MK to DTD after Wishes?

M. Racer

I know this may be tough to answer, but here's our dilemma. My wife and I will be at MK on a Thursday in January. We haven't seen Wishes yet(gasp!). According to the calendar, Wishes is at 8pm. We also want to eat at Portabella Yacht Club that night. With everyone bailing from the MK at once, can we realistically make it to DTD in time for a 10pm dinner reservation? We'll be riding a Disney bus. Your opinions are most appreciated!

Tim G

I know this may be tough to answer, but here's our dilemma. My wife and I will be at MK on a Thursday in January. We haven't seen Wishes yet(gasp!). According to the calendar, Wishes is at 8pm. We also want to eat at Portabella Yacht Club that night. With everyone bailing from the MK at once, can we realistically make it to DTD in time for a 10pm dinner reservation? We'll be riding a Disney bus. Your opinions are most appreciated!
If you lucky... YES...
But personally I think you won't make it...

Upvote 0

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member

Walk to the Contemporary from the MK bus stop and then catch a bus to DTD from the Contemporary.

Upvote 0

CoffeeJedi

On "Inside the Magic" the other week, they said that there's a little-known observation deck near the California Grill at the Contemporary, that has the music piped in, just like the restaurant. You could watch Wishes from there, then take a bus to DTD.

Upvote 0

Justa' BigKid

Walk to the Contemporary from the MK bus stop and then catch a bus to DTD from the Contemporary.

Maybe it was just our bad luck, but we have found that the service from the Contemporary is EXTREMELY SLOWWWW!!!!! I would try some other option. Perhaps bus to POFQ and then the boat to DTD. Keep in mind that I am suggesting this without ever trying it. Good Luck.

Upvote 0

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Maybe it was just our bad luck, but we have found that the service from the Contemporary is EXTREMELY SLOWWWW!!!!! I would try some other option. Perhaps bus to POFQ and then the boat to DTD. Keep in mind that I am suggesting this without ever trying it. Good Luck.

You will find that getting to DTD after any park closing is not a speedy thing. You are going to wait in line at some point in time. The Contemporary bus takes a while because I believe it stops at GF and Poly. The only reason I suggest the Contemporary is because you then only have to catch one bus instead of two.

Upvote 0

Justa' BigKid

I agree with you that the trip on one bus would be better, but the last time we went Contemporary to DTD it took over an hour for the bus to even show up for the long bus ride over. I know that is a rare situation but it could happen again. It's just a roll of the dice.

Upvote 0

DiPSU224

I've done it a few times before and we've made it to DTD after Wishes around the 10 pm mark. Catching the bus at the Contemporary like others have said is your best bet.

Upvote 0

M. Racer

Original Poster
On "Inside the Magic" the other week, they said that there's a little-known observation deck near the California Grill at the Contemporary, that has the music piped in, just like the restaurant. You could watch Wishes from there, then take a bus to DTD.

Has anyone ever been to this observation deck? If so, can you tell us exactly where it is? We would be interested in hearing wishes as well as seeing it, so this sounds like a good idea. I suppose we could eat an earlier dinner elsewhere, but we're not crazy about MK's dining options.:hurl:

Upvote 0

M. Racer

Original Poster
About how long of a walk/jog is it, and which way do you go from the bus stop?
My recollection is that you can see it, but just in case I'm wrong, your help is most appreciated.:kiss:

Upvote 0

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
About how long of a walk/jog is it, and which way do you go from the bus stop?
My recollection is that you can see it, but just in case I'm wrong, your help is most appreciated.:kiss:

I am gussing about a ten minute brisk walk. If you can get out of the fireworks early, you might want to consider grabbing the resort monorail at the MK. The contemporary is the first stop.

Upvote 0

DiPSU224

Has anyone ever been to this observation deck? If so, can you tell us exactly where it is? We would be interested in hearing wishes as well as seeing it, so this sounds like a good idea. I suppose we could eat an earlier dinner elsewhere, but we're not crazy about MK's dining options.:hurl:

I think they may be refering to the observation deck at the California Grill. I've seen it up there before while dining and I wouldn't suggest viewing it from there for your first time seeing Wishes. I can't even remember if they do pipe in the music on the deck but they do in the restaurant.
I don't even think you can go up there unless you are having drinks in the lounge or have reservations for dinner. You have to check in at the lobby of the California Grill before you can take the elevator up to the restaurant.

Upvote 0
You may look into bussing to Saratogo Springs, then bussing to Downtown Disney. I've heard there is no bus directly from the Contemporary to DD.

Take the bus to SS, then you can walk to DTD...it is about a 5-10 min walk, and you end up at DTD (by Rainforest Cafe)...then you just walk to the other end of the Marketplace, and there you are at Portobello's!! Make sure you wait to get off the bus at the Congress Park stop in SS...that will give you the shortest walk around the water to the Marketplace...

Upvote 0

Epcot82Guy

Take the bus to SS, then you can walk to DTD...it is about a 5-10 min walk, and you end up at DTD (by Rainforest Cafe)...then you just walk to the other end of the Marketplace, and there you are at Portobello's!! Make sure you wait to get off the bus at the Congress Park stop in SS...that will give you the shortest walk around the water to the Marketplace...

I agree. Stake out a spot right at the end of Main St., duck out immediately as the show ends, and hop on the SSR bus. It is a very pretty walk or boat ride to DTD from there. takes about 10-15 total from drop of to arrival at DTD.

My other suggestion would be California Grill or along Narcoossee's deck to watch and then hop the DTD bus.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom