MK Rides for a 4-Year-Old

Disney Dining Dad

Original Poster
We are planning to spend our first two days at Magic Kingdom when we go to Disney World next month, and I have used Fast Passes (in this order) on Jungle Cruise, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Tomorrowland Speedway, Peter Pan's Flight, Enchanted Tales with Belle and Seven Dwarves Mine Train.

I know that all children are different, but I was wondering if anyone thinks that either of the two roller coasters may be a bit intense for my four-year-old daughter (she does meet the height requirements). I haven't been to WDW in about 20 years so I don't really remember intensities, but I thought it would be better to have FPs for the coasters and risk not using them than waste them on rides such as The Magic Carpets of Aladdin and Dumbo, which were the alternative options that I've been told you really don't even need a FP for.

I've been thinking about swapping out Jungle Cruise for Splash Mountain, though my wife worries about scaring my daughter on the first ride on the morning that we arrive. Just based on the videos I've watched though, Splash Mountain seems tame compared to the coasters.

Any thoughts on Jungle Cruise? I've heard that it can be a little lame if you don't have a good "captain" providing the narration on your boat, but my daughter may enjoy it regardless of what's being said.

Any feedback that anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Keep jungle cruise for the 4 year old as the drop on splash is pretty intense. Big thunder may be too intense or she may love it. We were there in September and my daughter and neice were both four at the time. My neice loves big thunder but my daughter got a bit scared on mine train. It’s just gonna depend.

PeakSeason

OP- as you acknowledge, all children are different, so I can only base my reply off of the children in my own family. At four years old, Big Thunder is a Big NO. Seven Dwarfs is a yes for all but the most timid. Splash Mountain works for the bolder preschoolers, but only if they don't have issues with being splashed. Some kids like to get wet, some are going to freak and insist on fresh clothes.
As for Jungle Cruise, it's a pleasant boat ride but I find that kind of narration awkward. I feel embarrassed for the Skipper if the jokes fall flat or if the passengers aren't paying attention. The kids probably won't notice that though and will just enjoy the boat ride.

RememberWhen

My 4 year old loved all the coasters he could go on. His favorite ride of the trip was tower of terror. But your 4 year old may not. I’d recommend trying out some mild coasters at a fair or local park if you can. And I might try Barnstormer as an ease-in ride before trying big thunder. It would be a bummer to scare her on big thunder so she won’t want to do the other “big” rides. Otherwise I think it’s a good list. The kids never really get the jokes on Jungle Cruise anyway, but they usually enjoy the adults laughing. You could try to swap that FP for Barnstormer.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Anecdotally....

We took my son for his third birthday April 2017. He rode BarnStormer approx 120938409238x. It's a perfect kids coaster. Start there. We also did 7 Dwarves a couple times, he enjoyed the rollercoaster part, but got scared of the witch at the end. Go figure.

We also go to Hershey Park every year, he rides everything he's tall enough to ride there as well. Loves their log flume. Loves their mine train ride.

All kids are different. Start slow and build your way up. My advice. Go directly to Barnstormer first thing. No one else does that, and you can get a couple rides in with no wait to build the little one's courage up for the bigger coasters. My son still talks about BarnStormer, all the time. It's the highlight of his life so far lol.

Good luck, have fun.

Nemo14

As has been said, all kids are different. I've always been a firm believer in not forcing a child to ride anything, and it worked fine for my own kids. DD was more of a daredevil, but DS was not. Both really enjoyed themselves at WDW as kids, just in their own way, not necessarily the way others would choose. You know your child better than any strangers on the internet do, so plan accordingly and have a wonderful trip.

JohnyKaz2078

Try the Barnstormer when you arrive if you have secured fastpass for the popular attractions. It's the perfect kid's coaster and pretty much nobody is going to be in Storybook Circus early in the morning. If she likes it take her to the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train (I would recommend using FP for that). Most children love it but some get scared by the witch in the end.

Big Thunder Mountain is a big NO. It's very rough and even adults are hesitant to ride it. I would personally recommend that you swap the Jungle Cruise for Splash Mountain. The Jungle Cruise is OK and most kids spend their time looking at the animals but some get bored and the skipper's jokes don't help a lot. Splash on the other hand is much more exciting but also has a history of TERRIFYING small children with the drop in the end. Ask her if she's willing to take her chances.

You know your child best so try and plan according to her interests. Also be sure to watch some on-ride videos. And don't forget. Have fun!

correcaminos

My son at 3 rode all he could get on being over 40 inches. Not too intense for him, but every child is different. 7DMT in particular is quite tame. BTM is really just a kiddie coaster in intensity. Splash is probably more intense with the drop and with the story it dies get a little creepy feeling for young ones. All said and done, look at all the responses here. You are going to get so many different ideas on what is too intense with little ones and what is not.

KrzyKtty

Depends on the 4 year old. Both of my kids LOVED all of those rides when they were 4. They rode on everything their height could allow them, even Tower of Terror. Some of my daughter's favorite rides were BTMRR and TOT. The only reason she didn't love Splash Mountain so much is because she hates being wet.

JohnD

We are planning to spend our first two days at Magic Kingdom when we go to Disney World next month, and I have used Fast Passes (in this order) on Jungle Cruise, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Tomorrowland Speedway, Peter Pan's Flight, Enchanted Tales with Belle and Seven Dwarves Mine Train.

I know that all children are different, but I was wondering if anyone thinks that either of the two roller coasters may be a bit intense for my four-year-old daughter (she does meet the height requirements). I haven't been to WDW in about 20 years so I don't really remember intensities, but I thought it would be better to have FPs for the coasters and risk not using them than waste them on rides such as The Magic Carpets of Aladdin and Dumbo, which were the alternative options that I've been told you really don't even need a FP for.

I've been thinking about swapping out Jungle Cruise for Splash Mountain, though my wife worries about scaring my daughter on the first ride on the morning that we arrive. Just based on the videos I've watched though, Splash Mountain seems tame compared to the coasters.

Any thoughts on Jungle Cruise? I've heard that it can be a little lame if you don't have a good "captain" providing the narration on your boat, but my daughter may enjoy it regardless of what's being said.

Any feedback that anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much.

Most of the skipper jokes are puns. Not sure your daughter would get the jokes. It's definitely not scary, though. I'd definitely opt for 7DMT over BTMR. If you're not sure about 7DMT, take her on Barnstormer first. It's basically a kiddiecoaster. If she can handle that then she can also handle pretty much all of Splash Mountain which does have a few quick up and down moves. The hurdle for that, obviously, is the final drop. That's definitely your call.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom