Moderate Hotel Choice for 2020 - 1st Timer Help

jpeden

In the Parks
No
I would say the moderates are the most overpriced category based on value for experience in WDW.

I always recommend animal kingdom lodge on the higher side or pop on the lower side.
Caribbean will be interesting to see play out after the work going on around it.

But in general - moderates don’t have amenity anywhere close to $275 a night USD.

Good luck with your search

If you’re paying $275/night for a moderate...you did something wrong. I think the most we’ve ever paid was around $189. We can normally get Pop (our preferred value) for anywhere from $99 to $129 with various discounts.

If you’re going moderate, I’d go Port Orleans FQ and split it with CBR to try out the Skyliner. Or, if you are willing to go value, I’d go Pop Century.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
If you’re paying $275/night for a moderate...you did something wrong. I think the most we’ve ever paid was around $189. We can normally get Pop (our preferred value) for anywhere from $99 to $129 with various discounts.

If you’re going moderate, I’d go Port Orleans FQ and split it with CBR to try out the Skyliner. Or, if you are willing to go value, I’d go Pop Century.

You can only really compare the rack rates...though of course I wouldn’t pay it (hence the cheap DVC 13 years ago)

But discounts vary..so that’s why you have to discuss academically.

You can get deluxe for $250 ish a night...tax included. From wholesalers on a rack of $350-$500 bucks

Is that a better deal than $189 at Caribbean or $129 at pop??

HEEEELLLLLL YES it is

Last edited:

jpeden

In the Parks
No
You can only really compare the rack rates...though of course I wouldn’t pay it (hence the cheap DVC 13 years ago)

But discounts vary..so that’s why you have to discuss academically.

You can get deluxe for $250 ish a night...tax included. From wholesalers on a rack of $350-$500 bucks

Is that a better deal than $189 at Caribbean or $129 at pop??

HEEEELLLLLL YES it is

Fair enough. But honestly for the way the wife and I tour parks and the amount of time we are in the room, Pop works. But don’t get me wrong, I’m looking forward to Wilderness Lodge in September which was $290 with tax per night with the deal we got, which yes I agree is a much better deal than $129 at pop or $189 at a moderate.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Fair enough. But honestly for the way the wife and I tour parks and the amount of time we are in the room, Pop works. But don’t get me wrong, I’m looking forward to Wilderness Lodge in September which was $290 with tax per night with the deal we got, which yes I agree is a much better deal than $129 at pop or $189 at a moderate.

No arguments...

My last two out of pockets were $242 with tax at wilderness and $265 ish for poly.

I’ll take that...but I can’t spend $200 for port or Caribbean...just couldn’t.

Pop is more than fine...AOA is a no go for pricing stupidity

duffduff11

We stayed at Riverside last year for two weeks (also on the free dining offer as we're from UK) and we fell in love with the resort! We had one of the 'Mansion' rooms that faced the river and it was simply stunning walking out of the room to the view of the river. And the boat is a lovely, relaxing way to travel to Disney Springs. If you do go I highly recommend taking some time out to just walk around the resort, it's beautiful! The food court had a great variety of dining options on offer too for use with the QS dining plan.

I've stayed at Caribbean Beach in the past also and in my opinion it's not a patch on Riverside! I understand it's recently been renovated, but I still prefer the peaceful, relaxing vibe you get from Riverside. But that's just my opinion :)

higgipoker

Sorry I didn't take the time to read all the responses (shame on me!) so apologies if I'm repeating stuff... but the past 2 summers we visited from Europe and stayed at exactly these 2 resorts :)

First, relax, you can't go wrong with either option, especially now that the refurbishments are finished at CBR (it was AWESOME, even during the renovations.)

Rooms etc
The rooms and amenities are of very similar standard at both locations. Ditto for the bus service to the parks which is absolutely fantastic on the whole. Only once or twice over a 2 week stay did we have uncomfortably long waits either to or from the resort.

Dining
It's difficult to compare the restaurants because CBR had the temporary buffet while we were there. Ironically, this was one of the highlights of our trip! We were a bit apprehensive because of the renovations, but the replacement buffet was absolutely fantastic. We ate there at every opportunity! I know this isn't relevant for you because the new restaurant is now open, but certainly big bonus points for CBR and how they run things.

In contrast, the Restaurant at Riverside was a big disappointment. We ate there the first night and never went back.

Extras
As I'm sure has been mentioned, the boat to Springs is a big attraction for Riverside. I had stayed at Old Key West a couple of years back and just loved having that boat to Springs, so it was a big factor in picking Riverside for 2017. I don't know, there's just something I love about having boat transport directly from your resort so it remains an attractive factor for me :)

However, CBR is soon to have the SkyLiner (sorry, I REFUSE to call them gondola's!) station which is going to be awesome too...

Location / Scenery / Theming
I thought (even with the renovations going on) CBR had the edge in terms of scenery and wow factor, you really feel like you are on vacation in the Caribbean, it's stunning. Riverside is themed wonderfully too, for what it is supposed to be, just not as impressive as CBR for me personally.

Conclusion
So overall, I think CBR just shades it if I were to recommend one over the other, but like I said, you wont be disappointed either way.

We're planning July 2020 (can't make it this summer unfortunately) and CBR is on the shortlist ;)

Cheers and good luck!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom