Miscellaneous Tokyo Thoughts

BayouShack

The did elect to build Pinocchio's facade for Tokyo, so I'm sure they could have done the same for Toad Hall
It’s not a tent, but it’s also not the same village facade at Disneyland/DLP. Not sure why they made it look like the discount version. Yes, it doesn’t need to be raised because there’s no basement underneath, but the DLP version is the same design.
7DE7BF4E-CF21-470A-ACDA-59AB86FDDE31.jpeg

Sharon&Susan

Were they not basically planned and built simultaneously? DL's Pinocchio opened a little over a month after TDL opened.
I believe they had definitely decided on Pinocchio in TDL about 2 or more years before they even started touching the Fantasyland theater in DL if that's what you mean.

I'd be surprised if OLC was the one who spurred the development of PDJ considering how conservative they were with the ride lineup at opening (I believe the only other two "unproven" attractions existed solely to make the park educational and get schools to do field trips). But it's possible.

PiratesMansion

I believe they had definitely decided on Pinocchio in TDL about 2 or more years before they even started touching the Fantasyland theater in DL if that's what you mean.

I'd be surprised if OLC was the one who spurred the development of PDJ considering how conservative they were with the ride lineup at opening (I believe the only other two "unproven" attractions existed solely to make the park educational and get schools to do field trips). But it's possible.
Well they reportedly hyped it as exclusive to Tokyo Disneyland when it opened, even if that wasn't true for very long.

So I imagine for them one newer attraction wouldn't be anything they would have been against. For all we know, perhaps they were really unimpressed with both versions of Toad.

BasiltheBatLord

Looks like TDR may remain open during the new state of emergency. So far the only operational changes are lowering capacity to 5,000 and suspending alcohol sales at the parks. For reference, other theme parks across Japan, including Universal, are closing again in response to the new wave of infections.

SweetDuffy101

Okay let me get it Clear, And this is the only time im going to say it. Tokyo Disney Resort is not in Tokyo, Its in Chiba Prefecture Urayasu City Maihama, People are having misconceptions of the park closing.
1) Tokyo City Osaka, Hyogo and Kyoto are all under State of Emergency.
(Meaning All theme parks amusement parks leisure and entertainment Must Close until May 11 or if it cant be canceled Audiences are not allowed to attend.)
2) Chiba Prefecture is under Anti virus warning ⚠️
(Meaning Alcohol are banned to be served until the warning has been lifted).
All establishments Including Tokyo Disney Resort are only allowed to Open Until 8 pm to guests.
and A Capacity Under 5000 guests per park.
3) Until Chiba Prefecture Goes Under State of emergency THERE WILL BE NO CLOSURE OF THE PARKS AND RESORTS.

BasiltheBatLord

Just by chance I ended up at TDL today. Wasn't planned.

The park is quite sparse with the newly reduced capacity limit. Wait times were great all day (walked on several e-ticket attractions) and the standby pass system was not being used except for Hunny Hunt, making park operations feel almost normal again.

Here's a photo of Fantasyland for an example of how empty it was at times:

IMG_1975.jpg

I rode BatB again. The ride still sucks, but the queue really is well done. Too bad it moves so fast inside that you don't really get a chance to take it in though. Also the giant book at the end of Hunny Hunt wasn't working, it was stuck closed.

jrhwdw

Rumor has it Easter parade and Easter Greeting will return very soon either end of this month or 1st week of June.
June? How long would it run for? Is it worth it?? Don't get me wrong, it's good news but Easter at TDR usually ends early-mid June.

Any buzz on Dreamlights and Believe! Sea of Dreams?

SweetDuffy101

June? How long would it run for? Is it worth it?? Don't get me wrong, it's good news but Easter at TDR usually ends early-mid June.

Any buzz on Dreamlights and Believe! Sea of Dreams?
Rehearsals had been happening within the past few days, Timeline of the special event parades and greetings ends in July, Well there's still a pandemic and they need to get the merch that didn't get released last year so. And there are no dancers still social distanced version.

I haven't heard anything about believe and Dreamlights.

BasiltheBatLord

Snow White's Enchanted Wish and the whole history of the Fantasyland dark rides going through their various incarnations over the decades made me think about how it's very rare for attractions at TDR to ever be changed or have any additions added to them (which could be a good thing or bad thing depending on your perspective...)

It's easier to count the attractions at TDR which have seen any changes since their opening compared to those that haven't.

Off the top of my head:
- PotC got the movie refurb, including one small, unique new scene in the caves (not sure what year but I would guess '06 or '07)
- Small World got the Disney characters added and a re-done queue (I believe this was 2018)
- Star Tours became Star Tours 2.0 (2013)
- CBJ got both the Christmas and Vacation Hoedown overlays over the years and still cycles through them, or at least did until COVID
- Tiki Room has of course gone through a couple versions and has had the Stitch one for a while now.
- HM got HM Holiday, supposedly using the props originally planned for Florida
- In TDS: Sinbad got revamped in 2007

That's it. Every other attraction at the resort to my knowledge has never been changed at all since opening except for regular maintenance and refurbs. Even classic Disney attractions like PotC and HM, which have been tampered with constantly in the U.S. are still as they were at opening in 1983 except for the changes I already mentioned above. Am I wrong on anything?

PiratesMansion

Snow White's Enchanted Wish and the whole history of the Fantasyland dark rides going through their various incarnations over the decades made me think about how it's very rare for attractions at TDR to ever be changed or have any additions added to them (which could be a good thing or bad thing depending on your perspective...)

It's easier to count the attractions at TDR which have seen any changes since their opening compared to those that haven't.

Off the top of my head:
- PotC got the movie refurb, including one small, unique new scene in the caves (not sure what year but I would guess '06 or '07)
- Small World got the Disney characters added and a re-done queue (I believe this was 2018)
- CBJ got both the Christmas and Vacation Hoedown overlays over the years and still cycles through them, or at least did until COVID
- Tiki Room has of course gone through a couple versions and has had the Stitch one for a while now.

That's it. Every other attraction at the resort to my knowledge has never been changed at all since opening except for regular maintenance and refurbs. Even classic Disney attractions like PotC and HM, which have been tampered with constantly in the U.S. are still as they were at opening in 1983 except for the changes I already mentioned above. Am I wrong on anything?
Peter Pan got a decent refresh sometime between my first visit (2010) and second (2019), which took what had seemed like a fairly boilerplate WDW clone to one that takes more influences from the Disneyland version. I'm still a little bitter about the London scene switch-out.

Space Mountain was refreshed around 2008 to its current incarnation.

The Jungle Cruise refresh a few years ago too.

They also did Small World Holiday in the past. I believe they stopped because they were preparing to rebuild the ride, but then plans changed and it never returned.

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster

Off the top of my head:

Peter Pan got a decent refresh sometime between my first visit (2010) and second (2019), which took what had seemed like a fairly boilerplate WDW clone to one that takes more influences from the Disneyland version. I'm still a little bitter about the London scene switch-out.

They also did Small World Holiday in the past. I believe they stopped because they were preparing to rebuild the ride, but then plans changed and it never returned.

Stormrider became Nemo and Friends Searider

A lot of Tokyo Disneyland has also been replaced entirely. Meet the World, Star Jets, Grand Circuit Raceway, the Skyway, Mickey Mouse Revue, Cinderella Castle Mystery Tour are all gone as are the various theater shows that played in the spaces where Buzz Lightyear and Stitch Encounter are now.

BasiltheBatLord

Stormrider became Nemo and Friends Searider

A lot of Tokyo Disneyland has also been replaced entirely. Meet the World, Star Jets, Grand Circuit Raceway, the Skyway, Mickey Mouse Revue, Cinderella Castle Mystery Tour are all gone as are the various theater shows that played in the spaces where Buzz Lightyear and Stitch Encounter are now.
Yeah I was trying to list specifically rides which had changes or progressed to new "versions" as opposed to rides which were completely replaced by something.

I did forget the Space Mountain refresh, I think that was '06.

Wasn't aware of the Peter Pan or Jungle Cruise changes. Actually come to think of it I think I remember projection mapping in Tokyo's Jungle Cruise temple.

BrianLo

Without the lists to back it up, I feel that Disneyland is far more likely to update attractions and WDW is more likely to replace. Tokyo seems to most consistently keep their entertainment updated and is prudent on maintenance. Based on recent history, the company operated differently in the 90s.

I mean, DHS has 30 year old stage shows and Tokyo seems to replace theirs on a 5 year cycle.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom