Mission Space more hints pointing to the ride system!

bearboysnc

I can't wait til it opens so i can ride it!! I hear you go upside down 7-12 times!!! AWEsOME!!

Originally posted by jmarc63
I don't know where your getting your information from but it is wrong. read previous postings on SM or the main updates page at the beginnning for the correct info on M:S

Guess what one way to simulate weightlessness is..... turning you upside down.

I believe it's called a gyroscope. They strap you in place and it rotates you on 2 axis'. The rapid revolutions give the illusion of being weightless. They have cheap versions of them at themeparks and fairs etc. The only thing Disney did was build a capsule for you to sit in, and add a screen.

So technically, you WILL go upside down.

jrashadb

Originally posted by MrNonacho

I wouldn't worry just yet. The official opening time from Disney has always been simply "2003." Spring '03 was hinted at by the now-gone countdown timer, and now the most recent word is that they're shooting for a January opening.

I can't see how this could possibly turn into another Test Track fiasco. On one hand, we've got what amounts to basically a simulator. Very limited in what it can do in terms of its motion. If a motor or something fails, at the very worst, you could get stuck upside down or something. Test Track has 20+ self-propelled vehicles on a closed circuit track simultaneously, with each reaching speeds of up to 65 MPH at intervals of 11-12 seconds. The worst-case failure scenario here is obviously much worse. It's a heck of a lot more complex just from a safety standpoint, and seems to me like it would be much more difficult to get (and keep) it running reliably and safely.

Just keep your fingers crossed, and hopefully this thing will be open within 6 months. :)

Good points all. I hadn't heard the January thing, but that would be perfect. Horizons closed on my birthday, Jan. 9. If MS opened on my birthday, not only would it be operfect for me, but it would add a kind of "full circle" element to it for true Epcot lovers in the know.
Yeah... Test Track is ridiculous. There are about a billion things that can go wrong on that ride. I remember one day I was there and my FastPass time for TT had come up. It was raining, so they told us to come back later after it stopped raining and after they ran the cars around the track a few times to dry it off, and I was a bit nervous about getting on. The ride is so fragile.
Of course, I got on... :lol: but that just demonstrates hoe fragile I think the ride is... I['m probably exahherating though.
I'm good at that.

will_hsv

Originally posted by bearboysnc

Guess what one way to simulate weightlessness is..... turning you upside down.

I believe it's called a gyroscope. They strap you in place and it rotates you on 2 axis'. The rapid revolutions give the illusion of being weightless. They have cheap versions of them at themeparks and fairs etc. The only thing Disney did was build a capsule for you to sit in, and add a screen.

So technically, you WILL go upside down.

The problem with this is that I am pretty sure that you will not be in a capsule by yourself. This fact would make the 'gyroscope' bigger and the further you are from the center point the more likely you will suffer some type of motion sickness. So while the person in the middle is enjoying the ride the ones on the ends are well :cry: . So i really dont theink they would build a ride like that. Not to mention the forces that would be exterted on the structure.

lentesta

Premium Member
I think Steve posted something last month saying they were in the 'test & adjust' phase on one of the simulators back then. If that's the case, it would mean they're making solid progress. The three remaining simulators should just be clones of the first, so getting that first one done is the big hurdle. I also agree that M:S probably does not have the same technological unknowns that TT did, so the delay risks might be less.

I would be surprised if the schedule for M:S did not take into account the lessons learned from Test Track. And the attendence boost they'll get when M:S comes online probably means they're throwing resources at any issues that come up. I've got faith that a group as collectively bright as Imagineering isn't going to be burned by the same problems twice.

Not to put undue pressue on the folks at WDI, but if this isn't one of the premier theme park attractions in North America (my current vote-Spiderman@IOA) I'll be really, really surprised. But I think it's gonna rock.

Len

bearboysnc

Originally posted by will_hsv
The problem with this is that I am pretty sure that you will not be in a capsule by yourself. This fact would make the 'gyroscope' bigger and the further you are from the center point the more likely you will suffer some type of motion sickness. So while the person in the middle is enjoying the ride the ones on the ends are well :cry: . So i really dont theink they would build a ride like that.

Look at the website showing the prototypes. Count the axis's.

Split hairs, I don't care... my point is JMarc is so sure that you don't go upside down.

I'm sure at some point you do. I'm just not so brazen to brand someone "WRONG", the way he does.

will_hsv

Originally posted by bearboysnc

Look at the website showing the prototypes. Count the axis's.

Split hairs, I don't care... my point is JMarc is so sure that you don't go upside down.

I'm sure at some point you do. I'm just not so brazen to brand someone "WRONG", the way he does.

I wont argue that you may go upside down. I am just not sure about the method. The fair and and other amusement park rides that you are talking about have 3 axis. And the stresses on the body and the structure would be greater in a large pod rather than the single rider set up they have. That was the only point I was trying to make. Also MaElStRoMROCKS has been posting some far out rumors on other threads so I am not sure that I would not have said he was wrong either.

Invero

Okay, I'm gonna add my two cents in here...

I got the opportunity to speak with a Guest Relations hostess who was part of the first group of non-M:S people to go into the building.

The "Test & Adjust" phase that is rumoring around... that is strictly the pre-show. They have NOT begun human testing of the actual ride testing. The GRH told me that she was part of that, but did not see the actual ride assembly itself. That is still "hush hush" She did tell me though, "It's not just a simulator... there's a lot more to it..."

An interesting note... if you all remember that satellite photo with the 4 circles? Well, when the ride "soft opens", only two of the four ride systems will be built. Once everything has opened, and they have worked out any kinks, THEN they will go ahead and complete the other two systems.

As for a date... no official date, only because they don't want to risk not having it ready for that date. However, they ARE on schedule, and the best guestimate I could get out of her would be "Spring, 2003"...

jmarc63

Originally posted by Fantasia Boi
Okay, I'm gonna add my two cents in here...

I got the opportunity to speak with a Guest Relations hostess who was part of the first group of non-M:S people to go into the building.

The "Test & Adjust" phase that is rumoring around... that is strictly the pre-show. They have NOT begun human testing of the actual ride testing. The GRH told me that she was part of that, but did not see the actual ride assembly itself. That is still "hush hush" She did tell me though, "It's not just a simulator... there's a lot more to it..."

An interesting note... if you all remember that satellite photo with the 4 circles? Well, when the ride "soft opens", only two of the four ride systems will be built. Once everything has opened, and they have worked out any kinks, THEN they will go ahead and complete the other two systems.

Tyler is there that much envolved in the pre-show that they haven't even gotten to the ride vehicles yet. If they havent then January seem unlikley to for the opening, I could be wrong but i woulf figure they would test for at least 90 days to figureout the kinks
As for a date... no official date, only because they don't want to risk not having it ready for that date. However, they ARE on schedule, and the best guestimate I could get out of her would be "Spring, 2003"...

Invero

Originally posted by jmarc63
Tyler is there that much envolved in the pre-show that they haven't even gotten to the ride vehicles yet. If they havent then January seem unlikley to for the opening, I could be wrong but i woulf figure they would test for at least 90 days to figureout the kinks

Not the Pre show, but the POST show... No clue what it involves... (And if I did, I wouldn't be able to share anyways)

And I'm not saying that they haven't touched the ride vehicles yet... I'm just saying that they have not tested with humans yet. I have no idea what the exact stage that part is in.

RobFL

Account Suspended
Post show requires a CM to memorize 15 pages of speil in order to host some sort of "game" type event.

Why they're learning it this early, I dunno... What it's all about? I'll know tomarrow morning. Wednesday was testing for the first two groups in post-show. I'm in group 3 :)

Tyler, why didn't you sign up? It was open to all WDW CM's.

-Rob

RobFL

Account Suspended
You know what?

Thinking about it.. I really don't give a rats rear end what the post show is about.. but i will atleast stay concious for the rest of you ;) I'm jsut exicted that we get to enter through the black gate on-stage (through the courtyard!).

I get to see that elusive moon after all this time :)

-Rob

Invero

Originally posted by RobFL
Post show requires a CM to memorize 15 pages of speil in order to host some sort of "game" type event.

Why they're learning it this early, I dunno... What it's all about? I'll know tomarrow morning. Wednesday was testing for the first two groups in post-show. I'm in group 3 :)

Tyler, why didn't you sign up? It was open to all WDW CM's.

-Rob

I'm assuming they're not learning it, but rather testing and tweaking it...

As for why I didn't sign up, I never heard about it! However, I was given some contact information, so I will hopefully be able to sign up for something else later. :)

RobFL

Account Suspended
It's speil... They ahve to learn it to do it.. ya know? And they'll be doing it tomarrow and have done it already on Wednesday. That's what baffles me.

Oh yeah, not to leave you thinking i'm insane or anything, i Know this because people from my work area are the ones doing T/A at SPACE and i occasionally get little bits of info from them. The ones learning speil for post-show get paid $1 more an hour like people at innoventions do.

-Rob

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom