Moana Mickey’s Arcade now closed at Disney's Polynesian Resort

JimboJones123

This loss is an overall win.

I spent one WDW vacation staying at the Embassy Suites and played NBA Jam every afternoon.

The next vacation, we we started staying at Disney resorts and I never visited an arcade there again. There is just far too much to do at Disney resorts to bother with video games.

The arcades cheapen the experience.

FerretAfros

The OP mentions that Captain Cook's will be closing for refurbishment soon. Perhaps they'll use this as a grab-and-go location, like what was done at All Star Sports during its recent food court renovation

sabbyxxo

Ok, I never understood the arcades. Growing up, all I wanted to do was spend time in Disney with my family, not in a dark, isolated room pressing buttons. I mean, if it's like pouring outside and you're waiting for a bus, it's different, but I think coming to Disney means (cheesy as it sounds) finding the magic by spending time laughing with family. Iphones too... I have learned to put mine away, only for photos, but it's kind of a relief to have an arcade closing. It's unnecessary, I believe. Add a spot where kids can do something active!

awilliams4

Ok, I never understood the arcades. Growing up, all I wanted to do was spend time in Disney with my family, not in a dark, isolated room pressing buttons. I mean, if it's like pouring outside and you're waiting for a bus, it's different, but I think coming to Disney means (cheesy as it sounds) finding the magic by spending time laughing with family. Iphones too... I have learned to put mine away, only for photos, but it's kind of a relief to have an arcade closing. It's unnecessary, I believe. Add a spot where kids can do something active!

Some of us DVC folk will vacation for 2, 3, 4 weeks at a clip. When you really vacation at Disney like that, the whole commando thing at the parks every day goes away real quick and you do all the other things there.

sabbyxxo

Some of us DVC folk will vacation for 2, 3, 4 weeks at a clip. When you really vacation at Disney like that, the whole commando thing at the parks every day goes away real quick and you do all the other things there.
Understood, I gotcha! I guess I was referring more to my experience which lasts a little over a week, but wow that's long!! Lucky

Kuzcotopia

That's what would want for the arcades. . . Something like an indoor play area for kids, themed to each resort.

There are downtime moments at resorts where the kids could find something interesting to do. That's what the arcades are meant to do.

Soarin' Over Pgh

When I booked last year I was given $20 worth of game play at the arcade and never ended up using it. Wasn't interested.

I don't see the appeal of arcades at a Disney resort, but that's just me.

If anything, I'm sorry to see another piece of the Polynesian being stripped away. Soon there won't be much left during this construction phase that'll last until this time next year. It's not a good year to be booked at the Poly!

sabbyxxo

That's what would want for the arcades. . . Something like an indoor play area for kids, themed to each resort.

There are downtime moments at resorts where the kids could find something interesting to do. That's what the arcades are meant to do.

Of course! I would love if they had windows at least so it's like light and airy, you know? More bright for the kids. <3

tikiman

How did kids survive on long vacation before the 80s?
I use to spend many weeks at a time in Hawaii as a kid and I can’t say I set foot inside an arcade, in fact I don’t even know if there was an arcade. I have never used the one at the Polynesian.
Now if we can just get everyone to put down their Ipads during every parade or fireworks show the world would be a better place. I get wanting to record the event but maybe we should sometimes just live in the moment and watch it through our eyes and not our electronic screens.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom