MKTs 4/16/04 Trip Report - Autoshow in Motion @ Epcot... day 1

I just got back from a few hours at the auto show in motion... and what can I say.... IT ROCKED.

When you arrive... IT'S ALL FREE. FREE... Gratis... Complimentary.. $0.00. YOU PAY FOR NOTHING.

First thing when you enter, you are herded into a line while waiting for a quick safety briefing. After that, you sign the mandatory liability waiver paperwork and show your license... and BAM... you're off.

From there, you decide what vehicles you want to test. The corvette, SS/R, and H2 are the more advanced ones that require you to progress to them.

The first car that Nick and I went to was the new Pontiac GTO... and I was extremely impressed with its handling and power. About the only things I wasn't happy about was how quickly it went by, and where they placed the e-brake.

From there, it was off to a basic SUV to progress to the H2. We tested the Yukon, which had no line. For a big tank of an SUV, it handles rather well (thanks to the quadrasteer :) ). Then.. to the H2.

GM set up a proper off road course, with blocks of dirt to simulate uneven terrain, a side hill to show its stability, and a 15 foot hill climb...

this was awesome, I'd post more but I'm on my way out to work now. I plan on returning tomorrow to this.

Expect pics and more details tonight...

oh yeah, here's the list of Vehicles they had:

Chevy Aveo
Chevy Malibu
Chevy Malibu Maxx
Chevy Monte Carlo
Pontiac GTO
Pointiac Grand Prix
Pontiac Vibe
Saturn ION
Honda Accord
Toyota Camry
Toyota Corolla
Toyota Evho
Volkswagen Jetta

Chevy Corvette
Chevy SSR

Hummer H2

Buick Rainier
Buick Rendezvous
Cadillac SRX
Chevy Trailblazer
GMC Envoy
GMC Envoy XUV
Saturn VUE
BMW X5
Ford Explorer
Honda Pilot
Infiniti FX35
Infiniti FX45
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Lexus RX330
Mercedes ML350
Nissan Murano
Toyota Sequoia
Volvo XC90

Cadillac Escalade
Cadillac Escalade ESV
Chevy Suburban
Chevy Tahoe
GMC Yukon
Ford Expedition
Lexus LX470
Lincoln Navigator

Cadillac CTS
Cadillac DeVille
Saab 9-3
Saab 9-5
BMW 325ia
BMW 530ia
Ford Crown Victoria
Mercury Grand Marquis
Lexus ES330
Mercedes C320

Cadillac Escalade EXT
Chevy Avalanche
Chevy Colorado
Chevy Silverado
GMC Canyon
GMC Sierra
Dodge Dakota
Dodge Ram
Ford F-150
Ford Ranger
Nissan Titan
Toyota Tacoma
Toyota Tundra...

that's it for now, more to come

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Original Poster
well... i'm heading out in a few minutes to go back

mickhyperion

Sounds cool. I've read the link. Thanks.

But where in Epcot? In Test Track? In the parking lot? Around the fountain? Around World Showcase?

Enquiring minds want to know! :)

mkt

Premium Member
Original Poster
it's in the parking lot.. everything is free... EVERYTHING. Even lunch is free...

I may go back tomorrow... and now, for todays trip report

mkt

Premium Member
Original Poster
yesterday wasn't too bad... today was packed. Tomorrow, I plan on going early so I can finish up the cars I want to test (X5, Corvette, FX35, and another run in the GTO and H2)....

and then off to work.

cloudboy

How did the CTS compare with the 9-5? The trick to the 9-5 is that little s button on the shift lever...

And where is your trip report?

mkt

Premium Member
Original Poster
it's coming! it's coming... I got a last minute assignment from a client (literally... as I was resizing my photos from today, he called)... so I'm a bit swamped

mkt

Premium Member
Original Poster
ok, and now I'm back.. yay!!

The day started off with a bang.... I woke up early, and Kelly, Dave, and I were off to Epcot to go to the Autoshow in Motion. Poor Kelly's knees are injured, so she wasn't able to walk much today.

Once we arrived at the Autoshow, we met up with DonickCo (Nick). We quickly did our liability releases and off we were to drive drive drive (well... Dave and I were! lol). While there, we ran into Bamboo7 (Dan) and he joined in on our fun.

The drives for today weren't that exciting... Chevy Trailblazer, Chevy Suburban, and Buick Century were all ridden strictly as tools to advance to the H2 and Corvette/SSR. While driving the SUV's, we decided to see what they were capable of... needless to say, I can not be accused of babying the vehicles (even though some members of the party seem to think I babied the GTO yesterday). From there, we were off to the SSR/Corvette line. The shortest line was for the Chevy SSR, so we all agreed to drive it.

20 minutes later, I was behind the wheel of a red chevy SSR with only 55 miles on the odometer. I decided to see what I could do with it, and for being on a truck frame, and having an automatic transmission, it wasn't disappointing. Tossing caution to the wind (and the fact, that I was in a controlled environment), I started to powerslide in the SSR and taking turns at higher speeds. Needless to say my instructor was less than happy... a quick apology mended this.. whew.

From there, off to freebie lunch (today's special... Turkey, Ham, and Salami with Cheese on white... and about 20 cokes) and off to the parks!!! yay

From there, Dan went home (spoilsport... whats with these "chores" and "shopping") and Nick, Kelly, and Myself went to MK. We met up with Angelique there. First stop... Dole Whips... it was effing hot, so I had a Pineapple Float... and it worked wonders.

Then to Jungle Cruise, where I got tons of pics (shame none were good.. lol), and to small world to wish it goodbye before it goes away for rehab.

After just a few hours there (less than 2) we were off to Epcot, to go check out Flower and Garden. Nick and Angelique went off to go see Davy Jones :hurl: (it's not my bag baby), and Kelly, Dave and I went to wander around. We got a wheelchair for Kelly, since walking wasn't going to happen, and we somehow ended up near test track, where I ran into MicBat (Jonnie) We then went to Imagination... and then to world showcase. Construction of Soarin' is getting up there.... all I can say is WOW. You can clearly see the building from the ground level of the Canada pavilion.

From there, we walked ALL around world showcase, stopping in France for Cokes and Baguettes.

And then... HOME. :(

for AutoShow pics, click here

for the rest of the pics, click here

there's also a few videos we took while in the cars, and those are being uploaded as I type this.. I'll post links once I'm done

**edit** videos are too big... i'm gonna hold off on them

cherrynegra

Thanks for the update mkt. Nothing like spending the day drive testing cars. Especially without people running up to you asking if you're looking to buy. Pics were very nice. The pic of the Ford Exploder with the ad for "Passion" was....um.....interesting.

cherrynegra

Very nice. And that engine.........sweet. So how much was it? And tell me agian, in case I missed it the first go around, is this something they do every year?

mkt

Premium Member
Original Poster
that's an LS1 Gen III 5.7L V8.. the car costs in the low 30's. The event is in its second year, and I have a feeling it will return. It's not just a Disney event.. next month it'll be in NC and DC

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom