Trip Report Mom & Kids Take on the World COMPLETED

Well, like a few others lately I've been a long-time lurker on these boards - I actually read for years without an account, spending most of my time in these trip reports. Earlier this year I finally became official & I've commented on a few threads, but mostly still just read (I need to get better about that). But, inspired by @heatherhy01 and @akneeconnors I thought I'd a give my own report a go. And we're down to just 10 days until we're in the World!

So, here we go:

When: June 16 - 21, 2019
Where: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Bunk Bed room with a savanna view (yay! everyone gets their own bed!)
Who: Me, Jen, and my kids - Sam (14) and Jacob (12) my husband Jeremy decided to sit this trip out - he's not quite as Disney-obsessed as the rest of us & summer is a busy time at work for him. Here's us during our quick trip in January:

We're trying to keep with the mindset we had on our last trip of not stressing to do everything because we've been enough times to have experienced most everything multiple times. And we're actually taking a break this time around and just doing a pool day! VERY excited about that!

Current Plans:
Sunday, June 16

• Flight leaves CLE at 8:10 am and arrives at MCO at 12:15pm after a quick stop in Atlanta. Right now the plan is to grab a bite to eat at the airport before heading to the Magical Express, but excitement day of may change that.
  • Right now, the afternoon is open. We may spend some time at the pool or may go for a round of mini golf (since we have vouchers for a free round - yay!) or we may explore MK area resorts. We'll see what we feel like when we arrive.
  • Dinner @ Artist Point at 6:10. Snow White is my daughter's favorite character & she loves a good villian interaction, so this should be fun. My son is excited for Dopey.
Monday, June 17
  • Rope drop EMH at Animal Kingdom & try to get on FOP before the wait gets too long (this was the only highly desired FP we couldn't get
  • FP Na'vi River Journey, Safari & Festival of the Lion King
  • Dinner @ Yak & Yeti
Tuesday, June 18
  • Arrive to MK early, but not necessarily rope drop. My goal this day is to spend some time enjoying the entertainment on Main Street.
  • FP for Haunted Mansion, Peter Pan & Seven Dwarfs
  • Dinner @ The Plaza Restaurant
Wednesday, June 19
  • POOL DAY! We're going to relax/play at the pool, have lunch at the pool bar and generally just chill. Might fit mini golf in here if we don't go on arrival day.
  • Late afternoon we'll head to Disney Springs.
  • Dinner @ Planet Hollywood...not my top choice, but Sam really wants to have one of their milkshakes & Jacob is a bit of a picky eater, sooooo....
Thursday, June 20
  • Hollywood Studios! We finally get to ride Slinky Dog!
  • FP for Star Tours, Beauty & the Beast & Slinky Dog - will also try to ride Alien Swirling Saucers
  • Dinner @ Mama Melrose with the Fantasmic package (Fantasmic is Jacob's request)
Friday, June 21
  • Check luggage, then spend the morning at the pool.
  • Tragical Express pickup around 1pm :(
So that's what we have! The rest of this week will be consumed with dance recital activities, then just a few days to pack & get ready to leave. I might pop in a few times during the trip, but definitely not ready to attempt a full live report...now just to see if I can do as good of a job remembering things as all of the rest of you!

jlag1006

Original Poster
Day 4, cont.
When we woke from our naps, it was time to get ready to head to Disney Springs for some shopping & dinner. When we arrived, we headed straight for Disney Style as Sam likes to check here before going to World of Disney. We had just finished our first lap of the store when suddenly everyone’s phones were going off loudly.

Yikes! We’re in the middle of a store with nowhere to get away from glass. So, we spent a bit more time than we planned here waiting out the storm. Once things slowed a bit, we finned our ponchos and scurried across to Planet Hollywood. We were a big early for our ADR, but we were seated immediately. I wasn’t sure what to think since I had read some not so great reviews, but we had a great time! We loved all the sing alongs and watching movie clips. They even wished Sam a happy birthday and put a video of her on the big screen!

Sam was able to enjoy her giant shake, which was the main reason for coming here.

Bellies full, we had another few stops to make. First, to get Sam one of the giant candy apples. She mentioned wanting one in January, but we never got one. I didn’t realize how high on the list this was for her until we got home. This time, she got her wish! (On a side note, this would end up not being eaten until a couple days after we got home...it travelled and held up well!)

While we were on that mission, Jacob was biting the Star Wars store and decided he just HAD to build a light saber...

We also stopped at World of Disney and bought more stuff than we needed (as always) before heading back for a good nights rest!

jlag1006

Original Poster
Day 5
We were now at our last park day. We had planned to head to Hollywood Studios last to give us the best shot at a Slinky Dog FP and it worked!

We arrived shortly after opening and headed straight to TSL on a mission! We went straight to the aliens! We waited about 30 minutes and OMG it was miserable. I know many have said it but I just don’t understand why more thought wasn’t given to keeping people cool. I spent my wait dreaming of the mister fans from the Radiator Springs Racers queue at DL. I honestly think that would be one of the simplest things to do at WDW...just install more fans in the queues and have some with a gentle mist that could be turned on & off as needed.

Overall, we had fun. As others have mentioned there’s nothing crazy about it, but it’s a fun little ride.

After this, we headed to use our FP for Star Tours. I thought about giving this ride another try but in the end decided I didn’t want to risk getting as nauseous as I did the last time I rode, so I took the bypass route & sent the kids on.

We then saw that Olaf only had a 10 minute wait so we made the short walk to visit him. So much fun!

It was now time for our BatB FP. I really wanted to enjoy this, but in the end it was just too stinking hot!

Next, Sam made her first attempt to ride RnRC, but the single rider line was closed when she went over. So we went to see Lightening McQueen instead. It was great to be in the AC for a bit. I think J would have loved this show when he was younger but at 12 he thought it was pretty lame.

On the way out J & I went to visit some of McQueen’s friends while Sam checked on RnRC again. She quickly re-joined us with a report that single rider was open but likely longer than standby.

jlag1006

Original Poster
Day 5, cont.
Next we decided to head across the park for lunch, but we were a bit early. Sam saw a chipmunk meet, so we had to head over. While in line, we met a mom who makes her little girl amazing outfits to wear to Disney. This day, she was dressed like Flounder. She was SO adorable! Her mom does princesses but the girl requests a lot of unusual characters too. I wish I had a pic, but I thought that would be a little creepy 😂

We then visited the Muppets before heading to PizzaRizzo for lunch. Once again, everyone loved it. Sam is still talking about her meal there!

Next we headed back toward Toy Story Land where the wait for TSMM was at about 45 minutes, so we decided to hop in line. But first, Sam grabbed a yum yum cookie, another treat on her must have list. It was terrible. The outside was hard a a rock and the inside was only a little better. Somehow Sam finished it with just a couple bites eaten by J & I. From what I’ve seen recently, we weren’t the only ones with this experience.

Sam was very confident, but in the end I had the higher score. On the way out we had to stop for some pics

We were still a bit early for our SD FP, do we headed back to meet Edna Mode. This was fun, but not our favorite character meet ever. I liked the photos in the alley better, I think.

Finally, it was time for Slinky Dog! Not surprisingly we loved it! It was just not quite long enough!

jlag1006

Original Poster
Day 5, cont.
At this point we were approaching time for our dinner ADR. It wasn’t enough time to do much else, but a little early to check in. We ended up stopping for pics with Mickey & Minnie

We went to Mama Melrose for dinner and unfortunately were quite disappointed. Our sever made odd commentary throughout the meal and was over attentive at times and completely MIA at others. Our food was only ok.

After dinner, Sam decided to take another shot at RnRC. While she did,I waited while J took another trip on Star Tours. We just missed getting into the last Frozen sing along show. Unfortunately we didn’t have quite enough time for anything else before Fantasmic so we slowly made our way toward the theater and as we neared the end, we got a message that Sam was about to the end of the line. Though nervous waiting in line, she absolutely loved her ride!

We then headed into Fantasmic. This was J’s request and we did the dining package. Both kids loved it, but I honestly was just hot, tired and ready to go back. After the show, we headed out to the park to pack a bit and get ready for the trip home the next day.

jlag1006

Original Poster
Day 6....change of plans
Sorry this part will be text heavy. I was awakened much earlier than anticipated with Sam complaining of an upset stomach around 4 am. I tried to help and settle back to sleep, but within 10 minutes she went from upset stomach to very very sick. I was able to have maintenance come pick up her bedding from when she couldn’t quite get out of the top bunk in time.

I managed to get a little more sleep, but not much. By 8 am, I knew there was no way we could travel home even though we had a later flight. I called my dad to see if he might have enough DVC points to get us a room for the night if there was one available....there are & as we found out later we snapped up the last DVC room on property.

At the same time, I was researching flights for Saturday and was so relieved when I saw SW had one available for only about $75 more than I had paid originally. But when I called, I found out that I could not change my flight because Disney had already checked me in & processed my bags into their system. Once that happens, you have to go to the airport with photo ID in order to change it. Well I couldn’t really leave Sam alone for that long and the cost to get there and back wouldn’t have been cheap.

So I decided to check United where I found a nonstop flight for 12,500 miles plus $80. Sold! Do with new flights booked, I changed our Magical Express reservations and began to pack up. Unfortunately when I called the front desk, they told me they couldn’t allow me to check out late at all. They did offer to transfer me to SSR where I requested early check in. He told me he couldn’t guarantee anything but they had done studios that had been empty the night before so there was hope. I hurried to pack all our things & get out of the room by 11.

jlag1006

Original Poster
Day 6, cont. & Day 7
I got us a Lyft and we headed to SSR where we were able to get a room immediately (thank goodness!) I got Sam settled in to bed& sleeping, then J & I headed out for lunch. We came back and spent the day lounging & napping.

For dinner, Jacob & I ordered some room service pizza & salad. We headed to bed early to prepare for our travel day on Saturday.

When we woke up Sam was feeling better but still not very good. She didn’t eat breakfast, but would slowly start eating through the day. We made it home safely and we’re all very relieved to have made it. I’m pretty sure Sam got done food poisoning as neither J or I got sick (nothing more than the unsettled stomach that comes from being in the same room as someone who is sick). At this point, we think it was either the yum yum cookie or the pina colada she got later. Those were the only 2 things she had that we didn’t have except a taste.

I feel so bad for her having to deal with that but at least it wasn’t in the middle of the trip and we had a great time up until that happened!

Darstarr

In the Parks
No
Sam grabbed a yum yum cookie, another treat on her must have list. It was terrible. The outside was hard a a rock and the inside was only a little better.
At this point, we think it was either the yum yum cookie
The yum yum is EVIL!!!
I hope you shared your story with someone in food and beverage. To be honest, it was more likely the pina colada. My brother and his GF went to happy hour one night and both got pina coladas. After half a drink each they were in the restrooms vomiting profusely. Bad coconut is no joke I guess.
So sorry your trip ended on that note.

riverside

Premium Member
Glad you had a great trip. It looks like it was a lot of fun!! Sorry Sam got sick but nice to have an extra day in Disney!! Thanks for sharing!! :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom