Mj 2.0!

Uponastar

Connor002 said:
Really? Why? :lookaroun

1. Because I like you.
2. Because he's really still 15 at heart.
3. Because you share a love of history.
4. And a love of WDW.
5. Because you're not like a lot of 15 year old boys.
He would notice and appreciate that right away.

Connor002

Uponastar said:
So what are people getting avigrated about?

Some things seem... excessive... I think it comes from the fact that there really are people out there in worse condition who would be grateful just to have a few home repairs done, let alone an entirely new house, 5 plasma screen TVs, a pool, a free year of cable, new computers and electorincs, and such...

Eh. *Shrug*

Uponastar

Connor002 said:
Some things seem... excessive... I think it comes from the fact that there really are people out there in worse condition who would be grateful just to have a few home repairs done, let alone an entirely new house, 5 plasma screen TVs, a pool, a free year of cable, new computers and electorincs, and such...

Eh. *Shrug*

Excess is so distasteful.
I would feel a little uncomfortable being given so much.
Even if no one knew.
In this case, everyone knows!
Talk about being conspicuous!

Connor002

Uponastar said:
1. Because I like you.
2. Because he's really still 15 at heart.
3. Because you share a love of history.
4. And a love of WDW.
5. Because you're not like a lot of 15 year old boys.
He would notice and appreciate that right away.

Aww Dot. :kiss:
I like #1 the best.

figmentmom

Uponastar said:
Even if no one knew.

I know just what you mean. The same amount of time, effort and money, spread around more, could do SO much more good...but then it wouldn't make for very entertaining TV, would it? :rolleyes:

Connor002

Uponastar said:
Even if no one knew.

Have you ever heard of St. Vincent's Soup Kitchen in Germantown?

Well, my old school ran community service trips down there for the 7th and 8th graders.
While there, we saw people who were at the point that life was a day to day struggle. In some cases, their meal at the soup kitchen was their only meal for the day. The worst was the children... so innocent, yet born into the wrong place at the wrong time. We would bring two things up there: ourselves and baskets upon baskets of soap donated by the parish. Such a small gift, and yet those people were quietly more thankful than anyone I've seen before.

Now I can' help but compare the two. People who have nothing v. people who were able to write a good story for a television show.

Life does not always favor the deserving.

Uponastar

Mary said:
I know just what you mean. The same amount of time, effort and money, spread around more, could do SO much more good...but then it wouldn't make for very entertaining TV, would it? :rolleyes:

Hi Mary!
Exactly right. You can't fault the network for the good they do.
But it sure would be nice if they could do a lot more of the little things for those who need them most.

Connor002 said:

Well, my old school ran community service trips down there for the 7th and 8th graders.
While there, we saw people who were at the point that life was a day to day struggle. In some cases, their meal at the soup kitchen was their only meal for the day. The worst was the children... so innocent, yet born into the wrong place at the wrong time. We would bring two things up there: ourselves and baskets upon baskets of soap donated by the parish. Such a small gift, and yet those people were quietly more thankful than anyone I've seen before.

Now I can' help but compare the two. People who have nothing v. people who were able to write a good story for a television show.

There is no comparison.
I guess there are different levels of need.
The people you helped would be overwhelmed by swimming pools and cable TV. They're needs are basic. A cup of soup and some human compassion go a long way for them. They are so grateful for so little.
The EMHE family may be needy to some extent, but they are also expecting a lot at this point. As if, somehow, they earned it. How disappointed would they be to come back and find their house had just been fixed up for them? Of course, they should be appreciative of that. But you can bet they wouldn't be.

By the way, Connor. Those trips you took to the Soup Kitchen. Never forget them.

talkinghands

Pongo said:
I've only seen snow twice. But I have been up north a lot. My grnadma lived in Maryland. We used to visit her a lot there. My sister lives in North Carolina, which isn't really "north" I guess. But it's more north than me :lol:

I've been to West Virginia in winter time. Also Maine.

I plan on going to college in Ohio. That will be the equvalent of a culture shock for me :lol:

I've never seen leaves change color. Except from a plane. And that was in Georgia :lookaroun

Where in Ohio are you planning to go. My daughter is at Kent State and it is cold. She is Florida born and breed. When she worked at Disney Tokyo Sea she had to ask costuming for longjohns because she was freezing. She saw her first real snow in Japan.

talkinghands

DisneyBunny said:
Umm... To us it is. Most of the Marylanders I know consider themselves yanks.
Depends on what part of Maryland your family is from. My Dad's family considered themselves Southerners and even had ancestors in the Confederate Army. They are from the DELMARVA penninsula. Little place called Crisfield

Nemo14

Connor002 said:

I really think all kids should be required to spend a little time working with the soup kitchens to see what life is like for some kids. Our youth group does a lot of volunteering at one of our local shelters, and it has really opened a lot of eyes here. One rewarding thing we see now is that whenever they have a brunch or pot-luck or whatever, they always wrap up whatwever is left and head to the shelter with it, without ever being reminded. Some of the adults in our community could learn a lot from these kids!

Uponastar

Nemo14 said:
I really think all kids should be required to spend a little time working with the soup kitchens to see what life is like for some kids. Our youth group does a lot of volunteering at one of our local shelters, and it has really opened a lot of eyes here. One rewarding thing we see now is that whenever they have a brunch or pot-luck or whatever, they always wrap up whatwever is left and head to the shelter with it, without ever being reminded. Some of the adults in our community could learn a lot from these kids!

I think that is one of the most amazing things I've heard in a long time.
They should be very proud of themselves.
How unselfish and giving.

Nemo14

Uponastar said:
I think that is one of the most amazing things I've heard in a long time.
They should be very proud of themselves.
How unselfish and giving.
They really are a great bunch of kids. We've sent them every summer to a different part of the country to work on repairing homes in poverty areas, and everyone is always impressed with our group.

OK, I'll stop the bragging now.

Connor002

Uponastar said:
Oh dear.
At least wait until the EMHE hub-bub is over.
I don't think your neighbors could take much more right now.

:lookaroun

My MomMom is taking three of her grandchildren up there this summer.
I've never even touched a real horse, and now I'll be riding one. :lookaroun
EDIT: At least, I don't think I've ever touched a horse before.
EDIT AGAIN: Do ponies count?

Nemo14

Connor002 said:
My MomMom is taking three of her grandchildren up there this summer.
I've never even touched a real horse, and now I'll be riding one. :lookaroun
EDIT: At least, I don't think I've ever touched a horse before.
EDIT AGAIN: Do ponies count?
up where?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom