Mission: Space question

thelookingglass

Original Poster
A lot of people seem to believe that Mission: Space (Orange) is more tame than the ride was when it debuted. Is this true? I've always been under the impression that while Green is obviously much tamer, Orange is the same level of intensity it was at opening in 2003.

Can anyone fill me in?

JIMINYCR

We love Mission Space. We may be one of the few who enter EPCOT and head for MS first instead of dashing to Soarin. We have never ridden the Green ride. Go for Lift Off!!!

LowesChevy

I remember going on the ride a few months after it opened and my brother, father and I could barely lift your arms up to reach the buttons. The next year we went which was May 05' it was not as difficult to raise your arms, but still very wicked on the body g-force wise.

They created Green team several years ago so that more guest could enjoy the ride overall without being subject to such intense g-forces. A smart move considering many guests could not enjoy or even attempt to ride the attraction.

thelookingglass

Original Poster
So Orange Team spins at 16 rpm - 35 mph, and it creates 2.5 g's. Some people insist that it used to be 3 g's or more, but possibly only during soft openings. Was it faster during soft opening?

Also, regarding Green side, why didn't they at least make it spin a little bit? Or alter the capsule's movement to compensate for the fact that its not spinning? It seems rather pointless since the capsule's movement was designed to be experienced while the capsule itself is spinning, not stationary.

Second, its silly that two bays are always devoted to Green, since Orange always has the greater demand.

Rob562

So Orange Team spins at 16 rpm - 35 mph, and it creates 2.5 g's. Some people insist that it used to be 3 g's or more, but possibly only during soft openings. Was it faster during soft opening?

Also, regarding Green side, why didn't they at least make it spin a little bit? Or alter the capsule's movement to compensate for the fact that its not spinning? It seems rather pointless since the capsule's movement was designed to be experienced while the capsule itself is spinning, not stationary.

Second, its silly that two bays are always devoted to Green, since Orange always has the greater demand.

Technically the Green chambers make one very slow, complete rotation during its ride cycle. Not totally sure of the reason, but that's what I've heard.

As for the intensity of Orange, I was among the first 100 or so Guests to ride it on its very first day of Soft Openings back in June '03. The intensity from my ride last month was just as I remember it from that first ride.

-Rob

Pioneer Hall

The orange version of the ride has not been altered at all from opening day. The only change that has taken place is the green implementation.

RonAnnArbor

As to the poster of why they don't make the Green side spin "a little bit" is EXACTLY its own answer -- so people who can't go on spinning rides don't get sick on it, and will experience it. Even "a little bit" of spinning or motion of the vehicle will get a large number of riders sick.

It DOES move slightly to compensate for the lack of spinning, by the way -- it has slight motion - and even that is reported by some riders as being more than they can handle....

It's why they have two different versions of it.

thelookingglass

Original Poster
Yeah I understand that. I've only rode green once, but it hardly felt like I was even on a ride.

But then, some people seem to love green, so whatever floats your boat, I guess.

CleveRocks

It is part of the human condition that when we experience something multiple times, we can (but don't always) perceive it as "less" than in the past. In psychology, this is variously known as "practice effects" and/or "desensitization."

In other words, it's perfectly normal to ride Mission:Space a few times (even years apart) and perceive it as less intense on the subsequent occasions.

Jeff456

Pretty sure it has always felt the same to me! I actually really like it, one of my favourite rides at Disney World definitely in my top 15 or so. Never ridden Green so can't comment on that but my mum and sisters have because they don't get on with orange.

EvilQueen-T

All the members of my family are big roller coaster riders with me being the one who gets car/ride sick. Myself with 3 of my coaster riding family members went on mission space when it first opened and all 4 of us felt awful after riding. I've not been on since they split it into two types. Maybe it's the combination of the g-force and the closed in space????

flynnibus

Premium Member
The long periods of sustained G forces are hard on people and many feel nauseated afterwards. It's just not what people are used to experiencing. Most coasters don't keep you in the Gs long. That's why the ones that do more.. also make people feel ill :) It's an intense attraction - no doubt. But it's also damn unique and a great attraction IMO.

Captain Hank

Technically the Green chambers make one very slow, complete rotation during its ride cycle. Not totally sure of the reason, but that's what I've heard.

As for the intensity of Orange, I was among the first 100 or so Guests to ride it on its very first day of Soft Openings back in June '03. The intensity from my ride last month was just as I remember it from that first ride.

-Rob
From what I've been told, the MAC (multi-armed centrifuge--the actual name of the ride system) has to make at least one rotation during a ride run in order to reset properly. For the record, it's at 3 RPM and takes place during the Mars landing sequence.

As I said before, for as long as Guests have been allowed on the attraction, the Orange team experience has not changed. Green team was added later specifically to accommodate those Guests who are sensitive to spinning and G-forces.

It is now required operationally that Guests always have the option to choose Green team. Bays 1 and 2 are dedicated Green bays so that if one goes down, Guests can still go on the other. If both Green bays go down for any significant length of time, the entire building may be cycled out and the queue dumped. It is theoretically possible to switch between the Green and Orange profiles, and each of the 4 bays is capable of running either. However, operationally, it's not feasible.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom