Moderate vs. Deluxe: Biggest differences

Sassagoula-Rvr

I love Port Orlean's French Quarter....if you're thinking Moderate it's the way to go.

Differences, mainly everyone has hit the nail on the head. But like I said, POFQ is the moderate that comes closest to "deluxe'ish" atmosphere, at least for me anyways.

Sassagoula-Rvr

FQ is a good choice. That is as good as it gets with buses. You are first on and first off. A boat ride to DTD.

You could also look at WL for a cheaper Deluxe, especially if you can score a discount. AKL is about the same cost as well, but I find it less attractive with the new DVC building.

This x10000000000, French Quarter is honestly the best bus service we have ever had on property.

Magical.Animal

2 things not totally clear after reading this all...

1. Are the beds and pillows better in a deluxe?
2. Is the toilet paper better?

Staying at akl for first time next week and usually bring my own TP and Pillow, but am wondering if I need to? I am used to the values and moderates.

PUSH

Staying at akl for first time next week and usually bring my own TP and Pillow, but am wondering if I need to? I am used to the values and moderates.

1. Can't answer, but I believe the beds are the same size.
2. If all deluxe resorts are the same as the Poly, the toilet paper is better.

Magical.Animal

1. Can't answer, but I believe the beds are the same size.
2. If all deluxe resorts are the same as the Poly, the toilet paper is better.

Thanks for answering! Have you tried the tp at the poly in a room or only a restaurant or lobby? I've found in the values and mods that the tp is better in the public spaces than it is in the rooms... Also, regarding beds, I guess I'm wondering if the actual quality/comfort level/plushness is better, versus the size :) I like a SUPER plush/comfy bed!

PUSH

Thanks for answering! Have you tried the tp at the poly in a room or only a restaurant or lobby? I've found in the values and mods that the tp is better in the public spaces than it is in the rooms... Also, regarding beds, I guess I'm wondering if the actual quality/comfort level/plushness is better, versus the size :) I like a SUPER plush/comfy bed!

I tried it in a public restroom, but the ones I used at POR/CBR all had "lesser" quality toilet paper than the kind at Poly. I just assumed it goes the same for rooms.

bethymouse

Once you go deluxe you will never go back.:eek: Wilderness Lodge is my favorite so far. The atmosphere, the boat ride to MK, and Whispering Canyon Cafe! Oh yes- and of course the lobby!:D
I do love the POLY. The grounds are gorgeous, 'Ohana is the best restaurant and so is Kona Cafe. The lobby is lovely, but the rooms really need a good refurb ( hopefully coming soon).;) The monorail access is the best!:D
My husband likes the larger rooms.:D Mostly Deluxes are a "convenience", especially the monorail resorts.;)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Once you go deluxe you will never go back.:eek: Wilderness Lodge is my favorite so far. The atmosphere, the boat ride to MK, and Whispering Canyon Cafe! Oh yes- and of course the lobby!:D
I do love the POLY. The grounds are gorgeous, 'Ohana is the best restaurant and so is Kona Cafe. The lobby is lovely, but the rooms really need a good refurb ( hopefully coming soon).;) The monorail access is the best!:D
My husband likes the larger rooms.:D Mostly Deluxes are a "convenience", especially the monorail resorts.;)

Poly refurb going on right now. Should be done by the fall;)

Tuvalu

Premium Member

1. YES the beds are more plush and comfortable. Even the new mattresses at FQ give my husband back pain, whereas he has never had any back problems with the mattresses in a Deluxe resort.
2. YES YES YES! I, too, bring my own TP when staying at a moderate but leave it home when staying Deluxe.

And you didn't ask, but the towels are thicker, bigger and far superior in a Deluxe.

Magical.Animal

1. YES the beds are more plush and comfortable. Even the new mattresses at FQ give my husband back pain, whereas he has never had any back problems with the mattresses in a Deluxe resort.
2. YES YES YES! I, too, bring my own TP when staying at a moderate but leave it home when staying Deluxe.

And you didn't ask, but the towels are thicker, bigger and far superior in a Deluxe.

Awesome! I'm glad to hear! The new beds at POFQ bother me too, so it's good to know I should have a nicer bed!

Ill probably still pack 1 roll of TP, just in case, but won't pack the 2 rolls I was planning to take :)

This is my first time going deluxe, but it won't be my last, since I joined DVC and AKV is t new home :)

HouCuseChickie

For us, it's been a matter of convenience. While I'd look into a mod if it wasn't in the budget, we like how close most of the deluxe resorts get you to the various parks. Last trip we stayed at YC and the convenience for Epcot and DHS was great. Previous trip we stayed at the Contemporary, and it's awesome being able to just get up and walk to MK. We also usually spend some break time back at the resort, so that helps justify the costs.

Edit...also saw all the Vegas posts. We've stayed in about 10 different hotels and I can't recall ever getting lost. My mom once said of me (as a teen) that I could never get lost in a mall...I think all of that worked well for me in the monster hotels in Vegas. Who knew it would be such good training. ;)

jkl2000

I've noticed the TP at Tusker House is different from the rest of WDW.

Ok, just kidding...

As far as POFQ vs POR, which is better with kids who are into pools?

PUSH

I've noticed the TP at Tusker's is different from the rest of WDW.

Ok, just kidding...

As far as POFQ vs POR, which is better with kids who are into pools?

Each offer nice pools, but I prefer the POFQ main pool better than POR's, and I'm a Riverside guy.

I like the smaller pools at POR, though.

Disneykidder

I really enjoy the moderates. They are a lot less crowded than the values! I like that they have their own buses and they are covered, too. The pools are great and have slides.

Deluxe resorts are also less crowded, have own buses, amazing pools with slides and are incredibly themed.They are also more $, too.

Others have posted most of what I wanted to say but hey, you're in Disney so...

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Slightly off topic, but if you look into it and shop around a little it may be possible to rent DVC points from an owner for around what you would pay for a moderate.

luv

Mods are motels, Deluxes are hotels.

In the hotel, you get room service, valet parking, bellmen, etc. The rooms are bigger, but not nearly as big as they'd be for the same amount of money spent elsewhere. Indoor bars, patios, balconies, slightly larger restrooms. Usually better gift shops and pools.

I haven't noticed the beds being extra nice anywhere except maybe the Dolphin. People say the TP is better in the Deluxes. I never compared. The TP in the Deluxes isn't anywhere near the stuff I use at home! (I do splurge on decent TP, though.)

The Deluxes are just nicer overall. Whether or not they're "worth" the extra money depends on how much money you have and how much you like the extra space and stuff.

minnielaw

This past October was our first Deluxe resort experience, at Boardwalk Villas, as we had previously stayed at PORS. The most glaring differences to me were as follows:
  • the interior hallways in the Deluxe vs. the exterior entrance at the Mod. I agree with @Master Yoda, I prefer the exterior entrance and the exterior theming is excellent at the Mods. The hallway at BWV's was LONG and dark and seemed to take forever to get to the room.
  • the lack of a food court at the Deluxe. We really missed the food court option for breakfast and snacking late at night. BW is probably the worst in terms of restaurants since there is NO restaurant actually in the resort. The Boardwalk Bakery (pre-renovation) was very crowded and had no seating...however, we usually ate on the little tables outside and this was very nice. We never used our resort mugs 'cause it was so darn inconvenient.
  • the distance to parking. If you drive to WDW or rent a car and don't use WDW transportation, the walk to the parking lot can be VERY LONG at a Deluxe.
  • LOCATION!! Most Deluxe resorts have excellent locations (Contemporary, Poly, GF, WL, YC, BC, BW) and are within walking distance of at least one park or on the monorail. The exception is AKL which is very much out of the way. The advantage of walking to BOTH Epcot and DHS was HUMONGOUS and far outweighed any of the above disadvantages of the Deluxe for us.
  • Toilet paper and pillows. We stayed 7 nights at BWV's and then moved to POFQ for one night...I could tell absolutely NO DIFFERENCE in the toilet paper or pillows. The toiletries were a little different, but I don't use them anyway.
I actually preferred the rooms, theming and convenient walk to the food court at POFQ over the BWV's, but the location and ability to walk to Epcot and DHS tipped the balance for the BWV's!
I don't think I would ever pay rack rate for a Deluxe hotel, or even a discount (unless it was huge) but I would rent DVC points again to stay Deluxe.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom