from Downtown Disney, MGM, water parks, or Animal Kingdom to a monorail resort hotel.

Disneyanna0521

Account Suspended
i love the idea of riding it at night...as far as the "each hotel has its own monorail for the day"i didnt know that...riding up front is AWSOME!!!!!!!!!

just rode up front about tonight before i came home. I was at the ttc the monorail was packed nowbody up front i asked and they let me ride up their by myself. well the monorail was going to epcot, I had perfect timing right as they were shooting off illuminations!! then we got into future wourld and their was a monorail already in the station so the driver parked the monorail for a minute so everyone could watch illuminations. she said they usally stop a little later but this would make everyones vacation to see illuminations from the monorail. I wish I brought my digital camera with me, I would have videotapped it.:)

Blizz

Original Poster
Originally posted by StevenT
The only way to ride is up front on the way to Epcot. You get a spectacular view of Spaceship Earth :sohappy:

And its cool to ride on the Resort/MK Express loop and watch as you enter the Contemporary.

Tom

Beta Return
I was instructed by the Monorail Attendant that we would only be able to ride to the next resort if someone was waiting. There was no rule about color, or being reserved for a specific resort. If someone was waiting at the next stop, you lost your turn, period. So, we just took the Express Loop always, and rode up front every time - we'd wait for it.

The best is riding to and from EPCOT, that's for sure. Long ride, and great view of EPCOT as you come in!

monorail_man

Account Suspended
edwardtc said:
I was instructed by the Monorail Attendant that we would only be able to ride to the next resort if someone was waiting. There was no rule about color, or being reserved for a specific resort. If someone was waiting at the next stop, you lost your turn, period.

I have been told by many CM's that if ther is someone alreay in the cab when you are waiting and they are not departing the monorail, then you have to wait till the next monorail. So if YOU are in the cab and not departing and you pull into the next station and someoen is waiting, then THEY must wait.

Blizz said:
1.) Each monorail resort has its own monorail for that day. Lets pretend that today the Polynesian has Monorail Black as its monorail for the day and you get on the monorail, in the cabin at the Contemporary and head for the Magic Kingdom. If when you get to the Polynesian there is a family that requests the cabin, you will be asked to sit in the rear because this monorail is reserved for this resort. I have never had this happen in my many times riding up-front but it can and does happen. So to prevent this ask the driver what resort (if you are riding the MK loop, resort line) this monorail is reserved for.

Where did you get this information? The rule has always been. If you ask and no one is waiting at that station, then your up. and as I said above. if your in the cab and want to take the entire loop (once only) then you can. Now I have heard that you can ONLY stay in the cab for one round trip. After that they will ask you to move to the back.

Personal experaince. we were in the cab and there were 2 stations we pulled into and peopel were waiting for the cab. The driver asked if this was our stop. we said No and he just didnt open the door. We road the entire loop and when we returned to the GF (which was our starting point) he asked us to move to another car since we roade the loop.

there are 2 strobe lights on each end of the monorail one on the roof (changes color for the route) and there is one centered on the headlights. the one i front of the headlights is only operational on the rear of the monorail where the headlights are turned off.

Tom

Beta Return
monorail_man said:
I have been told by many CM's that if ther is someone alreay in the cab when you are waiting and they are not departing the monorail, then you have to wait till the next monorail. So if YOU are in the cab and not departing and you pull into the next station and someoen is waiting, then THEY must wait.

Wow, I posted that almost a year ago - guess we're really bringing back old threads, hehe.

Anyway, thanks for the comments. I have to say, and I'm afraid to say it without offending someone, but the driver who told us that was probalby the worst example of a cast member I've ever seen. I'm not being prejudiced, but the driver was an African American girl, who spoke what many people refer to as "ebonics" and had her shirt un-tucked and a pencil in her hair. She knew someone at the Contemporary Station and was chatting to them (I'm not sure what about), completely out of character and LOUD. When she got in, she looked at us, and said something to the tune of "you can only ride to the next stop if someone is waitin' then you gotta move to da back". Quite unprofessional - and if I had known better, i would have gotten her name and noted the shift and reported her - but I didn't.

So, needless to say, she most likely had no idea what the real rules are, since she was probably not paying a lot of attention in class - too busy talking. So, you're most likely right that you can ride around, up to one complete loop - that makes more sense.

monorail_man

Account Suspended
edwardtc said:
Wow, I posted that almost a year ago - guess we're really bringing back old threads, hehe.

Yeah. I just recently joined and went browsing.

Sorry to hear about your experiance with that monorial driver. I agree, she was not the best example of a Disney CM displaying Disney "Magic"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom