Moderate/Deluxe resorts

jennc2001

Are they really worth the upgrade?

We always stay at a Value resort when we visit WDW. We're not planning on staying at a Moderate or Deluxe resort anytime soon, but we just looked to see how much they were and it would be approximately $1000 more for us to stay there for a week. Is it really worth paying that much extra???

mickeysshoes

It all depends on how much time you will spend at the resort. Then to choose betweent a deluxe and Moderate you need to choose what you want out of that resort. Pools are different between the 2 and also the resturants. If your not spending any time at a resort then stick with the Values. We tend to take down time and like spending it the resorts

Upvote 0

jennc2001

Original Poster
That's a big reason that I can't see upgrading anytime soon....because as of now, the only time we really spend at the resort is to nap and shower and sleep for the night....and that's about it! But I really love some of the other resorts and would love to try them out sometime for sure! Maybe when the kids are in college! :lol:

Upvote 0

Sigmundooze

IMO Moderate Resorts are not worth it, granted the only one ive ever stayed at is Carribean Beach and I didnt like that one at all. Didnt seem like anything you couldnt get at a value. I think Pop Century is the best resort for the value ones. My brother loves Coronado so that one might be better than Carribean Beach.

Now as for the deluxe resorts...they are WAY better IMO. You cannot beat a monorail hotel for access to MK and the facilities are much nicer. The epcot resorts are also very nice especially if you have dinners at World Showcase frequently.

Upvote 0

mickeysshoes

That's a big reason that I can't see upgrading anytime soon....because as of now, the only time we really spend at the resort is to nap and shower and sleep for the night....and that's about it! But I really love some of the other resorts and would love to try them out sometime for sure! Maybe when the kids are in college! :lol:

If you kids a big swimers you might find that stepping up to a bigger pool with a slid would be a good move. Kids can play and you can relax in the hot tub!!! Just something to think about if you ever try something new. We really love the Wilderness Lodge and it and AKL are the cheaper of the deluxes.

Upvote 0

oommggitskait

Most people here will end up telling you it comes down to your budget and preferences. And that is pretty much the truth.

When I was booking our trip for August, the difference in price for 5 nights/6days at a value versus a moderate was something like $300 -$400 bucks? It really wasn't that much. I enjoy the extra space; nothing I hate more than a cramped hotel room with everyones stuff all over the place and nowhere to walk when I have to use the bathroom in the middle of the night. So we went for it and chose POFQ over POP.
I had REALLY wanted to upgrade us to a deluxe. Our touring style really doesn't leave us with much time at the hotel room, so it's not really about theming, or 'upscale' quality for us. For me, I'd want to stay at a delux for LOCATION. It just depends on your family/group. Unfortunately, to upgrade to a deluxe from a moderate, it was over $1,400 difference, which was something we just couldn't swing. So the moderate worked best for us.

Everyone here has good advice and insight into the "value" of each resort. But truthfully, it comes down to what you and your family need/want/can afford.

Upvote 0

Plutoguy

It truly depends on you and what you like. We have stayed at the value resorts, All Star Movies. We like it and totaly enjoyed the pool and game room. However after staying at a moderate resort which we do most of the time the Rooms are a tad smaller at the value resorts and we enjoy the more plush layed back theming of Dixie Landings/POR a whole lot more. We like to rent the boats and bikes and enjoy the cane pole fishing and main pool and enjoy the quiet pools at night. Now we also like staying at the corranado but you have to get rooms closer to the hotel lobby or it can be a bit of a walk for snacks a few games and a few drinks or to visit the gift shop. For us it makes a lot of sence, for others it may not. It really comes down to your budget and likes and if you and your family are on the go every minute of the day.

Upvote 0

lebeau

Yeah, every time we have gone the difference between the value and the moderate was around $300/week. As a result, we've never stayed at the Value. I don't think my claustrophobic wife could take it! I saw the inside of an All Star Room on my last trip and I just don't think that would fly. Not that POR was that much roomier, but even that was barely tolerable for her.

Upvote 0

CAPTAIN HOOK

Why do people choose to fly first class as opposed to economy ?

Why do people buy a car with all the refinements as opposed to the base model ?

Its all about you - your choice, your money. We've done Moderates, we've done Deluxe - we choose not to stay in Values. Simple as that.

Upvote 0

nicnic

Hi,

We have stayed at PoP and POFQ with my DD7. We always go for 2 weeks.

Both were fine, I prefer POFQ but PoP was just fine for what we needed, we usually do alot of outside activities, Sea World, Universl, buch Gardens and shopping so we do not usually spend alot of time in our room.

Our next trip however will hopefully be at the delux Beach Club.

We will have a new addition to the family and will just do the Disney parks and spend more of a relaxing time at the pool, this upgrade works out at about £1000, to me its worth it but DH is still not convinced!! He will come round!!:D

To me, being able to walk to our favourite park whatever time of day and have the flexabliity to leave baby with DH and I can take DD to Epcot/DHS and have more space in the room, (can't imagine squeezing a crib in a room at the PoP!) is very apealing to me, despite the cost.

Upvote 0

Hot4Hudgens

Honestly, unless you're spending 1/2 of your trip or more on hotel property? Not worth it. What good is paying an upwards of $300+ for a room when you're going to be out and about for the majority of your trip. Nicer? Prime locations? Absolutely. But personally, I'd be better off with a few hundred in my pocket as opposed to having a room with a park view, though if it's for a very special occasion then that's a different story.

Upvote 0

_Scar

Worth it.

Having never stayed in a moderate yet, I can only say that the deluxes are worth it.

But ya.... there should be time spent outside the parks to enjoy the deluxe resort for it to have bang for your buck.

Upvote 0

Epcot Dave

I stay at Riverside about once a year on average, for between 8-10 days on average per trip. Going with a Moderate allows me to stay at someplace nice, quiet, and close with all the amenities I desire for a price that I find doable.

For those that don't like the Carribean Beach because it is too big for them, try the Port Orleans resorts. Really, their proximity to MK, EPCOT, and Studios really can't be beat except by maybe Pop Century. On top of it, you get that cool boat ride to DTD.

My Wife did most of the resort types, including the All Stars, when she was younger and we wouldn't even think of putting the kids through that long ride to the All Stars after closing time at the MK (shudders). My hat's off to those who do, but I can't fathom doing it.

It all comes down to what you can afford and want for amenities/location. A monorail would be nice, but would cut our trip in half. I'd rather have the extra days.

-Dave

Upvote 0

Poofiesdream

We have stayed at Sports and Pop but our favorite in Port Orleans French Quarter. Well worth the extra money. Rooms are a nice size smaller resort so everything is near. Covered waiting areas for the bus. Food is great. Pool and slide is great too. Don't forget a hot tub. Boat to downtown Disney. Lots of shade trees around to keep you out of the hot sun. The rooms were just all redone and are very nice. Two queen beds and new carpet and everything! Just got back from Animal Kingdom Lodge Club Level and the price was not worth it had better food at POFQ. Animals were the only thing worth going there for, will not go back there.

Upvote 0

CamiLyn227

I've stayed at many of the different resorts in all 3 categories. I believe that you get what you pay for. And it just depends on what you can afford or wish to spend. When staying at a Value or Moderate we always go to the Deluxe resorts to look around, shop, and eat. So, you can still enjoy the restaurants and theming of them even if you are not staying there!

Upvote 0

HopLow

It all depends on how much time you will spend at the resort. Then to choose betweent a deluxe and Moderate you need to choose what you want out of that resort. Pools are different between the 2 and also the resturants. If your not spending any time at a resort then stick with the Values. We tend to take down time and like spending it the resorts

I agree. Besides the money difference, how much time you're planning on spending at the actual resort is the key. For example, I like to have down time in the middle of the day and I like to have restaurants close by, so (taking the money factor out of the equation) the deluxe resorts suit my vacation style better. I feel like a moderate is a compromise between having more space and food options than a value, while costing less than a deluxe.

If you're having trouble deciding, look at pictures of the resorts too. The ambiance of one might fit better than another. That helped me make a decision on my last trip.

Upvote 0

stratman50th

The difference is space and amenities, and to us it's worth the extra cost. We are no longer park commandos. We enjoy the rooms and the pools as well as the parks. We get park hopper passes and split the days, coming back to the rooms for some down time, or hang out at the pool till it's time for dinner, then close the park with the late EMH. The teenagers are semi-park commandos, but still like pool lounging.
The Polynesian is starting to show it's age, but it's still our favorite deluxe. The French Quarter is our favorite moderate. Last year we did the Poly, but we just wanted some more space so that the two 16 year olds had some room, not to mention more room for us so we're doing the one room suite at Old Key West. The alternative would be two connecting rooms at the French Quarter. Next year.

Upvote 0

allgar

We've stayed at all three. A little about "us" (my wife and I). We spend most of our time in the parks, we enjoy using the pools to cool down. We do not travel with children. We ALWAYS rent a car (no buses for me, so transportation is usually a non-issue - i say usually because sometimes I prefer not to drive home after a day in Epcot if you catch my meaning). We are double income no kids so budget is normally not a major concern.

What we've found:

Pros to Deluxe: It was nice to walk to Epcot and take a boat to HS.

Negatives: Same quality rooms as moderate, same quality of food service, pools are no wetter than anywhere else.

Moderate Pros: Theming is as nice as the Deluxe (in my opinion), love POR. Very nicely themed and enjoyable pools. Rooms are nice.

Moderate Cons: A bit pricey if all you're doing is hanging at the Parks.

Value Pros: You're on resort, so you get the benefits that come with it. The rooms are clean and reasonably priced.

Value Cons: Crowded, can be loud.

For us we are generally willing to spend the extra money for a moderate. We find a big difference in quality and theming between them and the values. The deluxe resorts just don't warrant the significant increase in cost. My opinion, if you can afford it, get to a Moderate resort for better theming, restaurants, pools and slightly larger rooms. Skip the deluxe unless you really put a lot of value on riding a monorail, boat or walking to a park over renting a car.

BTW - a weekly car rental is usually about $175/week for an economy car. Much less expensive than paying $1000+ for an upgrade to a Deluxe, and parking on resort and at parks is free with any hotel on resort.

Upvote 0

MaryJaneP

Bang for your buck is the key. If you aren't spending alot of time at the resort (sleeping, eating, shopping, relaxing), why spend more? In fact, except for sleeping, the other three activities are available to visitors.

My family has stayed at all three (value, moderate, and deluxe). Wow, the expense of deluxe! Park tickets cost the same regardless of where you sleep. Each family knows what expenses their budget can sustain.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom