Mission:SPACE 2?

Mr. Magic

Original Poster
I was just on screamscape.com when I saw a new post on the EPCOT area for WDW. It said that just like TOT, M:S will get new missions every few years. They are currently at the drawing boards.

What do you think?

AndyP

I think that would be really good, but i hope they don't start changing it before i get to ride it!

What would the changes be though ? Interactive for the guests, the video? the motion? Anyone any ideas ?

Wouldnt this take a long time. They would hve to get all the motions and stuff right. Or is there a computer program that they install and it changes the motions???:confused:

wdwowner

I would love to see a mission that would bring the Apollo spacecraft back for a vacation to the Moon, feel the Saturn V 7 million puonds of lift, land on the moon and return to Earth, feeling the g-forces on the re-entry to Earth.

Now THAT would be cool!
:sohappy:

I'd be shocked if the ride wasn't designed to be "upgraded." You spend that much on a top-tier attraction, you don't want it to grow stale. Tower of Terror is what, nearly 15 years old now? And it's as fresh as ever, due to the upgradability.

mr snrub

Originally posted by FourFourSeven
I'd be shocked if the ride wasn't designed to be "upgraded." You spend that much on a top-tier attraction, you don't want it to grow stale. Tower of Terror is what, nearly 15 years old now? And it's as fresh as ever, due to the upgradability.

i thought it was gonna be 10 next year :confused:

mickey04

ToT opened in '94 meaning it'll be 10 next year.

Now, back to M:S. What I think would be really cool was if they someday created four seperate missions for each of the centrifuges. One could go to the moon, another Mars, Pluto, etc. That way, guests could choose where they want to go. It would also be good for WDW as guests would want to return to Epcot again and again so that they could experience all the different missions. And then, just when you think you've seen it all, they could add a new mission every few years. Imagine the possibilities. What do you guys think.

SIDE NOTE: Probably smart on WDW's part to call it Mission: Space, so they could change it to go anywhere.

MKCustodial

Originally posted by mickey04
Now, back to M:S. What I think would be really cool was if they someday created four seperate missions for each of the centrifuges. One could go to the moon, another Mars, Pluto, etc. That way, guests could choose where they want to go. It would also be good for WDW as guests would want to return to Epcot again and again so that they could experience all the different missions. And then, just when you think you've seen it all, they could add a new mission every few years. Imagine the possibilities. What do you guys think.

What exactly would be the difference between going to Mars, Jupiter or Pluto? Ok, the moon would be different, even though I don't think it'd be able to be done, since there'd have to be a more constant zero-G feeling than the Mars adventure. But other planets? It's be pretty much take-off, land, and some kind of peril to make it exciting. There are just so many canyons a Guest can almost fall from, you know? :lol:

mickey04

Originally posted by MKCustodial
What exactly would be the difference between going to Mars, Jupiter or Pluto? Ok, the moon would be different, even though I don't think it'd be able to be done, since there'd have to be a more constant zero-G feeling than the Mars adventure. But other planets? It's be pretty much take-off, land, and some kind of peril to make it exciting. There are just so many canyons a Guest can almost fall from, you know? :lol:
Alright, so that probably wouldn't work (especially since most of the other planets are gaseous.) But how about a deep space flight? You could explore new galaxies, almost get stuck in a black hole, witness a supernova that sends your shuttle hurling backwards. Whatever. What I said before was just a rough idea. Like I said, the possibilities are endless.

dxwwf3

Hey I'm all for it if they bump up the intensity on M:S 2. I don't care where we go as long as we experience better G Forces :lol:

But if it stays the way it does for 10 more years I don't think it will get stale. It has great re-ride ability and could probably only be improved by a more intense program.

Shaman

Maybe they can add a little ENCOUNTER with a couple of ALIENS.

I think that M:S 2 is still in a distant galaxy far far away, however the ride seems to have flexibility to change and I only hope that a more spontaneous element is added...perhaps different endings...it should be interesting to see what happens in the years to come.

:lookaroun

ToTBellHop

Mars isn't the only planet in the universe worth exploring, and there are far greater challenges in space than meteor showers--the options for WDI if they choose to modify this ride are endless.

Originally posted by mickey04
ToT opened in '94 meaning it'll be 10 next year.

Sorry - my mistake. I don't think Disney-MGM is even 15 yet... But the point remains the same - ToT is relatively old for a "high tech" ride, and yet it remains fresh due to its upgradability. And I strongly suspect that Disney did the same thing with M:S.

It would be incredible if Disney could make it truly interactive - having the centrifuge change its spinning patterns dependant on your actions, but I doubt that is possible, with several pods attached to one centrifuge

wild01ride

If you think back to our dear departed Horizons, we got to choose what culture we got to see at the end (Underwater Life, Space Life, etc.). If that relic could give riders a choice then there ought to be a possibility that they would include this in a future M:S ride scenario.

As far as adaptability- the company that built the ride system for M:S builds the same system for flight training. The flight training systems are completely controlled by user input. WDW would never have a high-intensity ride controlled by the riders (since a yahoo like me would get on and try to fly it like an F-16), however it should be a cinch to set up the programming to be capable of offering as many different ride scenarios as the programmers can put into it. Given the technology, there is no reason why the experience couldn't be different on any number of successive flights.
Overall though, the most difficult thing that WDI has to deal with is making whatever ride scenarios they choose so that everyone on board doesn't :hurl: !!:lol:

mr snrub

Originally posted by wild01ride
If you think back to our dear departed Horizons, we got to choose what culture we got to see at the end (Underwater Life, Space Life, etc.). If that relic could give riders a choice then there ought to be a possibility that they would include this in a future M:S ride scenario.

but horizons was FAR simpler than M:S

The_CEO

Yeah have each pod split into 4 sections and play diffrent audio, movement and sight...

Even with a pod pick.. Remember if it involves G's at a certain time. That just raises the bar of difficulty. It could be done. But not easy.

Glasgow

I wouldn't expect changes anytime soon .. look at Star Tours. On the other hand though, this is now Epcot's prime time ride so it'll harbor the most attention - it would certainly make sense to keep it up to date. It'd be nice if you could pick the intensity of your ride .. 'mild', 'medium', 'hang on', and 'lose your lunch'

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom