Mission Space tourist died from bleeding of brain

Nicole

Thanks. Interesting that it doesn't say "the posessor of this ticket agrees to abide by posted warnings and ride restrictions" or something like that. I wonder if in the future they'll add that.

GothMickey

MuRkErY said:
There is no blame here.

If the lady did not know about her condition is is not her fault (If she did, then it is).

It is not Disney's fault either, as the ride is 100% safe, and warnings are provided for people who may be unsuitable to ride.

It is a entirely Human condition to "have" to assign blame to something, or someone.

Well sometimes we just have too say, nobody is to blame, and as terrible analogy as it is for this kind of thing "________ Happens".

Well, ok.. fine no one is to blame... But that last comment was truly uncalled for... God forbid something happens to your family memeber after riding M:S, see if you still say that.

GothMickey

Nicole said:
Thanks. Interesting that it doesn't say "the possessor of this ticket agrees to abide by posted warnings and ride restrictions" or something like that. I wonder if in the future they'll add that.

Hmm, interesting you bring that up. I wonder if the warning signs are enough to exonerate Disney. Probably.

wcox377492

I think someone summed it up well earlier. Somethings happen just because of human physical limitations (which are unknown to anyone), and unfortunate as they are, no one-- neither the person who didn't know they had the health issue nor Disney can be responsible for something totally unforseen.

Imagine what the result would be otherwise--- forget the suggestion of having everyone going to disney signing a release for any injuries or agreeing to follow warning signs. If disney were responsible for unknown and unforseeable health conditions, (assuming they were to stay in operation) they would have to require a full physical, including CAT scans or MRIs for each guest before they entered the park!

Captain Chaos

wcox377492 said:
I think someone summed it up well earlier. Somethings happen just because of human physical limitations (which are unknown to anyone), and unfortunate as they are, no one-- neither the person who didn't know they had the health issue nor Disney can be responsible for something totally unforeseen.

Imagine what the result would be otherwise--- forget the suggestion of having everyone going to Disney signing a release for any injuries or agreeing to follow warning signs. If Disney were responsible for unknown and unforeseeable health conditions, (assuming they were to stay in operation) they would have to require a full physical, including CAT scans or MRIs for each guest before they entered the park!

WCOX you just solved the WoL pavilion problems.. Disney should set up CAT Scans and MRI machines in the WoL pavilion, force all guests to go through for tests... They should also perform physicals and other tests to make sure the guests are healthy.. Once they are deemed healthy enough for M:S then they are lead out a secret passage and into the attraction... Genius.. why didn't Imagineering think of that.

Scooter

jrobinson424 said:
I swear I get so tired of hearing this crap from people. THE RIDE DID NOT KILL HER. In all actuality, I think the Tea Cups or The Tilt-da-World is more intense than Mission Space. The ignorance of people commenting on something they know nothing at all about iritates me to death. I would be willing to bet my left testicle that in every park everywhere in the world, someone has died. People die everyday in cars. Does that mean we shut down all cars? HELL NO IT DOESN'T. People who usually die on attractions(unless it's a mechanical failure) almost allways have health problems and I would almost be willing to bet they know they have a problem. This lady had high blood pressure. Unless she lived under a damn rock, she knew she had this problem. I am sure she has been to doctor. It really sucks that anyone dies on a ride(especialy a Disney ride)but it happens. Everyone has a date with death. It's just too bad it had to happen at a place whos number one goal is to make people happy and have the best time of their lives. Unless something mechanical kills, leave the ride running and shut your mouths.

I think that the ride didn't kill this poor lady and the young boy, but RIDING on the ride did.

Disney built a wonderful attraction here...they did all their research and made an attraction that was unlike any other in the world. They posted numerous rules concerning health risks and height requirements.
But in all their wisdom, Disney forgot one thing...

The Common sense rule.
I hear words in this thread like, "they didn't follow the rules", or "they didn't read the warning signs", or "it's common sense"

What Disney did was build a ride that can be harmful to people with medical conditions, what Disney DIDN'T do was realize that some people don't HAVE common sense or don't follow rules.

For example:I have enough common sense to know that if I ride the Tea Cups, chances are, I am going to get ill so I don't ride them.

Unfortunately, common sense can't be dictated and Disney must have made the assumption that all people that ride Mission Space have it. That's where they made their mistake, and in my opinion they should be liable for it.

The only way out of this as far as I can see is if Disney makes people sign wavers saying they are in good health and that Disney isn't responsible if something should happen to them while they are on this ride...and I don't see that happening.

MAF

dxer07002 said:
WCOX you just solved the WoL pavilion problems.. Disney should set up CAT Scans and MRI machines in the WoL pavilion, force all guests to go through for tests... They should also perform physicals and other tests to make sure the guests are healthy.. Once they are deemed healthy enough for M:S then they are lead out a secret passage and into the attraction... Genius.. why didn't Imagineering think of that.
Yeah cuz that wouldn't be expensive....:rolleyes:

rmp_king

Sometimes it's tough to know what medical conditions you have. I'm a healthy (at least think I am) 19 year old, but I could have a heart condition and die on Mission: Space.

I am a physics student, and I love Mission: Space. However, when I realise the physics of this ride I do cringe. I can understand how any medical condition could be aggrevated by this.

I also believe a lot of people would feel differently about this if this was someone from their own family who died.

MickeyTigg

napnet said:
The autopsy of Hiltrud Blümel showed of "severe, long standing high blood pressure," Chief Medical Examiner Dr. Jan Garavaglia said in a statement released Friday afternoon. There were no signs of trauma, she said.

Long standing....sounds like she was aware of the problem and shouldn't have been on the ride.

I'm sorry that this woman died but unfortunately the spin is going to be how dangerous the ride is rather than emphasizing the need for people with "known medical problems" not to ride the attraction.

Disney has more than enough warnings for M:S...people that shouldn't be on the ride need to use some common sense and stay off.

Pete C

I apologize if my celebration remark went over the top. However, I think there was a collective sigh of relief heard throughout WDWmagic that MS was not at fault here. I just got miffed because people were like "See, all you ignorant idiots out there that thought that MS could have possibly been at fault" sounds like there is some sort of victory. Or "It's a good thing that MS was not at fault, because I would hate for MS to lose its intensity" sounds very insensitive when someone has just died. I'm paraphrasing here, but both of those things were said before my post. Anyway, sorry if I offended anyone. Trust me I do realize that this lady could have died at any moment, and with her condition on several of the rides. I am through arguing my point about the numerous medical attention numbers and sickness accounts for the basis of adding a new layer of warnings. Apparently people are dropping their crusade based on this so I won't bang the drum any longer.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Pete C said:
For all of you that are celebrating this report, let me say that everyone that was arguing for the ride to be checked out already knew that the ride was probably going to be exonerated. So, this report CHANGES NOTHING about what has been said countless times in other threads about the warnings not being good enough, and the fact that way too many people get sick as hell on this ride.

What tosh! I dpo not like mission Space because its boring. However other members of my family do so I choose to ride. Technicaly I have high blood pressure which is controlled through medication, but as I can, do and am encouraged medicaly to do so, use a gym see no problem with a theme park attraction.

The sad thing is the warnings on this ride are so so so over the top that they IMHO lead to anxiety amongst some guests, this hightens any sensations and feelings. And dont forget that old herd instinct where people follow the pack. Everyone mentions the g force when talking about MS, but how many are actualy influenced by an enclosed space?

Realy I just think weve all become a little too soft these days

hokielutz

GothMickey said:
Hmm, interesting you bring that up. I wonder if the warning signs are enough to exonerate Disney. Probably.

Well I am sure it's enough to exonorate Disney, just not if there is a mechanical malfunction that causes injuries brought on by lazy inspections and maintenance.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom