MK - Do You Control FP? Or Does FP Control You?

Who's in Charge?

• FP Serves Me

Votes: 26 63.4%
  • I Serve FP

Votes: 15 36.6%

• Total voters

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Original Poster
When visiting the MK:

Do you plan your visit and get FP according to that plan?

OR

Do your FP selections govern your schedule/visit?

JIMINYCR

I've always been a heavy planner anyway but since the crowds have risen dramatically and the FP+ has become a neccessity, I've had to really think more about incorporating it into the plan. Timing and selection has become more critical. Especially when the FP+ choices and time slots have gotten less available. I do miss the older system which IMHO did not cause as much guest stress and panic.

rljackson

I much preferred the older system. I loved planning my day and using the Unofficial Guide plans was always able to get onto every attraction we wanted to see, even during Spring Break when we always went. With the new system, even staying at Shades of Green where we do get an earlier time to order than off-property we often cannot get fastpasses for some of the attractions.

Overall, I think the older plan rewarded astute planners no matter where you stayed. Today's system rewards those who stay in the Disney hotels, which is probably the point. Although I think it is a good idea to be paperless, I do miss having those paper passes. So I guess I would say the new system serves fast pass not me.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Original Poster
My visits usually follow some type of pattern (sometimes unbeknownst to even me).

I usually do one of the following:

Clockwise starting in Adventureland
Counter-clockwise starting in Fantasyland.
50/50 on direction starting in Liberty Square.

I rarely ever start in Tomorrowland. I like the vibe of Tomorrowland at night - thus usually end my night there (before the obligatory trip to the Emporium).

If I started in Liberty - my first FP would be HM, then maybe over to Splash or JC, then hit SM or Buzz - and try to get a 4th for Pan, Small World, Under the Sea.

You wouldn't believe how many conversations I've overheard where a family or group standing next to me says to each other - "So where's the next FP?" - and it turns out to be a ride clear across the park from where we are at - at that moment. Sometimes there's an addition to the statement that goes "Okay, so once we go on that ride (all the way across the park) - then we come back here and go on ______"

disneyspirit

Under the old system, we'd arrive at AK and we would hoof it to the other end of the park to get FP tickets to the safari. Actually, it was usually just me and I'd then head back to meet Mr. disneyspirit. I kind of appreciate just walking in and enjoying the place knowing I don't need to be at the safari until whatever time. The new system has saved me miles. It's not perfect but I can work with it.

Sonconato

With the new 6:30 closure of Kilimanjaro Safaris, it's literally impossible for us to get fastpasses for it on the weekends. Now we don't go to AK as much. I'd say I am the servant here.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Under the old system, we'd arrive at AK and we would hoof it to the other end of the park to get FP tickets to the safari. Actually, it was usually just me and I'd then head back to meet Mr. disneyspirit. I kind of appreciate just walking in and enjoying the place knowing I don't need to be at the safari until whatever time. The new system has saved me miles. It's not perfect but I can work with it.
I dont understand why people make it seem like with Legacy FP you had to RUN back and forth across the park, even if you arrived at rope drop? People would CHOOSE to do this. It was not necessary.

If you arrived at rope drop and simply walked to the Safari, (not run), you would not be waiting more than 10-15 minutes to ride by the time you got there. Or, get a FP then continue on over towards Jungle Trek, or Everest. People (not saying you specifically) make it seem like they would bolt over to Safari then have to run back towards DinoLand. Or same for HS. Sure, EVERYBODY went straight to TSMM, but all you had to do was either ride it first, or get a FP and head towards TGMR, Backlot Tour, Sounds Scary, Star Tours, etc. Even if you got a FP for TSMM and headed back towards ToT, it seriously isnt that far.

And the old, "We had to send a runner to get FP for everyone while we waited on them to return", is absolute nonsense. My brother and I would be the "runners". If we were at HS for rope drop, my mom and sisters would go to ToT (or whichever ride they chose) while my brother and I would go to TSMM and hop on and ride right away, then get FP's for everybody when we exited the ride, then meet up with my mom and sisters. Again, people would CHOOSE to sit still and wait for a family member to return instead of simply riding an attraction and meet up shortly after.

thomas998

I much preferred the older system. I loved planning my day and using the Unofficial Guide plans was always able to get onto every attraction we wanted to see, even during Spring Break when we always went. With the new system, even staying at Shades of Green where we do get an earlier time to order than off-property we often cannot get fastpasses for some of the attractions.

Overall, I think the older plan rewarded astute planners no matter where you stayed. Today's system rewards those who stay in the Disney hotels, which is probably the point. Although I think it is a good idea to be paperless, I do miss having those paper passes. So I guess I would say the new system serves fast pass not me.

I endure the new system and then just wonder why they don't just go Universal's way and sell an express pass and be done with it. Frankly just paying to go sooner would make them more money and eliminate the ridiculous pick your ride weeks in advance. Or at the very least make the dining reservation windows the same as the fastpass windows, that's been my biggest problem because when you have to make a reservation to eat months before your fastpass is available to make you often end up finding that the rides you want conflict with the reservations you've already made. It is a real pain.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Considering the only way to efficiently ride FoP is to immediately book whatever FP+ you can find for it during your visit time frame, and adjust your touring plans around that appointment (and expecting the same dilemma after SW:GE opens), I'd say everybody serves the FP.

Those who say they don't are comfortably numb on their blue pills.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom