Missing trees in hub

Dizknee_Phreek

Original Poster
so, does anyone know why Disney took the trees out of the MK hub, or if it's a permenant change? remember when the trees were all big and pretty? then, earlier in the year, they replaced them with smaller trees. THEN, when i went before Thanksgiving, there was only one tree in the hub, and a sign that said "Please excuse the landscaping. Replanting will soon be taking place." or something very similar to that. a few days later, ALL the trees from the hub were gone, and replaced with small, festive evergreens (2 per planter)

i've got a pic of the 1 tree in my gallery: http://photoalbums.wdwmagic.com/showphoto.php?photo=6206

and i'll post a pic of the evergreens momentarily.

it's not really a bad look...i mean, you DO get a better view of the castle. but i kinda miss the shade.

reefdood

I've heard two stories.

1) they were removed so the view of the castle and fireworks wouldn't be obstructed.
2) they were removed to keep the castle's appearance "to scale". Basicly the big trees made the castle seem small because the castle is built as an optical illusion to look larger than it actually is.

Invero

We all noticed that too when we were there for The MVMCP WDWMagic meet... Looking back at pictures of the MK back in the 70's, everything was so sparse... it hadn't grown in. Well, I guess it finally did, and something had to be done.

celestia

according to my friend that works at MK, it was done to make the castle look large again like the origional concept, since the trees have grown too big

(they did the same thing not too long ago with the palm trees on sunset boulevard over at disney-mgm studios, to make the buildings appear taller)

MicBat

WOW!! It looks so different! Like it was when the park first opened. Hopefully it wont stay like that. Thanks for the pic!

CTXRover

Since the removal of the big trees they have added a poinsetta tree (like those that are at the entrance at Epcot in the past) in each "island" with each framed by two live evergreen trees with twinkling lights for the holiday season. After that it is believed that new magnolia trees will be planted. It really gives a different feeling to the place. Much more open and the view of the castle and the new fireworks are completely unobstructed. Its kind of nice. The only complaint I have is that now when walking from Liberty Square to the hub the Contemporary Resort is in plain view in the distance. I never noticed it before so I imagine the trees always blocked view of the Contemporary before.

pan11435

Oh no...I couldn't imagine seeing the Contemporary from the hub.

Well, if you think about it that shouldn't be that bad. I would think that it would appear as part of the skyline of tomorrowland. I think that it may fit in just like how you can see the contemporary from many places within tomorrowland.

niteobsrvr

Originally posted by pan11435
Well, if you think about it that shouldn't be that bad. I would think that it would appear as part of the skyline of tomorrowland. I think that it may fit in just like how you can see the contemporary from many places within tomorrowland.

I read somewhere once that this is exactly why the Contemporary was placed where it is as it becomes a part of the skyline while looking toward Tommorrowland and does not appear out of place.

Dizknee_Phreek

Original Poster
Originally posted by CTXRover
Since the removal of the big trees they have added a poinsetta tree (like those that are at the entrance at Epcot in the past) in each "island" with each framed by two live evergreen trees with twinkling lights for the holiday season. After that it is believed that new magnolia trees will be planted. It really gives a different feeling to the place. Much more open and the view of the castle and the new fireworks are completely unobstructed. Its kind of nice. The only complaint I have is that now when walking from Liberty Square to the hub the Contemporary Resort is in plain view in the distance. I never noticed it before so I imagine the trees always blocked view of the Contemporary before.

yeah, i mentioned the evergreens in my first post. i just now posted a pic of it. i tried to brighten the pic up a bit, but it's still rather dark and hard to see... sorry :(
http://photoalbums.wdwmagic.com/showphoto.php?photo=6242

thanks, you all, for all your great information! it all makes perfect sense! i'm sure it's a great help for the viewing of Wishes! :wave:

JLW11Hi

Originally posted by niteobsrvr
I read somewhere once that this is exactly why the Contemporary was placed where it is as it becomes a part of the skyline while looking toward Tommorrowland and does not appear out of place.

Yeah, and that's why the building on your left as you enter Main Street (City Hall or something??) is so huge....to block the view of the Contemporary

Dizknee_Phreek

Original Poster
Originally posted by JLW11Hi
Yeah, and that's why the building on your left as you enter Main Street (City Hall or something??) is so huge....to block the view of the Contemporary

:confused: are you thinking about the Exposition Hall to your right? cause, if you enter Main Street from the entrance, then Contemporary would be to your right. unless you mean when you enter Main St. from the hub or something, then it would be on your left.

Pixie Duster

Wow:eek: , I worked a shift at MK about a month ago at 5 in the morning, so it was just me a few more CMs and then the operational CMs sprucing up the place. I stept out onto Main Street and looked at the castle and was thinking as much as I love big trees and all, they were kind of blocking the view a bit...

JLW11Hi

Originally posted by Dizknee_Phreek
:confused: are you thinking about the Exposition Hall to your right? cause, if you enter Main Street from the entrance, then Contemporary would be to your right. unless you mean when you enter Main St. from the hub or something, then it would be on your left.

Whoops....heh, yeah, you're right.

I need to study my lefts and rights :)

David

I always liked the trees in the hub, but looking at the picture I think the castle is more impressive without them. It's always a thrill to walk down Main Street with the castle at the end of the street, and I believe that it makes it look larger than before with nothing to obstruct the view. Of course, I only have the pics to go on right now, but in 240 days..........

Dizknee_Phreek

Original Poster
David, the castle is DEFINATELY more impressive now! when i first saw it in person, i was like 'whoa! something's different here!" it's like a whole new castle now! i too liked the trees, but i really think removing them had to be done, not only for Wishes, but just for the overall look. it really makes the castle stand out! you'll be impressed, trust me!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom