MLB 2024 Discussion Thread (Current Champions: Texas Rangers)

MattC

Oh heavens no. What’s the next move to get consistent 12-15 run games, any type of off speed pitch banned? I mean if a batter is dead pull hitting that it’s so predictable, the defense should be able to react accordingly.
Baseball would not be the first sport to have some level of limits on player position.

I will enjoy the sport either way, but I think infielders should be infielders. And, if a guy is a dead pull hitter, don’t feed him that off speed right in his wheel house. Stay away.

At this point though I just want some baseball to watch/go to.

Timmay

I’m torn on the shift…on one hand, I hate computer nerds determining the game/making it boring…on the other hand, stopped rewarding roid heads who can’t really hit.
The shift has been around since the early 1940’s. Managers just tracked hitting with a pencil, so that part has been around for a while.

Your second spot is correct, especially with the amount of diluted quality pitching.

Scores and offense are currently sufficient. I mean they are already making the bases bigger. Baseball, I believe, is primarily a defensive sport. The defense posses the ball, there are 9 defenders vs 1 offensive player, etc. Watching teams trying to manufacture runs is exciting to me…not 9-8 slugfests.

Timmay

Baseball would not be the first sport to have some level of limits on player position.

I will enjoy the sport either way, but I think infielders should be infielders. And, if a guy is a dead pull hitter, don’t feed him that off speed right in his wheel house. Stay away.

At this point though I just want some baseball to watch/go to.
There is plenty of great baseball out there…it just isn’t always in MLB. Over the last few years I have found pure joy in minor league ball.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The shift has been around since the early 1940’s. Managers just tracked hitting with a pencil, so that part has been around for a while.

Your second spot is correct, especially with the amount of diluted quality pitching.

Scores and offense are currently sufficient. I mean they are already making the bases bigger. Baseball, I believe, is primarily a defensive sport. The defense posses the ball, there are 9 defenders vs 1 offensive player, etc. Watching teams trying to manufacture runs is exciting to me…not 9-8 slugfests.
It was invented - if legend is true - for perhaps the most accomplished American in history

MattC

I am with you there. HRs are fun and all. But, we need more guys who can put down a single, bunt, etc…
There is plenty of great baseball out there…it just isn’t always in MLB. Over the last few years I have found pure joy in minor league ball.
I am really looking forward to the minor league season getting going here. Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp make for a nice night out. $9 seats and reasonable hot dogs and drinks. Kinda what the big parks should be more like.

Timmay

I am with you there. HRs are fun and all. But, we need more guys who can put down a single, bunt, etc…

I am really looking forward to the minor league season getting going here. Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp make for a nice night out. $9 seats and reasonable hot dogs and drinks. Kinda what the big parks should be more like.
Funny you should mention the Shrimp. Got one of their shirts for Christmas.

Not only is minor league ball very entertaining and extremely affordable, but the names and mascots are the best. And I present to you the absolute best…

C4ED1344-2E44-41C7-8243-923340864348.jpeg

Lilofan

I’m torn on the shift…on one hand, I hate computer nerds determining the game/making it boring…on the other hand, stop rewarding roid heads who can’t really hit.
First time in 20 years, MLB is stopping testing players for roids due to sports drug agreement expire. Perhaps expect a number of MLB players looking bigger than the Incredible Hulk when games resume.

Dad 2 M & M

How does this hit ya?
Seems they had to….

The story is Freddie came to the Braves and made them aware he has a six year offer, not only more years but more $$$ per year than the Braves we’re offering (knowing the Braves couldn’t match, or come close enough).

Apparently he gave them enough time to make the trade BEFORE his deal was announced.

Class move as the Braves would have lost TONS of leverage (leverage being “Oakland we have a great 1b already” thus allowing the trade to be a little more attractive.

Freddie’s signing announcement should happen at any moment….

Dad 2 M & M

How does this hit ya?
To answer the question….

Olsen is great and maybe and upgrade. Freddie next year and 2023, maybe 2024? But after that, I’d have to pass. Too long of a contract for a player that if we’re taking emotion out of the equation is/was at BEST the 3rd best hitter in the line up and often had lingering issues late in season(s).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom