Mirror Walt Disney World-A

DisneyManOne

Original Poster
Mirror Walt Disney World-A

cinderella-castle-50th-anniversary-hi-res.jpg

As everyone knows, I am currently creating a hypothetical “What if?” scenario called Mirror Walt Disney World. Inspired by @MANEATINGWREATH and his Mirror Disneyland, Mirror Walt Disney World offers a look at how I would personally shape the parks over time, mostly by resurrecting concepts that never made it past the drawing board, and by keeping a few old favorites open.

But as of this April, MEW began work on his third and final version of Mirror Disneyland, and needless to say, what he had planned piqued my interest. In addition to the idea base of “what Disneyland in California might have looked like had Walt received generous financial backing and the blessing of size”, as he so succinctly put it, as well as the base of “What would happen if WestCOT was built?”, he also added a third park to this particular iteration: Disney-Universal Studios.

He described Disney-Universal Studios as basically a hybrid of the two most prominent names in theme parks. This was a place where two of the biggest movie titans could work together. A place where Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge and The Wizarding World of Harry Potter were within mere steps of each other. But, he also made this note: “By contractual agreement, MCA-Universal would not be allowed to build another Universal Studios theme park until 2000, and likewise, Disney would be unable to build another Studios-themed park of their own until 2000.”

And that, above all else, piqued my interest more than anything.

308439241.jpg

A Walt Disney World without Disney-MGM Studios…

Almost immediately, my mind began racing with ideas of what would happen to the resort without a Disney-MGM Studios. What would it be like to see only three icons in the resort’s advertising? What would it be like to not see the Earfell Tower or the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror marking the horizons? Sure, it would definitely make getting around the resort far more of a breeze, but then again, so many beloved rides would not have a home at Walt Disney World. I knew I wanted to keep some of the park’s biggest attractions, but where to put them? What will become of Galaxy’s Edge? Naturally, that land would have to be somewhere. And so, I have decided to work on a supplementary project to my main Mirror Walt Disney World, which takes place in the same universe as Mirror Disneyland 2.0, the 2020 iteration of the Mirror Disneyland project, in order to preserve Disney-MGM Studios as its own park.

Mirror Walt Disney World-A will be a much more contained version of Mirror Walt Disney World. The only park I will offer a full walk-through of is the Magic Kingdom, which will receive the most changes of all to account for the loss of Disney-MGM Studios. Plus, given that it is the park that will celebrate 50 years, I thought it only fitting to give it a full walk-through. The other parks will receive relatively smaller changes, or no changes at all. For this reason, when the time comes, I will only make a few posts detailing those changes, and I will also add a Table of Contents after this post with links leading to the original Mirror Walt Disney World postings so that you can still get a full picture of what Mirror Walt Disney World-A will entail. Posts will come out one week at a time, and I intend to do twenty posts, in order for the last one to be uploaded on October 1, the very day Walt Disney World turns 50.

And now, I invite you all to sit back and relax, as we begin our 20-week sojourn through the wonders of Mirror Walt Disney World-A.

Last edited:

DisneyManOne

Original Poster
Table of Contents

THE HISTORY OF MIRROR WALT DISNEY WORLD-A
  • The Magic Begins (Covering the origin of Walt Disney World, its Opening Day components, and a brief description of the Magic Kingdom)
  • One Little Spark (Covering the expansion of the 1970s, and the origin and a brief description of EPCOT)
  • The Circle of Life Continues (Covering the development of Disney’s Animal Kingdom)
  • The 50th Approaches (Covering the other additions of the 1990s, and the origins and development of Port Disney)
THE TWO HUBS OF WALT DISNEY WORLD
MAGIC KINGDOM
EPCOT
DISNEY’S ANIMAL KINGDOM
PORT DISNEY
THE REST OF THE WORLD

Last edited:

DisneyManOne

Original Poster
The Magic Begins

wdo498323LARGE.jpg

There is a place where amazing things happen just to put a smile on the face of a child...

Where skies sparkle in moments of wonder that get to live forever as your memories...

A place where brothers and sisters actually get along, and families get to experience that rare delight of simply being family...

There is a place where magic lives...

Welcome to Walt Disney World.

As all Disney park fans know, these words opened the 2002 Walt Disney World Vacation Planning video, and never before have words so perfectly described the feeling of being at Walt Disney World. If you ever had a dream, and had that dream come true, then you already know about the magic Walt Disney World provides its guests. It is a magic that dates as far back as the founding of the Walt Disney Studios. Walter Elias Disney was many things: an animator, an entertainer, a family man, a pioneer in movies, television and in the modern-day theme park. But above all else, Walt was the very definition of inspiration. Time after time, this man has inspired people to follow their dreams and shoot for the stars, no matter what the circumstances. To this day, thousands of people continue to be inspired by the legacy of Walt, particularly the legacy he left that is Disneyland.

walt-disney-disneyland.jpg

Perhaps the most audacious experiment in a career filled with audacious experiments, Walt Disney built this “happy place” in the hopes that it would create a whole new form of family entertainment. “Disneyland really began,” Walt said, “when my two daughters were very young. Saturday was always ‘Daddy’s Day’, and I would take them to the merry-go-round and sit on a bench eating peanuts while they rode. And sitting there, alone, I felt that there should be something built, some kind of a family park where parents and children could have fun together.”

And on July 17th, 1955, Disneyland opened its gates to the world, and welcomed its people into a place like any other amusement park. Disneyland was never meant to be just another “county fair” or traditional amusement park. Instead, guests found themselves immersed into a land of three-dimensional fantasy. It was - and remains - a place where the world of today was left in favor of yesterday and tomorrow, fantasy and adventure.

But, old Uncle Walt was always looking for ways to “plus” his craft. He had heard that only 5% of people east of the Mississippi River (75% of the country’s overall population at the time) came to Disneyland. Plus, he disliked how other businesses were springing up around Disneyland’s sprawling 10,000 acres (only 350 of which were used for the park), and wanted control of a much larger area of land. And so, in 1959, they began to look for land for a second theme park/resort to supplement its Californian brother. In November of 1963, Walt flew over the sleepy town of Orlando, Florida. Seeing the well-developed network of roads, including the planned Interstate 4 and Florida’s Turnpike, with McCoy Air Force Base (which would later become the Orlando International Airport) to the east, Disney selected a centrally located site near Bay Lake. Although they used fake company names in order to get cheaper prices on the land -- 30,500 acres of the stuff -- the news soon was made public, and on November 15th, 1965, Walt announced that Disney World was being built.

However, thirteen months after the announcement was made -- December 15th, 1966 -- Walt passed away from cancer. But his brother, Roy O. Disney, did not want to see his brother’s final dream fade away, so he deliberately postponed his retirement to oversee construction of the resort’s first phase. He even had the resort's name change from Disney World to Walt Disney World. In his own words: “Everyone has heard of Ford cars. But have they all heard of Henry Ford, who started it all? Walt Disney World is in memory of the man who started it all, so people will know his name as long as Walt Disney World is here.”

c0aca73224bffbe527d00b237ea56032.jpg

Although the resort opened on October 1, 1971, the resort’s official dedication would take place twenty-four days afterwards on October 25. On that day, all eyes turned to Town Square as Roy dedicated his brother’s final dream.

“Walt Disney World is a tribute to the philosophy and life of Walter Elias Disney... and to the talents, the dedication, and the loyalty of the entire Disney organization that made Walt Disney’s dream come true. May Walt Disney World bring Joy and Inspiration and New Knowledge to all who come to this happy place ... a Magic Kingdom where the young at heart of all ages can laugh and play and learn — together.”

— Roy O. Disney, October 25, 1971

colorful_photos_of_the_vacation_kingdom_03_1971_20120502_1289694758.jpg

When Walt Disney World first opened, the resort amenities were mainly set around the Seven Seas Lagoon, a 200-acre lake for real beaches and watersports, as well as the supplemental Bay Lake, which took up about 450 acres. The resort featured two hotels: the Contemporary Resort Hotel and the Polynesian Village Resort, a Monorail system and a Ferryboat system offering swift and efficient service between the various points of the resort, as well as two world-class golf courses: the Palm and the Magnolia. And if that wasn’t enough, the following November brought along the Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground, allowing guests the chance to authentically “rough it” out amid the wilds of Walt Disney World.

But far and away, there was one element of Walt Disney World that was considered to be its crown jewel: the Magic Kingdom.

tgmer00j8bty.jpg

Basically the East Coast equivalent of the original Disneyland, but on a much grander scale, the Magic Kingdom followed in the footsteps of its predecessor and paid strict attention to its two biggest considerations: maintaining the theming of each area and ensuring easy access. For decades, world’s fairs and amusement parks had been confusing “nightmares” of environmental design. Each show or pavilion competed for the visitor’s attention like billboards along a highway. But rather than competing, Disneyland’s five distinct areas would compliment each other and contribute to the overall experience. However, the Magic Kingdom would open not with five areas; but with six…

Main Street, U.S.A.
“Here is America at the turn-of-the-century, looking towards the promise of a future full of promise, discovery and liberty. For those of us who remember the carefree time it recreates, Main Street will bring back happy memories. For younger visitors, it is an adventure in turning back the calendar to the days of grandfather’s youth.”

Adventureland
“Here is adventure. Here is romance. Here is mystery. Tropical rivers - silently flowing into the unknown. Windswept tales of danger on the Seven Seas… Temples containing both treasure and curse... The unbelievable splendor of exotic flowers… The eerie sound of the jungle - with eyes that are always watching… This is Adventureland.”

Frontierland
“Here is the story of our country’s past. The Wild West is reborn in this cinematic portrayal of the American Frontier. The mythos of Pecos Bill and Davy Crockett establish the colorful drama and adventure of the Old West in the exciting days of the covered wagon and the stage coach. Frontierland is a tribute to the faith, courage and ingenuity of the pioneers who blazed the trails across America.”

Liberty Square
“Here is a time in history when a new nation was destined to be born. This is the time of George Washington and Thomas Jefferson, the time when colonists made known their intentions to rise up against tyranny, the time when freedom was on everyone’s minds. Liberty Square is based upon the spirit of America and the ideals of ‘life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.’”

Fantasyland
“Here is the world of imagination, hopes and dreams. In this timeless land of enchantment the age of chivalry, magic and make-believe are reborn and fairy tales come true. Fantasyland is dedicated to the young and the young at heart, to those who believe that when you wish upon a star your dreams do come true.”

Tomorrowland
“Here is the future that ‘never was’ - or could be. The past, present and future coexist among the kinetic towers, soaring spacecraft, and alien creatures of this galactic starport. Tomorrowland celebrates man’s quest through time to realize his fondest hopes and dreams for the future. Here, imagination gives birth to innovation. Here, ‘what man can conceive, man can achieve.’”

Over the course of its 50 years in operation, the Magic Kingdom has grown to include two more “lands,” both with their origin and style in the same fantasy and dedication that first built the original six.

Mickey’s Birthdayland / Starland / Toontown Fair
“Here is the land Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Goofy, Pluto and all their friends call ‘home.’ This is the place where all toons can feel at ease, where wackiness and adventure are just an everyday occurrence. Within this humble community is the chance to meet up with beloved friends and join them in their latest escapades. Mickey’s Birthdayland / Starland / Toontown Fair is truly a place for all those who still listen to their inner child.”

Hollywoodland
“Here is a rose-colored look back at Hollywood in its Golden Age. Hollywoodland celebrates the epicenter of movie-making not as a place, but as a state of mind. Here, in a world where illusion and reality are fused together by technological magic, anyone can be the next big thing. Above all else, Hollywoodland well and truly is ‘the Hollywood that never was...and always will be.’”

The former area has long since closed, having been swallowed up by an expanded Fantasyland, while the latter is still open, having opened on an expansion pad north of Frontierland. Within all seven lands are a host of unique attractions, dining, shopping and experiences unique only to Disney. The Magic Kingdom truly is Disney magic at its finest.

HomeImagineer

I wonder what could this third gate replaced the studios could be maybe still the animal park or maybe something else like DisneySEA as the fourth gate i guess, or maybe i'm guessing.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
Mirror Disneyland should have a second park called Disney-Warner Bros. Studios (just like other mirror Disneyland has Disney-Universal Studios park) Disney-Warner Bros. Studios will have attractions based on both Disney and Warner Bros. films and TV shows. Mickey Mouse and Bugs Bunny will be icons of theme park. By the way Mirror Magic Kingdom's Hollywoodland should have some Roger Rabbit rides (Baby Herman's Runaway Baby Buggy and Toontown Transit), Dick Tracy's Crimestoppers, Superstar Television, The Great Movie Ride, a mini Muppet Studios (Muppet Movie ride and MuppetVision 3D) and a few movie. Are you gonna have non-Disney characters such as WB, MGM, Paramount, Universal, etc appear in Toontown Transit simulator?

Last edited:

DisneyManOne

Original Poster
I wonder what could this third gate replaced the studios could be maybe still the animal park or maybe something else like DisneySEA as the fourth gate i guess, or maybe i'm guessing.
I have a question: didn’t you say something about Port Disney being in this universe or are you saving it for a future post?
EPCOT, Disney's Animal Kingdom and Port Disney will continue to be part of this project. With the loss of Disney-MGM Studios, Animal Kingdom becomes the third park and Port Disney becomes the fourth. However, as stated earlier, I won't go into too much detail on what changes they receive, as the only major changes coming to Port Disney are two new lands, EPCOT will receive only minor changes, and Animal Kingdom will largely go changeless.

Mirror Disneyland should have a second park called Disney-Warner Bros. Studios (just like other mirror Disneyland has Disney-Universal Studios park) Disney-Warner Bros. Studios will have attractions based on both Disney and Warner Bros. films and TV shows. Mickey Mouse and Bugs Bunny will be icons of theme park. By the way Mirror Magic Kingdom's Hollywoodland should have some Roger Rabbit rides (Baby Herman's Runaway Baby Buggy and Toontown Transit), Dick Tracy's Crimestoppers, Superstar Television, The Great Movie Ride, a mini Muppet Studios (Muppet Movie ride and MuppetVision 3D) and a few movie. Are you gonna have non-Disney characters such as WB, MGM, Paramount, Universal, etc appear in Toontown Transit simulator?
In Mirror Disneyland 2.0, the two parks, as @MANEATINGWREATH laid them out, are Disneyland and WestCOT...however, I admit, when I did my EPCOT posts, I claimed that I like to imagine @D Hulk's DisneySky would be built there. A studios park is nowhere to be found at Mirror Disneyland 2.0.

HomeImagineer

EPCOT, Disney's Animal Kingdom and Port Disney will continue to be part of this project. With the loss of Disney-MGM Studios, Animal Kingdom becomes the third park and Port Disney becomes the fourth. However, as stated earlier, I won't go into too much detail on what changes they receive, as the only major changes coming to Port Disney are two new lands, EPCOT will receive only minor changes, and Animal Kingdom will largely go changeless.

In Mirror Disneyland 2.0, the two parks, as @MANEATINGWREATH laid them out, are Disneyland and WestCOT...however, I admit, when I did my EPCOT posts, I claimed that I like to imagine @D Hulk's DisneySky would be built there. A studios park is nowhere to be found at Mirror Disneyland 2.0.
i feel like in my opinion the animal park could be still in the 90s but instead of 1998 i feel like its in the different year & Port Disney could be maybe in the early's 2000, just saying.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes

It could be a third theme park near by Warner Bros. Studios as Disney and WB could build a third theme park called Disney-Warner Bros. Studios to battle Universal Studios Hollywood.

DisneyManOne

Original Poster
i feel like in my opinion the animal park could be still in the 90s but instead of 1998 i feel like its in the different year & Port Disney could be maybe in the early's 2000, just saying.
I think DM1 will still keep Port Disney in 2021, it just makes sense opening at the 50th
Disney Pacifist is right. I will keep Animal Kingdom's opening date as April 22, 1998; and I'll explain why Port Disney opened in 2021 when I discuss its "history." The way I have things set up, I will discuss EPCOT's history next week, May 21; and then I shall discuss Animal Kingdom's history on May 28 and Port Disney's on June 4.

HomeImagineer

Disney Pacifist is right. I will keep Animal Kingdom's opening date as April 22, 1998; and I'll explain why Port Disney opened in 2021 when I discuss its "history." The way I have things set up, I will discuss EPCOT's history next week, May 21; and then I shall discuss Animal Kingdom's history on May 28 and Port Disney's on June 4.
OK Well maybe that will make sense, but just saying

DisneyManOne

Original Poster
One Little Spark

b199b445d9a661323cdac860d6ce208c.jpg

Even after Walt Disney World first opened, more and more new stuff was being developed -- not just within the Magic Kingdom, but all around the land surrounding the park. A year after the place first opened, Walt Disney World saw the arrival of another hotel, the Disney Village Resort, as well as another golf course: the Lake Buena Vista Golf Course. In fact, the golfing aspect of Walt Disney World was so popular, that Disney went so far as to build a fourth hotel right in-between the Palm & Magnolia Courses, aptly named the Golf Resort, which was later renamed “The Disney Inn.” If the name sounds unfamiliar, you may recognize it by its current name: Shades of Green. The resort got that name when the U.S. Department of Defense bought the resort in 1994, turning it into a place exclusively for former and current members of the U.S. Armed Forces.

W1siZiIsInVwbG9hZHMvcGxhY2VfaW1hZ2VzLzdlZjBjNDM4ZTQ3MTY0NmUxYV9EaXNjb3ZlcnkgSXNsYW5kIEFlcmlhbC5qcGciXSxbInAiLCJ0aHVtYiIsIngzOTA-Il0sWyJwIiwiY29udmVydCIsIi1xdWFsaXR5IDgxIC1hdXRvLW9yaWVudCJdXQ

But Disney, eager to play around with all the land they had at their disposal, wasn’t done just there. They were going to expand even further by adding more unique tourist attractions; the first of which was Discovery Island, which opened on April 8, 1974. Located on a centralized island in the middle of Bay Lake, Discovery Island was a wildlife sanctuary where guests could take a look at some of nature’s most fascinating creatures -- snakes, monkeys, swans, tortoises, alligators and a whole host of beautiful birds.

36a34440.jpg

But that’s not all: the people at Disney were positive that they would one day be able to achieve Walt’s biggest wish with this property: to build a fully-functioning city. You could say they started developing amenities for this city before they even built the city! Such was the case with the Lake Buena Vista Shopping Village, which opened on March 22, 1975. This was originally intended to be the city’s shopping area, but it ultimately turned into a shopping area for the guests of Walt Disney World. With views of the Disney Village Resort across the waterways, the Lake Buena Vista Shopping Village was meant to evoke a seaside New England harbor, with all sorts of wares and merchandise being ready for guests to purchase.

rivercountry_overview1976wdp.jpg

The next year brought along another big development: Walt Disney World’s first water park! That park was River Country, built just a stone’s throw away from Fort Wilderness, opening on July 20, 1976. And to describe the place … well, imagine if Tom Sawyer Island over at the Magic Kingdom was a water park. That’s basically River Country in a nutshell. In this down-home swimmin’ hole, guests could frolic and splash amid the natural beauty of Florida. The water for the main pool was directly connected to Bay Lake, in order to make for an authentic “swimmin’ hole” experience!

But despite all of Walt Disney World’s growth, the biggest growth of all was always set to be what Walt wanted the most…

1583365078822-png.453982

Walt Disney knew he would not see the completion of his “Florida Project” and that the job would be left to his brother Roy. Still, Walt would sit in his hospital bed at Saint Joseph’s Hospital in Burbank, across from his beloved Studio, and there, despite his condition, would plot and map the design of his new Florida property among the ceiling tiles of his hospital room. Although this project would contain an East Coast Disneyland in the Magic Kingdom, Walt’s biggest priority was for a little something he called “EPCOT.”

EPCOT was to be the heart of the Florida Project. The actual geographic center of the whole forty-three-square-mile destination was where the city was to be built (and where the EPCOT Center park was eventually placed). It would be known as E.P.C.O.T. -- the Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow. It was to be an ever-changing laboratory where the greatest minds could come together and solve the problems of the world as well as a community of nations that would serve as a showcase of harmony and goodwill. However, there were many downsides to this plan -- for example, no one could retire, the behavior of teenagers would be heavily monitored, and living in general would take a backseat to showcasing the latest technologies. Some feared that it would turn into something out of a dystopian nightmare! Needless to say, when Walt died, the plans for EPCOT were instantly put on the kibosh. While Walt’s visualized “Progress City” was never built, a spectacular scale model was, and still is, presented to guests as the post-show of Walt Disney’s Carousel of Progress at the Magic Kingdom.

In the late 1970s, Card Walker, then-CEO of the Walt Disney Company, wanted to revisit the EPCOT idea. Still, the executives were wary and agreed that Walt’s vision for EPCOT would not work in its initial design. Thus, a compromise was reached: The concept for EPCOT would be turned into a theme park called “EPCOT Center”, so named because the executives believed that if the park was a success, they could potentially build Walt’s city of the future around it -- thus, being the “Center” of EPCOT.

novdisneyland17067b.jpg

“To all who come to this place of joy, hope and friendship, welcome. EPCOT is inspired by Walt Disney’s creative vision. Here, human achievements are celebrated through imagination, wonders of enterprise and concepts of a future that promises new and exciting benefits for all. May EPCOT Center entertain, inform and inspire and above all, may it instill a new sense of belief and pride in man’s ability to shape a world that offers hope to people everywhere.”

— E. Cardon Walker, October 24, 1982

EPCOT is arguably the biggest and most lasting mark of the entire resort, an incredible celebration of our cultural diversity, humanity, future, and history. EPCOT, which opened on October 1, 1982, and was dedicated on October 24, tells the story of Earth’s greatest resource - its people. People from the past, present and future, and across the globe, are showcased in this tribute to our beloved planet and mankind’s achievements.

The park is made up of two distinct areas, each highlighting a different aspect of human experience, and altogether, the park boasts 28 pavilions. The magnificent, geodesic sphere of Spaceship Earth marks the entrance to Future World, highlighting the technological and natural wonders of our world. When EPCOT first opened, there were only six pavilions in Future World: Spaceship Earth, CommuniCore, Universe of Energy, World of Motion, Journey Into Imagination and The Land. In the nearly 40 years since, these six have been joined by Horizons, The Living Seas, Wonders of Life and Mission: SPACE, while Universe of Energy has been replaced by Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind and CommuniCore has been replaced entirely by a redesigned hub area.

Beyond this district, the path leads towards World Showcase, celebrating the many diverse cultures of our planet. When EPCOT opened, World Showcase represented nine nations: Mexico, China, Germany, Italy, the United States of America, Japan, France, the United Kingdom and Canada. These nine have since been joined by ten other nations: Morocco, Greece, Norway, Egypt, Australia, Jordan, India, Brazil, South Africa and Jamaica.

Through this park, we are able to see humanity at its best, and we are given new hope for the future.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I should point out that most of the EPCOT portion of this post came direct from @MANEATINGWREATH's introduction to his WestCOT, so credit to him on that.

Last edited:

DisneyManOne

Original Poster
Very interesting!
Thank you! I figured that, since I won't be going into detail on Mirror EPCOT-A -- again, I will only be covering the changes that will be made for this "Mirror-A" universe -- I might as well mention these pavilions by chronological opening date. These are the same nineteen pavilions that are part of the regular Mirror EPCOT. Here is a brief timeline going over each pavilion's opening.

Mexico, China, Germany, Italy, The American Adventure, Japan, France, United Kingdom and Canada: October 1, 1982
Morocco: September 7, 1984
Greece: March 25, 1986
Norway: May 6, 1988
Egypt: April 19, 1996
Australia: January 1, 2001
Jordan: May 25, 2003
India: August 25, 2003
Brazil: June 20, 2021
South Africa: July 1, 2021
Jamaica: August 1, 2021

Now, I must tell you that, within the context of Mirror EPCOT-A, Greece opens much earlier than its regular Mirror counterpart, and I shall explain why in the inevitable "Changes to EPCOT" post.

DisneyManOne

Original Poster
For this next part of our introduction, I borrowed a few portions from @MANEATINGWREATH's introduction to WestCOT from his recent Mirror Disneyland project. Likewise, this excellent article from Disney at Work, and the MickeyWiki served as a huge inspiration for this portion, as it really went into detail about what will be discussed here.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The Circle of Life Continues

VUCzWKQdqyIMdby2wmICTdue7OtSii2UdCJOY3iMBe0gwcqBfBObx9k9TBCBDm9_KY5uIG2_GNHcFBah52YH7d8mQrWEbPxkBwBZzfGi2sDaYY8NMenOn9_QmaHT03mDYQo8Hkf3

As the 1980s wore on, Disney saw a great shake-up. The 1970s were tumultuous years for Walt Disney Productions. Following Walt’s death in 1966, the “Mouse House” faced numerous challenges, including more than one hostile takeover attempt. When the smoke cleared, Disney emerged stronger than ever with friendly investors and a new management team: CEO Michael Eisner, Chairman Jeffrey Katzenberg and President Frank Wells, installed in 1984. In this same time, the Disney Parks faced a period of ambitious design and development. In addition to the Magic Kingdom and EPCOT Center, the company’s first international destination, Tokyo Disneyland, opened on April 15, 1983. Tokyo Disneyland would prove to be a major milestone for the company, laying the groundwork for an international expansion that would later continue into France and twice in China. It proved to Disney Management, including Eisner, that there was a considerable audience (and appetite) for the Disney name.

Eisner and Wells began a revitalization of the Disney name, and what followed the opening of Disney-Universal Studios at the Disneyland Resort in 1990 -- a park experiment even more audacious than EPCOT Center, combining the Imagineering forces of Disney with the innovative film creativity of Universal, whose original Studio Tour helped shape the park’s focus on the “behind-the-scenes”, as well as the idea of “riding the movies” -- would become the most ambitious project Imagineering had ever conceived: The Disney Decade. The ambitious project would broaden the Disney family of theme parks and hotels internationally and stateside, with such projects as Disneyland Paris and WestCOT coming to light. And naturally, it was also announced that Walt Disney World would be receiving a third park, as well. But what would that park be? Eisner did confirm that a new park was in development in 1990, but he refused to give any information as to what that park would entail.

Joe-Rhode-Animal-Kingdom.jpg

In 1989, in the wake of Disney-Universal Studios’ finishing development, Eisner challenged the Imagineers to come up with a unique concept for Walt Disney World’s third gate. Although the Imagineers came up with many concepts, the one that attracted Eisner’s attention the most was that of a park centered around animals. Hiring an Imagineer named Joe Rohde to lead the project, what followed was, perhaps, the most ambitious project in Walt Disney World history.

With the aid of Rick Barongi, a former official at the San Diego Zoo, Rohde and his team of Imagineers -- six of them, in fact: Zofia Kostyrko, Tony Marando, Patsy Tillisch, Christopher West, and two men both named Kevin Brown -- set out to create a new way people looked at zoos, blending the dense, immersive theming of a Disney theme park experience with the natural wonder of our planet’s flora and fauna. In 1990, the team took the first of six research trips to Africa, to get a sense of what they wanted to see in the park. In 1995, Rohde and Barongi would set up an advisory board to get further insight on how to look after the animals featured in the park; a decision spurred on by the failure that was Disney’s America, a project that practically went charging in without much input from legit experts and historians. It would prove to be a smart decision, as the animal experts would help make the park stronger.

ak+1.jpg

The same year, on June 21, the park’s theme and name were finally announced to the world. The park would be known as Disney’s Animal Kingdom, and would not just show guests unique animals, but bring them into their world. Guests would feel as if they were on a legitimate African wildlife reserve, or trekking through the Asian jungles. They would even get a glimpse of what animals were, and what animals could have been.

This dedication to detail was heavily looked upon. In order to create the most realistic animal exhibits possible, it was decided to plant all the plants in the park for two growing seasons before they brought the animals in -- a feat completed in spring of 1996, and the animals were brought in the following fall. And beyond construction, Disney was hiring zookeepers and managers for the new park, with Barongi’s aid, left and right.

After nearly a decade in development, and after three years of construction, Disney’s Animal Kingdom opened on -- fittingly enough -- Earth Day, April 22, 1998. Said Eisner of Animal Kingdom’s opening: “Whatever doubts we may once have had about the Animal Kingdom’s viability were answered on April 22, 1998, the day the park opened. The crowds were so large that we were forced to close our gates to further guests by 9:00 a.m. Over the next few months, attendance has exceeded every expectation, and the ratings from guests are the highest we’ve received for any park in our history. In a way, the Animal Kingdom takes us full circle. Thirty years ago, all you could find on our Orlando property were vast herds of grazing animals and some rather intimidating reptiles. Today, after billions of dollars in investment, we have unveiled our most original theme park concept yet: vast herds of grazing animals and some rather intimidating reptiles.”

gak285013LARGE.jpg

“Welcome to a kingdom of animals... real, ancient, and imagined: a kingdom ruled by lions, dinosaurs, and dragons; a kingdom of balance, harmony, and survival; a kingdom we enter to share in the wonder, gaze at the beauty, thrill at the drama, and learn.”

— Michael D. Eisner, April 22, 1998

From The Oasis and Safari Village (later renamed Discovery Island), paths lead towards four different areas. To the southwest, Beastly Kingdom, a land devoted to the animals of myth, as well as the animals of Europe. To the northwest, the rolling plains of Africa, with train access to the Conservation Station, an area devoted to efforts to maintain our environment and animal care. To the northeast, the dense jungles of Asia. And to the southeast, Dinoland, U.S.A., a land devoted to the prehistoric beasts of yore, themed around an archaeological dig site. Later expansions would bring guests into the majestic Outback of Australia, into the verdant forests of North America, and into the dazzling rainforests of South America. With all that said, it’s clear that Disney’s Animal Kingdom is filled with adventure just waiting to be discovered.

DisneyManOne

Original Poster
The 50th Approaches

Map_WDW_Resort.jpg

Beyond the development and construction of Disney’s Animal Kingdom, there were more new developments being planned all throughout the resort. Walt Disney World Village received a new neighbor, Pleasure Island, and both were later combined into Downtown Disney alongside a new area, the West Side; two new water parks were built -- Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach; a new theater and expo center, the Tower of Light, opened; and dozens of new hotels were springing up. However, in the wake of Animal Kingdom’s grand opening, the expansion boom wore off. It seemed as though there was nowhere else to expand. In the early 2000s, the two most notable non-park additions were two more resorts: Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge and the DVC-exclusive Disney’s Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa, which opened the space formerly held by the Disney Institute; and likewise, beyond the multiple new additions to the theme parks, the only major update was the rebranding of Downtown Disney to Disney Springs in 2015.

Then again, given the boom, it was highly understandable to see why Disney left the American parks alone for a while. Both Disneyland and Walt Disney World had three parks under their belt and a vast wealth of other unique experiences to guarantee a week-long stay. Therefore, for most of the new millennium, the new park openings were all international. In 2001, Tokyo DisneySea opened, followed by Disney Studios Paris in 2002, Hong Kong Disneyland in 2005, Hong Kong DisneySea in 2015 and Shanghai Disneyland just one year later. However, as Walt Disney World drew closer and closer to its 50th anniversary, it was decided to mark the occasion in one big way.

In the wake of the roaring success that was the Lake Buena Vista Shopping Village, Disney started setting aside the land east of the Village, and even buying new land nearby, to create another park. If the Shopping Village could draw such big crowds over towards the eastern side of Walt Disney World, just imagine what a whole theme park could do! A monorail extension was even being built to take guests directly to the Village, so it could pull triple-duty as a station for both the Shopping Village, the Village Resort and the new park!

However, the ideas for what this “Eastern Park Concept” would entail would never make it past development, as work soon began on EPCOT Center, which, by that time, had fully transformed from a city of the future to the World’s Fair we know and love today. And of course, further complicating things was the subsequent decision to build Disney’s Animal Kingdom on the western side of the resort. As time wore on, and the 2000s came and went, it was rumored that Disney had ultimately given up on the “Eastern Park Concept.” With three massive, elaborate parks to spare, making a fourth just seemed redundant.

Tokyo-DisneySea-Opens-September-4-1180w-600h-780x440-1439944930.jpg

Tokyo DisneySea opened on September 4, 2001, and was an instant smash hit. Disney Parks fans all around the world praised the park for its attention to detail, its adventurous atmosphere and its epic new attractions! For many years, rumors flew through the Disney community that Disney wanted to build a supplemental DisneySea, particularly one for America. Remember, the first concept for what would become Tokyo DisneySea dates back to the Port Disney concept devised for Long Beach in California. Eventually, a second DisneySea was built...although not in America.

Blog%2B-%2BHKDS%2BChina%2B6.png

Fourteen years after Tokyo DisneySea opened, Hong Kong DisneySea opened as part of Hong Kong Disneyland’s tenth anniversary celebration -- in fact, it opened on September 12, 2015, exactly ten years to the day after the resort first opened its gates! Upon its opening, the park received reviews just as strong as the Tokyo original, and was seen as a massive building block in helping bring the fledgling resort from the Eisner-era misfire it opened as into a legitimate contender in the theme park world! Furthermore, Hong Kong DisneySea was also built to see if it would be a success to build a new park in the mold of the Tokyo original; much like how WestCOT had the reputation of its elder brother to live up to. And for the most part, it was! With the deliberate exception of Mermaid Lagoon, all the lands of Hong Kong DisneySea -- TianChao Harbor, Star Wars: Ocean Moon Outpost, Buccaneer Bay and Bengal Coast -- were entirely original.

Following the success of Hong Kong DisneySea, Disney decided to, at long last, return to the “Eastern Park Concept” and produce yet another DisneySea park. And thus, at the 2017 D23 Expo, Disney Parks Chairman, and future CEO, Tom Staggs announced that Walt Disney World was, at long last, going to get a fourth theme park!

Although this new park was going to be another DisneySea-style park, it was decided that “DisneySea Florida” was not that strong a name. Hence, they decided to return to the concept that started it all and named this new park “Port Disney.” And although the park would involve a few favorites from Tokyo DisneySea and Hong Kong DisneySea making their American debuts, the majority was going to be entirely new ports of call, or otherwise new twists on existing areas.

20140428_disneysea.jpg

“To all who come seeking adventure, welcome. Port Disney imbues all who enter with a spirit of curiosity and excitement. Here, all are invited to set sail for mysterious and exciting ports of call; lands of adventure, intrigue and romance. Port Disney is dedicated to all those who yearn to venture outside their comfort zone, and explore the unknown. May your adventures here be adventures worth remembering for years to come.”

— Thomas O. Staggs, September 4, 2021

Exactly twenty years to the day after the original Tokyo park opened, Port Disney became Walt Disney World’s fourth theme park. An American cousin to Tokyo DisneySea and Hong Kong DisneySea, Port Disney is the place where the exotic ports of call we can only read about or see on the silver screen come to life. Guests to Port Disney enter through Novus Harbor, an inviting seaport featuring design influences from around the globe; courtesy of the current tenants of the harbor, S.E.A. -- the Society of Explorers and Adventurers. From there, the path leads to six other ports of call. New York Waterfront transports guests to the Big Apple at the time of the 1930s, the age of the Great Depression and what would inspire the film noir...not to mention gangsters. The spirit of adventure lives on in Discovery Bay, set around San Francisco in the days of the Gold Rush. The mysterious and mythical Agrabah brings the wonder of Aladdin to life. At Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, the thrills and action of George Lucas’ epic, sci-fi saga bring a sense of heroism to the park. New Orleans Bayou transports guests to the mysterious swamps of the American South, to the age of steamboats and swinging jazz. Pirates’ Cove brings to life the Golden Age of Piracy, inviting one and all to try their hand at buccaneering. These disparate epochs are united by Mt. Prometheus, a massive volcano serving as the park’s central icon and the -- no pun intended-- “peak” of Port Disney’s artistry. Mt. Prometheus is one of the largest monuments in all the resort. It is 189 feet tall, the same height as Cinderella Castle at the Magic Kingdom.

As it stands today, Walt Disney World includes four theme parks, three water parks, an entertainment district, an island-based recreation area, a theater and expo center, six golf courses, two miniature golf courses, all sorts of other sports and recreation options, and sixteen resort hotels. It’s not for nothing that this place has become one of the most popular tourist destinations of all time! Today, Walt Disney World continues the legacy of Walt’s dream, bringing joy and laughter into the hearts of those who wish to unlock its magic. Here we find acres upon acres of vacation paradise, where endless enjoyment, fascination, illumination and a lifetime of happy memories are less than a dream away.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Well, I am glad to say that as of this post, future posts will actually describe the amenities of Mirror Walt Disney World-A! The history portion is finally over! Join me next week, June 11, as I give you a tour of the first of the Two Hubs of Walt Disney World.

Also, I would like to note that I included a line from @D Hulk's DisneySky dedication into my Port Disney dedication, as a nod to his park, which served as a huge inspiration for Port Disney; so credit on that count goes to him!

Last edited:

HomeImagineer

The 50th Approaches

Map_WDW_Resort.jpg

Beyond the development and construction of Disney’s Animal Kingdom, there were more new developments being planned all throughout the resort. Walt Disney World Village received a new neighbor, Pleasure Island, and both were later combined into Downtown Disney alongside a new area, the West Side; two new water parks were built -- Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach; a new theater and expo center, the Tower of Light, opened; and dozens of new hotels were springing up. However, in the wake of Animal Kingdom’s grand opening, the expansion boom wore off. It seemed as though there was nowhere else to expand. In the early 2000s, the two most notable non-park additions were two more resorts: Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge and the DVC-exclusive Disney’s Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa, which opened the space formerly held by the Disney Institute; and likewise, beyond the multiple new additions to the theme parks, the only major update was the rebranding of Downtown Disney to Disney Springs in 2015.

Then again, given the boom, it was highly understandable to see why Disney left the American parks alone for a while. Both Disneyland and Walt Disney World had three parks under their belt and a vast wealth of other unique experiences to guarantee a week-long stay. Therefore, for most of the new millennium, the new park openings were all international. In 2001, Tokyo DisneySea opened, followed by Disney Studios Paris in 2002, Hong Kong Disneyland in 2005, Hong Kong DisneySea in 2015 and Shanghai Disneyland just one year later. However, as Walt Disney World drew closer and closer to its 50th anniversary, it was decided to mark the occasion in one big way.

In the wake of the roaring success that was the Lake Buena Vista Shopping Village, Disney started setting aside the land west of the Village, and even buying new land nearby, to create another park. If the Shopping Village could draw such big crowds over towards the eastern side of Walt Disney World, just imagine what a whole theme park could do! A monorail extension was even being built to take guests directly to the Village, so it could pull triple-duty as a station for both the Shopping Village, the Village Resort and the new park!

However, the ideas for what this “Eastern Park Concept” would entail would never make it past development, as work soon began on EPCOT Center, which, by that time, had fully transformed from a city of the future to the World’s Fair we know and love today. And of course, further complicating things was the subsequent decision to build Disney’s Animal Kingdom on the western side of the resort. As time wore on, and the 2000s came and went, it was rumored that Disney had ultimately given up on the “Eastern Park Concept.” With three massive, elaborate parks to spare, making a fourth just seemed redundant.

Tokyo-DisneySea-Opens-September-4-1180w-600h-780x440-1439944930.jpg

Tokyo DisneySea opened on September 4, 2001, and was an instant smash hit. Disney Parks fans all around the world praised the park for its attention to detail, its adventurous atmosphere and its epic new attractions! For many years, rumors flew through the Disney community that Disney wanted to build a supplemental DisneySea, particularly one for America. Remember, the first concept for what would become Tokyo DisneySea dates back to the Port Disney concept devised for Long Beach in California. Eventually, a second DisneySea was built...although not in America.

Blog%2B-%2BHKDS%2BChina%2B6.png

Fourteen years after Tokyo DisneySea opened, Hong Kong DisneySea opened as part of Hong Kong Disneyland’s tenth anniversary celebration -- in fact, it opened on September 12, 2015, exactly ten years to the day after the resort first opened its gates! Upon its opening, the park received reviews just as strong as the Tokyo original, and was seen as a massive building block in helping bring the fledgling resort from the Eisner-era misfire it opened as into a legitimate contender in the theme park world! Furthermore, Hong Kong DisneySea was also built to see if it would be a success to build a new park in the mold of the Tokyo original; much like how WestCOT had the reputation of its elder brother to live up to. And for the most part, it was! With the deliberate exception of Mermaid Lagoon, all the lands of Hong Kong DisneySea -- TianChao Harbor, Star Wars: Ocean Moon Outpost, Buccaneer Bay and Bengal Coast -- were entirely original.

Following the success of Hong Kong DisneySea, Disney decided to, at long last, return to the “Eastern Park Concept” and produce yet another DisneySea park. And thus, at the 2017 D23 Expo, Disney Parks Chairman, and future CEO, Tom Staggs announced that Walt Disney World was, at long last, going to get a fourth theme park!

Although this new park was going to be another DisneySea-style park, it was decided that “DisneySea Florida” was not that strong a name. Hence, they decided to return to the concept that started it all and named this new park “Port Disney.” And although the park would involve a few favorites from Tokyo DisneySea and Hong Kong DisneySea making their American debuts, the majority was going to be entirely new ports of call, or otherwise new twists on existing areas.

20140428_disneysea.jpg

“To all who come seeking adventure, welcome. Port Disney imbues all who enter with a spirit of curiosity and excitement. Here, all are invited to set sail for mysterious and exciting ports of call; lands of adventure, intrigue and romance. Port Disney is dedicated to all those who yearn to venture outside their comfort zone, and explore the unknown. May your adventures here be adventures worth remembering for years to come.”

— Thomas O. Staggs, September 4, 2021

Exactly twenty years to the day after the original Tokyo park opened, Port Disney became Walt Disney World’s fourth theme park. An American cousin to Tokyo DisneySea and Hong Kong DisneySea, Port Disney is the place where the exotic ports of call we can only read about or see on the silver screen come to life. Guests to Port Disney enter through Novus Harbor, an inviting seaport featuring design influences from around the globe; courtesy of the current tenants of the harbor, S.E.A. -- the Society of Explorers and Adventurers. From there, the path leads to six other ports of call. New York Waterfront transports guests to the Big Apple at the time of the 1930s, the age of the Great Depression and what would inspire the film noir...not to mention gangsters. The spirit of adventure lives on in Discovery Bay, set around San Francisco in the days of the Gold Rush. The mysterious and mythical Agrabah brings the wonder of Aladdin to life. At Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, the thrills and action of George Lucas’ epic, sci-fi saga bring a sense of heroism to the park. New Orleans Bayou transports guests to the mysterious swamps of the American South, to the age of steamboats and swinging jazz. Pirates’ Cove brings to life the Golden Age of Piracy, inviting one and all to try their hand at buccaneering. These disparate epochs are united by Mt. Prometheus, a massive volcano serving as the park’s central icon and the -- no pun intended-- “peak” of Port Disney’s artistry. Mt. Prometheus is one of the largest monuments in all the resort. It is 189 feet tall, the same height as Cinderella Castle at the Magic Kingdom.

As it stands today, Walt Disney World includes four theme parks, three water parks, an entertainment district, an island-based recreation area, a theater and expo center, four golf courses, two miniature golf courses, all sorts of other sports and recreation options, and sixteen resort hotels. It’s not for nothing that this place has become one of the most popular tourist destinations of all time! Today, Walt Disney World continues the legacy of Walt’s dream, bringing joy and laughter into the hearts of those who wish to unlock its magic. Here we find acres upon acres of vacation paradise, where endless enjoyment, fascination, illumination and a lifetime of happy memories are less than a dream away.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Well, I am glad to say that as of this post, future posts will actually describe the amenities of Mirror Walt Disney World-A! The history portion is finally over! Join me next week, June 11, as I give you a tour of the first of the Two Hubs of Walt Disney World.

Also, I would like to note that I included a line from @D Hulk's DisneySky dedication into my Port Disney dedication, as a nod to his park, which served as a huge inspiration for Port Disney; so credit on that count goes to him!

Love that idea of Port Disney that we all wish to see it in Florida for years

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom