Moderate priced resort

cathyy

Original Poster
HI, I have been checking into hotels and at first we thought we might to the Value Resorts and I was thinking the movies one, but I read that you have to rent a refridge @ 10.00 a night. So I was thinking that maybe a moderate resort would be better. Any thoughts on this, we will have 2 kids with us (3 &5) and would rather do some breakfasts/snacks in the room rather than dine out all the time since the girls are kinda picky eaters.

figmentmom

I'm a big fan of Port Orleans Riverside, and I think you and the kids would love it. Port Orleans French quarter also is great for kids, with a terrific pool and slide. You can't go wrong with either!

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
I agree with Figmentmom. Either of those resorts are great. My family was always partial to Port Orleans Riverside. It has one of the largest playgrounds for kids on property. They also have a nice food court and a sit down restaurant. They have an arcade, bike and boat rentals and beautiful paths to walk on. The river flows down to Downtown Disney and you can take a boat there from the resort.

Many families love Riverside and come back to it every year.

Good Luck!

Pam

cathyy

Original Poster
oh, thanks for the quick responses!!

I'll check into that those places, oh and the fact that they have a play ground, boat rental etc is great!! :)

Is the only hotel on the monorail the Grand Floridian?

GenerationX

The monorail hotels are the Grand Floridian, Polynesian, and Contemporary. We've stayed at all but the Grand Floridian. The Polynesian has fantastic landscaping and a great pool. The Contemporary is probably the least expensive of the Deluxe hotels and is walking distance to the Magic Kingdom.

We've stayed at Port Orleans-Riverside twice, and it is well worth the money for the amenities. Highly recommended.

CAPTAIN HOOK

While POFQ and POR aren't on the monorail - you have an added bonus of boats trips to DownTown Disney. Much better than taking the bus !!

I've never stayed at a value resort but I have stayed at POR, POFQ and CB. My sister has stayed at the value resorts and said they are fine but if you are going to spend any time at the hotel and not just at the parks, which you probably will be with little ones, go for the moderate hotels. We stayed with our 2 and 4 year old at POR last year for the first time and we LOVED it. They had a great food court even though my son, the pickiest eater in the world, literally only ate macaroni and cheese the entire time we were in WDW, including for breakfast one day:rolleyes:. But they had a great variety for the rest of us, including a turkey dinner for $9.00. The kids loved the pool and we took advantage of the life jackets available. We also did the horse and carriage ride which the kids loved. We are going back to WDW this year and the only reason we aren't staying there is we thought we'd splurge on a deluxe hotel but otherwise we would be back at POR!!

The playground is great there as well for the kids to blow off some energy and we did do alot of breakfasts in the room. I sent a package to myself ahead of time with cereal, cereal bars, familiar snacks, etc and then bought milk when we got there and we were all set for breakfast and I packed some snacks in my backpack for the kids if they needed them during the day. Works out perfectly if you have the DDP, we never ended up buying extra and had a few snack credits left that we used up on "food suveniers" the last day and your picky eater is happy with familiar foods/ snacks.

cathyy

Original Poster
I've never stayed at a value resort but I have stayed at POR, POFQ and CB. My sister has stayed at the value resorts and said they are fine but if you are going to spend any time at the hotel and not just at the parks, which you probably will be with little ones, go for the moderate hotels. We stayed with our 2 and 4 year old at POR last year for the first time and we LOVED it. They had a great food court even though my son, the pickiest eater in the world, literally only ate macaroni and cheese the entire time we were in WDW, including for breakfast one day:rolleyes:. But they had a great variety for the rest of us, including a turkey dinner for $9.00. The kids loved the pool and we took advantage of the life jackets available. We also did the horse and carriage ride which the kids loved. We are going back to WDW this year and the only reason we aren't staying there is we thought we'd splurge on a deluxe hotel but otherwise we would be back at POR!!

The playground is great there as well for the kids to blow off some energy and we did do alot of breakfasts in the room. I sent a package to myself ahead of time with cereal, cereal bars, familiar snacks, etc and then bought milk when we got there and we were all set for breakfast and I packed some snacks in my backpack for the kids if they needed them during the day. Works out perfectly if you have the DDP, we never ended up buying extra and had a few snack credits left that we used up on "food suveniers" the last day and your picky eater is happy with familiar foods/ snacks.

My one of my daughters is really picky also, and would only ever eat French Fries if I would let her.

Thanks for all the advise, where could I find some other pictures of this resort?

BoomNLeon

Lots of pictures on various websites for both POFQ and POR. We have stayed at both and really like them. Different experiences at each resort have brought us back again. It is a nice escape from the parks.

We vote for both of them!

Jessie&Buzz

My one of my daughters is really picky also, and would only ever eat French Fries if I would let her.

Thanks for all the advise, where could I find some other pictures of this resort?

There are some on http://www.allearsnet.com/

We stayed at Port Orleans French Quarter and my kids loved it as did I. We've done the values before and I think the moderates are much better. Unless we do a family suite I don't think I'll be staying at a value again.

snowhyte

POFQ is a great resort with young kids. It is smaller than Riverside and that means less walking. It usually gets first bus pick up as well which is nice. There is no table service restaurant or quiet pools, but as it is part of POR you can go there very easily. The boat to DTD is great and even the bus ride is very short. We have stayed here twice and recommend it to anyone! Definitely worth the price difference between that and a value, IMO.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom