Modifying for vegetarians?

Shouldigo12

OMG I have a story about that. I was at the F&WF a couple of years ago doing the Hibachi Experience. This is one of the best event that they have. It is limited to a total of 16 people and they only have the event a few times a year. They spend months on the menu, making this 5+ course event with authentic Japanese food and hospitality. It is not cheap(almost $200 now). Well a couple of years ago while we were in the waiting area for them to take us back, they came out to double check on people's special dietary needs. Which is really kind of a big PITA for them since it is a specific, cooked in front of you, special menu. But of course, they are more then happy to work around actual needs. Well this lady tells them that she can not have carbs. They go over the menu with her and she said that everything was fine then she orders a beer. I am sitting right next to her and say, "you know there are carbs in beer". She said, "oh, yeah, I know. I just thought they were going to give us a bunch of rice and wanted to save my carb consumption for beer". WHAT? I kind of lost it and told her how rude that was and that the special needs is for those who actually NEED to have the menu changed, not because you are counting your carbs. I normally do not say anything to people, but the audacity of this woman wanting them to change this special meal, just for her, and just to cut out a bit of rice is beyond anything my brain could handle that day.
Oh my gosh. That's awful. All of the people who would have killed to have a seat at that event, and she wants half of the menu changed so she can drink more beer. And if you thought they were just going to feed you rice, why pay $200!

AugieMorosco

Original Poster
Once it has left the kitchen and at the table with the customer, food laws do not allow us to "reuse" it. It has to be thrown away. We try very, very hard to not make those kind of mistakes. We are a small cafe and usually do not have many of these errors, but they do happen. I guess what I was getting at was, I thought that you are either a vegetarian/vegan or your are not. But it turns out that many are only partially vegetarian/vegan. They seem to pick and choose what day/meal they are going to be one. And it is usually those "fair weather" vegetarians that make the most noise about wanting vegetarian food, but then end up eating something with meat product in it.
I agree with the idea that the loudest, most obnoxious "vegetarians" are the ones who have a burger 3 times a week when they're just feeling it. I've met plenty. I try to be clear about my self imposed rules and reasoning so I hopefully never come off that way.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom