MLB 2024 Discussion Thread (Current Champions: Texas Rangers)

Tony Perkis

B5586611-4E0A-4BA1-914A-5D84EC3729E8.jpeg

Fun fact: I’m somewhere in this photo.

Tony Perkis

Does the stadium send you yourself as a keepsake after the game, or do they just recycle you to be used as another fan at a future game?
The cutouts are there for the duration of the season, and they send it to you afterward.

If a ball hits the cutout, they send you the ball.

Mac Tonight

Can we get our money back please? The man has basically been on the IL for 8 months.
Really really disappointed with Hamels and hope AA is smarter this off-season about over-paying for aging talent.

Would have rather had a year of King Felix, but of course, that was his choice. Still, a 3-peat on NL East Champs is a nice consolation prize!

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Original Poster
If the season ended today ...
The matchups: Here's what the first round of the expanded playoffs would look like, based on the standings after the most recent day's games.

Best-of-three series, higher seed is home team

AMERICAN LEAGUE
No. 1 Rays* vs. No. 8 Blue Jays*
No. 2 Twins* vs. No. 7 Indians*
No. 3 Athletics* vs. No. 6 Astros
No. 4 White Sox* vs. No. 5 Yankees*

NATIONAL LEAGUE
No. 1 Dodgers* vs. No. 8 Giants
No. 2 Braves* vs. No. 7 Reds
No. 3 Cubs* vs. No. 6 Marlins
No. 4 Padres* vs. No. 5 Cardinals

*Clinched playoff spot

Magic numbers to clinch playoff spot

NL: Marlins 2, Reds 3, Giants 4, Cardinals 4 (due to St. Louis having played fewer games).

AL: Astros 1

Dad 2 M & M

Can we get our money back please? The man has basically been on the IL for 8 months.

Hilarious as Liberty Media has the moniker of not spending money too! Can we blame them for being tight?

2019 (Last year's) attendance only rose 4%, and that was after the 2018 season where Braves won their 1st title in a few years. Do you remember the how bad attendance was down the stretch during the 2018 Pennant race? They were GIVING hurricane evacuees free tickets the weekend prior to the Braves clinching the division...because the Braves weren't close to capacity. .....DURING A PENNAT RACE!

In 2019, payroll increased from $74 million to $117 million....and attendance only grew 4%. Who's tighter? Liberty Media or Atlanta Fans?
Really really disappointed with Hamels and hope AA is smarter this off-season about over-paying for aging talent.

Would have rather had a year of King Felix, but of course, that was his choice. Still, a 3-peat on NL East Champs is a nice consolation prize!
And now we get Florida......

Florida:
1) Has NEVER won the NL
2) Has NEVER lost a playoff series .......
3) Have WON the World Series Twice

The Braves 14 Straight Division Title run for '91-'05 saw the Braves win 1 World Series. 4 Wild Card Teams won the World Series during that stretch - the Marlins won twice, Boston and each did the same.

There is always hope this year will be different........

Last edited:

MattC

Hilarious as Liberty Media has the moniker of not spending money too! Can we blame them for being tight?

2019 (Last year's) attendance only rose 4%, and that was after the 2018 season where Braves won their 1st title in a few years. Do you remember the how bad attendance was down the stretch during the 2018 Pennant race? They were GIVING hurricane evacuees free tickets the weekend prior to the Braves clinching the division...because the Braves weren't close to capacity. .....DURING A PENNAT RACE!

In 2019, payroll increased from $74 million to $117 million....and attendance only grew 4%. Who's tighter? Liberty Media or Atlanta Fans?

And now we get Florida......

Florida:
1) Has NEVER won the NL
2) Has NEVER lost a playoff series .......
3) Have WON the World Series Twice

The Braves 14 Straight Division Title run for '91-'05 saw the Braves win 1 World Series. 4 Wild Card Teams won the World Series during that stretch - the Marlins won twice, Boston and each did the same.

There is always hope this year will be different........
I hope this year is different. We shall see.

As far as money and fans going to games. That’s more complicated. Seats aren’t cheap, fans don’t want to go when decisions are made by ownership that fans don’t like, and I don’t think any of these guys are loosing money. But what do I know. This is the part of the game I don’t like and therefore don’t pay much attention to. We live in FL and go a couple of times a year. Love live baseball. #doingourpart

PS. I miss minor league ball so much. $9 seats, sausage dog, and beer. Is there a better weeknight or weekend night?

Last edited:

Dad 2 M & M

I hope this year is different. We shall see.

As far as money and fans going to games. That’s more complicated. Seats aren’t cheap, fans don’t want to go when decisions are made by ownership that fans don’t like, and I don’t think any of these guys are loosing money. But what do I know. This is the part of the game I don’t like and therefore don’t pay much attention to. We live in FL and go a couple of times a year. Love live baseball. #doingourpart

PS. I miss minor league ball so much. $9 seats, sausage dog, and beer. Is there a better weeknight or weekend night?
Ever taken in a Charleston River Dogs game? Unreal experience for sure....

Anywho...Braves have surpassed my expectations, but I do not settle for anything less than a championship>

NLCS features the West Coast version of the Braves vs the Real Braves.....

SteveBrickNJ

Dodgers vs Braves with no commercials. I tried Googling "no commercials" but my multiple word search phrasing attempts yielded nothing. Any story related to this pleasant development?

Last edited:

MattC

Looks like Duval will be out for rest of season unless his oblique injury is not as bad as it looked. I hate that. His post season was going slow, but I like his bat in the line up when it gets hot. I really like him in left field instead of Ozuna. Ozuna's bat is awesome, but his defense not so much.

See what Snitker decides, but I bet he is wanting to keep Ozuna in DH spot. Maybe get Ender on roster, but start Pache. I know he is young with no post season experience, but he can catch. And young guys will surprise you at the plate sometimes.

Basically, I'm saying that I would hate to be making this call. LOL

@Dad 2 M & M Never been to their games. Grew up going to Savannah Sand Gnat games and now here in Jacksonville, FL we go to Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp. You gotta love minor league team names!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom