MNSSHP extremely over crowded

yedliW

How have the parties been this year? I have only seen that opening day in August was busy, but not as busy feeling as last year. Has that trend continued through the season?

We are going to be there mid October (12-19), and are looking to go, but not sure if we want to spend the money if it is going to be crazy busy.

Also, it will be 4 days while we are there (Mon, Tues, Thurs and Fri). Are any days of the week typically better than others?

Astrotrain

◝⊡_⊡◜
I went late August and crowds weren't bad, but I'm not sure if it gets worse in October as this was my first year going. Went on a Tuesday night. Max wait times for rides about 15 min (with the exception of mine train which was about an hour). Meet and greets had the longest lines, between 20-30 min and I'm sure some were longer.

I found a great place to sit for the parade about 30 minutes before it started in Liberty Square. It got really crowded with limited viewing room in that area quickly after I found a spot, so definitely scout for somewhere to sit early.

I think price increase on the party tickets may mess with attendance and make it a bit less crowded this year.

NickMaio

My wife just returned from a trip w/ her mother and they attended MNSSHP on a weekday (Tuesday). My wife and I have attended MNSSHP many times over the years and it has always been enjoyable with crowd levels and wait times for attractions that were very tolerable. This year....not so much. She said the crowd was absolutely insane. Way more crowded than any normal day they visited MK. Walking from Frontierland to Liberty Square, she said the crowd was so thick that people were taking a few steps at a time then coming to a complete stop and waiting for the crowd to move. She said it was claustrophobic and quite dangerous had their been a panic and the crowd tried to rush out.

The line for Haunted Mansion stretched all the way to Liberty Square Riverboat entrance. They returned a few times and the line had not gotten much shorter. Long waits for the M&G's and most attractions and 80+ minute waits for the mountains and Peter Pan throughout the night, with the exception of BTMRR which they were able to ride. They also rode Pirates and IASW and that was it. And please keep in mind we understand MNSSHP is not about walking onto attractions by any means. And my wife is far from a complainer, but she has attended the party enough over the years to know the difference when its more crowded than normal. She said crowd levels matched a busy day during Spring Break or a Holiday. She said it was the type of crowd where you get to MK and just decide to leave and come back later or another day.

They did get half decent spot in near Frontierland to see the parade but no headless horseman. They had fun with the candy stations and seeing some really nice costumes but aside from that she said it was miserable. The only thing I could guess is that they are over selling the event or selling way more tickets than normal on some nights. Has anybody else attended the party this year and noticed a difference compared to years past? Or did they just pick a bad night to go? My wife absolutely loves MNSSHP but she said after this experience, she may be done with it.
Wow that really is crummy. I wonder if WDW sold more tix to this event than usual?
We were there last week of Aug this year and it was quite slow with small wait times.

Disstevefan1

This year, Disney took a page from Universal's play book and now has a season pass to the party. This ticket allows you to attend EVERY Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party except for October 31. The cost of the pass is $299 plus tax for guests ages 10 and up, and $284 plus tax for guests ages 3-9.

Could this be that Disney projects that the crowds will be low? @Mainahman reports so far , Sept 8th the crowds are relatively low.

Side note: There are may fan sites and YouTubers and travel agents saying bookings to WDW are down.

Forget the Gloom and Doom reported about low attendance instead, TAKE ADVANTAGE OF IT! Go to WDW while the crowds are lower.

The low crowds wont last. Once Rise of the Resistance is open and the 50th celebration begins and EPCOT completes WDW will be more crowded than ever!!!

drizgirl

This year, Disney took a page from Universal's play book and now has a season pass to the party. This ticket allows you to attend EVERY Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party except for October 31. The cost of the pass is $299 plus tax for guests ages 10 and up, and $284 plus tax for guests ages 3-9.
Which means that now a sold out party can be more than sold out.

Disstevefan1

Which means that now a sold out party can be more than sold out.

I wondered this too. If Disney actually limits the number of tickets sold for each party, every season pass should be counted as attending every party and it should count against that number.

But probably not. That said, I think the number crunchers at WDW are are saying attendance will be lower and that is why this ticket was offered.

I (think) the reality will be lower crowds at the parties. That said “lower crowds” at WDW is still mobbed by any other standard. We will see what happens.

drizgirl

I wondered this too. If Disney actually limits the number of tickets sold for each party, every season pass should be counted as attending every party and it should count against that number.

But probably not. That said, I think the number crunchers at WDW are are saying attendance will be lower and that is why this ticket was offered.

I (think) the reality will be lower crowds at the parties. That said “lower crowds” at WDW is still mobbed by any other standard. We will see what happens.
The "sold out" number is arbitrary though. They don't release it and could just change it if they want.

And I'm not sure, do they mention "lower crowds" at all any more in promoting their parties?

macefamily

When my daughter worked at Disney in the CP, she said that Fridays always seemed to be the least crowds. I never would have thought that. I thought that would be the first day people arrive, or the last day of their vacation that they want to be in the parks.

YankeeMouse

My wife just returned from a trip w/ her mother and they attended MNSSHP on a weekday (Tuesday). My wife and I have attended MNSSHP many times over the years and it has always been enjoyable with crowd levels and wait times for attractions that were very tolerable. This year....not so much. She said the crowd was absolutely insane. Way more crowded than any normal day they visited MK. Walking from Frontierland to Liberty Square, she said the crowd was so thick that people were taking a few steps at a time then coming to a complete stop and waiting for the crowd to move. She said it was claustrophobic and quite dangerous had their been a panic and the crowd tried to rush out.

The line for Haunted Mansion stretched all the way to Liberty Square Riverboat entrance. They returned a few times and the line had not gotten much shorter. Long waits for the M&G's and most attractions and 80+ minute waits for the mountains and Peter Pan throughout the night, with the exception of BTMRR which they were able to ride. They also rode Pirates and IASW and that was it. And please keep in mind we understand MNSSHP is not about walking onto attractions by any means. And my wife is far from a complainer, but she has attended the party enough over the years to know the difference when its more crowded than normal. She said crowd levels matched a busy day during Spring Break or a Holiday. She said it was the type of crowd where you get to MK and just decide to leave and come back later or another day.

They did get half decent spot in near Frontierland to see the parade but no headless horseman. They had fun with the candy stations and seeing some really nice costumes but aside from that she said it was miserable. The only thing I could guess is that they are over selling the event or selling way more tickets than normal on some nights. Has anybody else attended the party this year and noticed a difference compared to years past? Or did they just pick a bad night to go? My wife absolutely loves MNSSHP but she said after this experience, she may be done with it.
Had it been raining? If the pavement is slick, Headless Horseman will not run.

YankeeMouse

Friday October 5th, got in at 3:45
group: my brother and me
-Space Mt (FP) 10 min wait
-Philharmagic 5 min wait
-Splash (FP) 5 min wait
-Country Bears walk in
-Peter Pan (FP) 10 min
-Columbia Harbor House dinner
-Little Mermaid walk on
-Dumbo 5 min
-Shopped at Pete’s silly sideshow
-Pooh Ride 5 min
-TTA walk on
-Pirates 15 min
-Hocus Pocus (40 ish minutes saving a spot on parade route)
-Boo To You Parade
-Hallowishes
-Splash 5 min
-BTMRR 10 min
-Haunted Mansion 5 min
-7DMT 30 min
-Midnight Hocus Pocus

This was simply a break from our Universal HHN trip and our only trip to MK this year so we skipped the meet and greets. I think I got my money’s worth, the place wasn’t too crowded.
Hocus Pocus less crowded at midnight?

Raineman

Kind of OT here, but I have to ask. We will be attending our first MVMCP in November. Historically, how have the Christmas party crowds been, relative to the Halloween party crowds? I am assuming that mid-November parties, only a week or two after they start, would be comparable to late August Halloween parties. The only other party I’ve been to was the MNSSHP on Halloween night, and the crowds were not as heavy as I thought they’d be.

Touchdown

Hocus Pocus less crowded at midnight?

It usually is, you can get a great spot near the castle relatively easily every year I’ve gone (haven’t gone this year yet)

Kind of OT here, but I have to ask. We will be attending our first MVMCP in November. Historically, how have the Christmas party crowds been, relative to the Halloween party crowds? I am assuming that mid-November parties, only a week or two after they start, would be comparable to late August Halloween parties. The only other party I’ve been to was the MNSSHP on Halloween night, and the crowds were not as heavy as I thought they’d be.

They are similar to the Halloween parties, some major differences I feel between the two is that for Christmas, is that I spend more time with the entertainment options. I want to catch the castle lighting show, and I absolutely need to be on Main Street for the parade (it snows the entire parade there.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom