Mobile Order expands to table service restaurants and more quick service locations

Jon81uk

But on an different note that if this were to expand to actual ordering in table service places (rather than the current take-out), it depends on the restaurant and what service I would usually expect.

At Cali Grill, Narocsees and similar I want a good waiter and a nice relationship with them.

At Sci-Fi dine in, it would feel sort of in-theme even to order and the food just arrive at the car.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
But on an different note that if this were to expand to actual ordering in table service places (rather than the current take-out), it depends on the restaurant and what service I would usually expect.

At Cali Grill, Narocsees and similar I want a good waiter and a nice relationship with them.

At Sci-Fi dine in, it would feel sort of in-theme even to order and the food just arrive at the car.
That’s a line I’d prefer not to cross...frankly.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes

Same. I want Beaches & Cream to go. I can eat my grilled cheese & tomato soup over at Hurricane Hanna's

Jon81uk

That’s a line I’d prefer not to cross...frankly.

I do think the tips issue makes it very different the way I look at it as a Brit and the way an American would.

But in the last few weeks I've had a couple of meals out over here and they are dealt with in various different ways depending on the level of service and prices usually given.

So at KFC I ordered on a touch screen and collected at the counter as normal. But I had the option of using their app instead of touchscreen now.
At Wagamama (casaual noodles and japanese food) the wait staff took the order as normal and brought the food but there was an option to scan a QR code and settle the bill without calling the server over. This sped up getting the bill and cut down contact risk slightly.
At Nandos (very casual grilled chicken) you normally order at the counter and get the food brought to the table, but due to covid they were asking people to order on their smartphone to minimise the need to get up. This worked well.
At a formal dining restaurant ($35 for steak) it was fully waited service as you would expect.

I would be quite happy for Disney to offer some of those options where appropriate. But places where it was order at the counter and food to the table (D-Lux burger) they have brought in mobile order already I think.

Some of the more casual places could offer the bill being settled on the web even if the whole service isn't, similar to how I got service at Wagamama above. That way the server doesn't need to come back with the card machine etc it speeds up paying the bill but the rest of the service is as normal.

Personally at buffets and similar fixed price places I would be happy to pay upfront on entry so I don't have to chase down the bill.

But in formal dining I want full waited service (generally where there are white table cloths!).

Lirael

You tip because the waiter provided you service by: getting your orders form your table, placing them with the kitchen, bringing them to your table when ready, getting more orders (like extra drinks, coffee etc), then bringing you the bill.

If the mobile order eliminates all of these as you now: order it yourself, grab the food yourself, pay by yourself, there is no service at your table and therefore no tip.

Unless this is a Frankenstein method, wherein you order by mobile but then are seated inside the restaurant and your waiter then brings you the order, I don't see reason for debate over tips.

Jon81uk

Unless this is a Frankenstein method, wherein you order by mobile but then are seated inside the restaurant and your waiter then brings you the order, I don't see reason for debate over tips.

Thats Be Our Guest lunch or D-Lux burger. Order at the counter or screen or app but someone brings the food to you. There is no expectation to tip as all the staff did was walk to the table.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I do think the tips issue makes it very different the way I look at it as a Brit and the way an American would.

But in the last few weeks I've had a couple of meals out over here and they are dealt with in various different ways depending on the level of service and prices usually given.

So at KFC I ordered on a touch screen and collected at the counter as normal. But I had the option of using their app instead of touchscreen now.
At Wagamama (casaual noodles and japanese food) the wait staff took the order as normal and brought the food but there was an option to scan a QR code and settle the bill without calling the server over. This sped up getting the bill and cut down contact risk slightly.
At Nandos (very casual grilled chicken) you normally order at the counter and get the food brought to the table, but due to covid they were asking people to order on their smartphone to minimise the need to get up. This worked well.
At a formal dining restaurant ($35 for steak) it was fully waited service as you would expect.

I would be quite happy for Disney to offer some of those options where appropriate. But places where it was order at the counter and food to the table (D-Lux burger) they have brought in mobile order already I think.

Some of the more casual places could offer the bill being settled on the web even if the whole service isn't, similar to how I got service at Wagamama above. That way the server doesn't need to come back with the card machine etc it speeds up paying the bill but the rest of the service is as normal.

Personally at buffets and similar fixed price places I would be happy to pay upfront on entry so I don't have to chase down the bill.

But in formal dining I want full waited service (generally where there are white table cloths!).
What I meant was considering the egregious pricing of table Service (for the value...dining plan)...id prefer that they not do the “server/no server” distinction. We’ll lose...as usual.

And here’s what’s happening stateside:

So now “everyone is hurting”...restaurants, store, waiters...that we are now kinda moving toward higher prices AND higher gratuities for everything.

Anyone that is under the impression that a table service that has a Q scan to order isn’t going to expect gratuities for minimal service...I hate to be the anchor on this one.

“Hi everyone...the menu is right there...what can I get you to drink?”
“Anyone need anything?”
“Thanks so much for coming”

I’ve seen it already in NON-tourist areas...and that’s a $180 bill and a $40.00 tip...whether you expect it or not.

I’m just saying...don’t be surprised. Remember that wdw doesn’t pay well and we heading down the dip on the economic rollercoaster. It is what it is.

Last edited:

Jon81uk

What I meant was considering the egregious pricing of table Service (for the value...dining plan)...id prefer that they not do the “server/no server” distinction. We’ll lose...as usual.

And here’s what’s happening stateside:

So now “everyone is hurting”...restaurants, store, waiters...that we are now kinda moving toward higher prices AND higher gratuities for everything.

Anyone that is under the impression that a table service that has a Q scan to order isn’t going to expect gratuities for minimal service...I hate to be the anchor in thus one.

“Hi everyone...the menu is right there...what can I get you to drink?”
“Anyone need anything?”
“Thanks so much for coming”

I’ve seen it already in NON-tourist areas...and that’s a $180 bill and a $40.00 tip...whether you expect it or not.

I’m just saying...don’t be surprised. Remember that wdw doesn’t pay well and we heading down the dip on the economic rollercoaster. It is what it is.

I think the wages of those in the hospitality sector are unfortunately a big issue in general. Even over here I expect most are on minimum wage so about $10-13 an hour (and in the UK very little tip on top of that, some customers gives 10-12% others, nothing).

I think Disney is probably paying well already, they are on something like $10+ an hour in untipped postions? But as you say Disney are charging a premium menu price too.

Over here it does feel like a lot of casual and fast food restaurants are trying to cut staff costs by using technology anyway.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think the wages of those in the hospitality sector are unfortunately a big issue in general. Even over here I expect most are on minimum wage so about $10-13 an hour (and in the UK very little tip on top of that, some customers gives 10-12% others, nothing).

I think Disney is probably paying well already, they are on something like $10+ an hour in untipped postions? But as you say Disney are charging a premium menu price too.

Over here it does feel like a lot of casual and fast food restaurants are trying to cut staff costs by using technology anyway.

Huh? Want to check the math on that.

No one in a “service economy” is well paid. Florida has leached off that for 60 years...

“Low taxes” In exchange for no pay.

The only people - management included - that make more lower end for their jobs are waiters and tipped positions that feed off the higher price/higher volume items in Orlando.

That’s what it is.

Jon81uk

Huh? Want to check the math on that.

No one in a “service economy” is well paid. Florida has leached off that for 60 years...

“Low taxes” In exchange for no pay.

The only people - management included - that make more lower end for their jobs are waiters and tipped positions that feed off the higher price/higher volume items in Orlando.

That’s what it is.

All report that Disneyworld is moving towards $15 an hour by next year.

Therefore as the legal minimum wage in Florida is $8.56 but Disney have agreed higher wages with their unions that is why I am under the impression most Cast are on over $10 an hour from reading articles such as those linked to above. It gives me the impression that Disney is paying better than the average employer.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom