MK Cindy's Castle Changing Color?

I think the pink is just downright ugly. It doesn't go with the grey bricks. It doesn't go with the newly painted blue turrets (which by the way do look very nice). And looking at both halves of the castle, it sticks out so much.

It might have been kind of cool to go over the whole castle (besides the turrets) with the grey brick/rock face rather than keep the rest of it with the sheek look.

Why can't they do what was done to Tokyo's?

fancicx29gt1.jpg

Courtesy jtcent.com

While the color scheme didn't jive with a lot of people, you have to admit that it is much more realistic, and doesn't have the plasticy look that MK's has/had (And TDL formerly had). It just looks less cheesy.

I digress, if they're really going for the pink approach, then from what I've seen, this really looks bad. The color clash of the pink and gray brick is really apparent, to me at least. If they really want to do a pink castle, power to them (Though I personally dislike it), but at least coordinate the colors and lighten up the tone of the brick-work.

Or is the refurbishment not completed, and my criticism is premature?

I completely agree with you one coordinating the color tones. They need a better balance between extremely dark brick work and the light pinkish top.

I really like DLRP's castle. It has some great architecture, and the color screams out to you (pink looks good on that one), but I would not want to come to WDW. Each resort needs its own unique castle to help it stand out. If someone looked at a picture of the DL castle and the HKDL castle, you wouldn't be able to tell a difference. They need to be individualist.

askmike1

Why can't they do what was done to Tokyo's?
Because they know that if they did, I might have to kill whoever made that decision. :)

While the color scheme didn't jive with a lot of people, you have to admit that it is much more realistic, and doesn't have the plasticy look that MK's has/had (And TDL formerly had). It just looks less cheesy.
1) Why would you want realistic in FANTASYland?
2) That design is not realistic for the gothic design CC was based on. If you look at the Château d'Ussé, Fontainebleau, Versailles, chateaux of Chenonceau, Chambord, Chaumont & Neuschwanstein Castle (all of which CC is based on), none of them look anything like Tokyo's castle. In fact, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a 'real' castle that looks like Tokyo's.

1FoolishMortal

I really like DLRP's castle. It has some great architecture, and the color screams out to you (pink looks good on that one), but I would not want to come to WDW. Each resort needs its own unique castle to help it stand out. If someone looked at a picture of the DL castle and the HKDL castle, you wouldn't be able to tell a difference. They need to be individualist.

I beg to differ.

Hong Kong Disneyland's castle:

img_2764.jpg

Disneyland's castle:

dlr_12_08_06_0021.jpg

Similar design, but completely different color palette. Same situation with DL/HKDL's castles as with WDW/TDL's castles.

mousermerf and scottnj1966 both got their pictures reposted on another board without crediting this site or them. At least mouser put a watermark on his!

Yes, it happened previously to mousermef just a couple of weeks ago, and it was the same poster again, "Innovations". The main issue for me, other than falsely taking credit for some else's photos, is using bandwidth for photo hosting that somebody may be paying for.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Yes, it happened previously to mousermef just a couple of weeks ago, and it was the same poster again, "Innovations". The main issue for me, other than falsely taking credit for some else's photos, is using bandwidth for photo hosting that somebody may be paying for.

It appears that Innovations copy and pasted from here to his own imageshack account.

So the issue really is rights to the photos.

The very least he could have done is acknowledge either this site or the owners of the photos.

malice

This was really noticeable on DL's SBC refurb in '04. The colors that were done for the 50th are really weird, and the blue shingles look awful when the sun hits them in the afternoon, it looks really bad on a cloudy day, but it's great at sunset.

WDW's newly painted turrets also have a horrible problem of glare during mid day.

Mystic

I was down at the World Nov 28 - Dec 6 and quite frankly I really like the new paint job. I find it gives the castle a much better depth perception than it had before. Now when you look at it from a distance it actually looks like it has an outer wall to it. Also the reason the colours on FL castle are different from Tokyo's is becuase the sun is different in Florida than Tokyo so that has to be taken into consideration. Personally I love the new colour scheme.

Buford

in person, the castle no longer looks pink to me (the deep pink must have been a base paint). very cream. I love it, and wouldn't want Tokyo's :D :D

see attachments -- taken very recently (in the bright one, you can see some of the original pink - since painted over - in the bottom right area)

Attachments

• cindy-1.jpg
    cindy-1.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 65
  • castle2.jpg
    castle2.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 83

CTXRover

I think the new paint job is very nice. It actually makes the castle look brighter and cleaner. Although I believe it is a shade of pink, it doesn't look like a bright pink as used on DL's or Paris's castle at all to me. In certain light and at certain distances, it almost looks white.

As with the different shades of gray used before, there are different shades of pink. Some of the bottom portions use a richer, darker pink where there was a darker gray used in the past. The pics above show that best on the right hand side of the castle and that shade is used elsewhere to highlight certain architecture around the entire castle. I don't believe that is actually a base coat, but I am not sure. The only portion I don't like is that darker pink on the bottom 1/4 of the main tower.

I am still curious if they are going to paint the center clock tower the lighter whitish pink color. Right now it seems out of place to me, but I can appreciate the idea of keeping it gray to make it appear that the castle has a solid fortress wall around it.

While I haven't seen Tokyo's castle in person, I personally favor MK's castle at this point. Even though the Tokyo paint job is very nice, it is a bit too gaudy for me in comparison, especially with the use of gold on the gargoyles and other aspects of the castle. The MK paint job appears to basically be brightening up the cold gray look rather than drastically changing the overall look.

Expo_Seeker40

I agree that I am not a fan of Tokyo's castle. Hong Kong's castle I thought was meant to look like Disneyland's castle on opening day in 1955. Hong Kong's castle seems the most realistic to me. I am not a major fan of Paris' castle, and Disneyland's castle current color scheme is a mix of old and new.

But as for the MK's castle, the new color scheme is not that bad at all. The entire castle looks refreshened and doesn't have the 50th stuff on it anymore. Think of it as a post 50th new era for the castle.

The entire base and other structures of the castle will most likely remain the same, just enhanced with paint. And while the upper part of the castle is a combination of a light pink and cream color, it will be fading away in the sun for all of you who don't like it. I personally think it adds depth, and makes the castle visible on those cloudy days. :wave:

csm

Also the reason the colours on FL castle are different from Tokyo's is becuase the sun is different in Florida than Tokyo so that has to be taken into consideration.

Man, I love when people make up facts to prove a non-existant point! :sohappy:

CubsRock

I agree with Expo, The castle does have refreshed and tidy look to it. the colors i have to admit are a bit different, but it fits well with the castle!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom