MK Hurricane Day Trip Report

My daughter and I decided to run in to the Magic Kingdom this morning before Hurricane Charley made his appearance. Here are the things that caught my eye:

Crowds, obviously, were light. The parking area had very few cars, and by far the large majority appeared to be resort guests. Cast members were stressing the fact that the park was scheduled to close at 1pm, but that the time could change (either earlier or later) depending on the weather.

The hanging flower baskets along Main Street had been removed and throughout the park all signage had been tied down. I only saw one vending cart open. Most of the others were strapped down and bolted to the ground. Tables and chairs were still out, but the umbrellas were closed and tied.

Wait times were short for the most part, with a couple of exceptions. We walked on to Spash Mountain, but the wait for Big Thunder was a 75 minutes (and this was at 9am). On POC we not only walked on, but had a boat to ourselves. Other attractions, such a the Haunted Mansion and Peter Pan's Flight showed short wait times, but the line waiting seemed to be much longer than what was indicated. The only other thing we took a look at was Space Mountain. The sign outside showed 25 minutes, but we were on it in 10.

We left at about 11:30 and there seemed to still be quite a few people arriving. So there you have it -- Hurricane Day at the Magic Kingdom. I think I'm going to go start a pot of chili now and prepare to ride out the storm.

Journey

Bonnie is...Gone!
Its quite breeze and damp here.. very damp in fact, the ground was still soggy from rains last week, and now I have 3 inches in my street and around my home.
Pumping out the water now from inside!

At least it has stopped raining for a little while, but I am afraid that eastern NC is in for a lot of flash floods and flooding in general.

I just pray that Charlie is easy on us all and winds down quick once it hits land! Being from the hurricaine magnet area, I feel for all ya''ll down in Fla.
Take care all!

NemoRocks78

Seized
disneymoc said:
Charlie is already in Virginia? WOW!!!
Charley is just coming into Florida now......

Thanks for the trip report! Man, I would've loved to be there today. Thanks to school, that couldn't happen. :mad:

quadman

My family and I were there until 1:00 on the day of the Hurricane.... and we too were amazed at the 75 minutes wait on BTMRR so we asked a cast member who was waiting at the entrance (since the Fast Pass system was down) and she told us that the 75 minutes was due to only one train on the tracks today because of mechanical problems unrelated to the storm. The line itself was very short.... All the way up into the train house itself.

CiNdErELLiE930

I went to MGM the morning of the Hurricane and it too was not very crowded. We waited 15 minutes for Rockin roller coaster. We rode tower of terror 3 times. They also gave us a free day on our pass for that. It was the first hurricane I have ever been in and it was very scary!!

drp4video

This is CInderellie930's mom. It was very scary. We stayed at POP Century and they closed the food court (understandable), and handed out free chips. Dinner was cheetos and snickers.

Pop kept us very informed of the storm and what to do. There were phone messages from the desk updating us on the parks openings and closings. They handed out flyers to each room about 3 hours before it passed over us. Damage at Disney was mimimal, with trees uprooted and blown down signs. We never lost power, but what a scary time.

We were there for 10 days (our 5th trip in AUgust), and it was hot and rainy, but we had a great time. The last night we went back to MK to ride a few rides and see Wishes. It was a wonderful ending to an exciting and wonderful trip.

aim

I too was at MK the day the hurricane rolled through. I took some pictures of them getting ready for it. As soon as I find the pictures I will upload them for you guys to see. We got there pretty early and stayed until they closed at 1pm. I also took pictures of the crowds leaving. It was something pretty neat to see! We stayed at the AK Lodge during the hurricane. Everything was sand bagged and they closed the lobby off. Around 8pm we had to stay in our rooms until further notice. Which I'm not sure when that came. Because by 11:00 or something, it was still closed off. We didn't really go on many rides. We were pretty much there to see what they were doing to set up for the hurricane. Like I said, as soon as I get the pictures uploaded, I will share them with you guys :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom