Miscellaneous Tokyo Thoughts

ThemeParkTraveller

Copying the tweet shared by @tanc. Should we also expect an Avengers Campus somewhere in TDR in the future? Unless adding Groot and others in IASW satisfies Disney's Marvel requirement. Not a fan of OLC being forced to accept projects they are not interested in (nor the best fit for their guest demographics).

Screenshot 2024-04-28 130231.png

Last edited:

ThemeParkTraveller

Where would an Avengers Campus even go? The NYC section of DisneySea?

It sounds really out of place for the existing parks if they stick with the modern, repurposed factory aesthetic.

I agree Marvel would not be a good fit for the parks. If they must, I guess behind Tomorrowland would be the only place it could blend in. Although a lot of the MCU takes place in New York, American Waterfront predates all of the characters by a few decades at least.

BrerFoxesBayouAdventure

Splash will get a re-theme in a few years.
The pressure is getting into OLC from WDC.
Thats all im going to say and OLC cant say no on this one.
What can Disney logically do to OLC? Song of the South is PD over there in Japan and I don't know if the company's petty enough to use an attraction the OLC wants in exchange for the removal of Splash.

Stitchon

What can Disney logically do to OLC? Song of the South is PD over there in Japan and I don't know if the company's petty enough to use an attraction the OLC wants in exchange for the removal of Splash.

It's a licensing agreement for the Disney characters, themes, etc. Knowing Disney, the agreement probably covers all the bases in regards to how they want their brand represented in the parks. If Disney doesn't believe the Song of the South IP is good for their brand, pushing for the licensee to remove it doesn't seem out of the ordinary. It's equally unsurprising they want their best and most relevant IP like Marvel represented in Tokyo, regardless of whether the Japanese care about the IP or whether the OLC wants it.

GenChi

Some of you definitely know Tokyo way more so could clarify, but how could they even force OLC to change the theming? I don't see how they could

At least from what I know the agreement goes to the mid 2070s (imagine Iger's frozen head ruling this in the 2070s lol) and even if they could they can't revoke it and lose Tokyo for this without it being career suicide for every executive at the company. People say they are threatening with a loophole of not approving rides/IP usage but Wreck it Ralph was approved this week so clearly not the case, and good luck explaining to shareholders why you're boycotting one of your biggest revenue generators. Further, OLC under contract would have to pay for all construction costs for the entire remodel. If there was something they could be pressured (as obviously the west has tried) they would have announced it over the past 4 years.

Only way I see this happening is if Disney gives them a real sweetheart deal. Which would be covering the entire cost, developing a new ride based to OLC's preferred replacement property (which would not be Tiana), maybe even adding a carrot like making Duffy media which they can use to further market them. How I see it they'd have to be given a deal that can't be refused, not be pressured to cave.

BrerFoxesBayouAdventure

While I think this will happen, they will probably take their sweet time doing it. It's probably not as much of a priority as the US retheme is as the Song of the South controversy isn't nearly as big in Tokyo (due to the film being public domain, due to the voiceover dubs removing the minstrel-like aspects of the Brer characters, due to less familiarity on the history of slavery in the U.S. and due to Japanese audiences being less impacted by the stereotypes and historical revisionism in the film).
Tokyo's probably going to play the long game, I mean Disney already made them remove the music for "diversity and inclusivity purposes" back in 2021(?) and has seemingly not allowed them to produce merchandise for the ride seeing as how you can't find anything with the critters on it in the designated gift shop. It was like that in 2019 too, the Hoot n' Holler Hideout sold nothing but Chip and Dale crap in there.

IMDREW

So I am looking at going for a vacation package for my trip to TDR this September. It's a lot of money, but the guarantee of entering Fantasy Springs and experiencing the 4 attractions as many times as I like through the fast lane are pulling me across the line. And also guaranteed passes for Beauty and the Beast, Splash Mountain, Journey to the Center and Soaring are making this very inviting. But Ive got a few questions and need some help if anyone knows more.

Does anyone know if prices for the packages are set or do they still tend to go up and down?
Also, do I have to pay in full at once?
And if I cancel well before hand will I get a full refund?

hopemax

So I am looking at going for a vacation package for my trip to TDR this September. It's a lot of money, but the guarantee of entering Fantasy Springs and experiencing the 4 attractions as many times as I like through the fast lane are pulling me across the line. And also guaranteed passes for Beauty and the Beast, Splash Mountain, Journey to the Center and Soaring are making this very inviting. But Ive got a few questions and need some help if anyone knows more.

Does anyone know if prices for the packages are set or do they still tend to go up and down?
Also, do I have to pay in full at once?
And if I cancel well before hand will I get a full refund?
I can help with a few things because we just booked a 2-night package at the Fantasy Springs hotel for our trip in October! This is our second TDR trip, the first we followed the advice to skip a package because it was cheaper a la cart pricing. But the guaranteed access to Fantasy Springs and unlimited Premier access is a game changer. Combined with a historic exchange rate, it was hard to say no. A YOLO opportunity. If ever there was a “cheap” time to splurge, and you are paying in USD, it’s now.

Packages you do pay in full at booking. Which if you are checking the current exchange rate, can make the actual package price go up or down depending on the day you book. But the Japanese prices don’t fluctuate. As long as you cancel 21 days in advance you can get a full refund.

One annoying thing, is that the ride selections you choose are factored into the price. You are basically locking in a time and prepaying for the Premiere Access. But if you want to make a modification, the whole package is rebooked, and the old one refunded. So for us, I didn’t realize the Baymax attraction, which is new to us, is essentially Mater or Alien Saucers ride. We didn’t need that one, so tonight I swapped it for the generic ride (which we can use at Pooh). This caused our package price in yen to go down 1800. But because of the exchange rate between 2AM and 11PM changed, and for us its 456,000 yen being charged, it actually resulted in like a $20 price increase! So be mindful of what you select and limit changes… unless the dollar gets even stronger.

IMDREW

I can help with a few things because we just booked a 2-night package at the Fantasy Springs hotel for our trip in October! This is our second TDR trip, the first we followed the advice to skip a package because it was cheaper a la cart pricing. But the guaranteed access to Fantasy Springs and unlimited Premier access is a game changer. Combined with a historic exchange rate, it was hard to say no. A YOLO opportunity. If ever there was a “cheap” time to splurge, and you are paying in USD, it’s now.

Packages you do pay in full at booking. Which if you are checking the current exchange rate, can make the actual package price go up or down depending on the day you book. But the Japanese prices don’t fluctuate. As long as you cancel 21 days in advance you can get a full refund.

One annoying thing, is that the ride selections you choose are factored into the price. You are basically locking in a time and prepaying for the Premiere Access. But if you want to make a modification, the whole package is rebooked, and the old one refunded. So for us, I didn’t realize the Baymax attraction, which is new to us, is essentially Mater or Alien Saucers ride. We didn’t need that one, so tonight I swapped it for the generic ride (which we can use at Pooh). This caused our package price in yen to go down 1800. But because of the exchange rate between 2AM and 11PM changed, and for us its 456,000 yen being charged, it actually resulted in like a $20 price increase! So be mindful of what you select and limit changes… unless the dollar gets even stronger.
Thank you! This helped so much! I’m looking at doing a package for one night and then book 3 separate nights after. Not expecting them to let us stay in the room though. But would be nice.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom