Mirror EPCOT Center

The Rocketeer

Original Poster
Mirror EPCOT Center
IMG_2588.JPG

“To all who come to this place of joy, hope and friendship, welcome. EPCOT is inspired by Walt Disney’s creative genius. Here, human achievements are celebrated through imagination, the wonders of enterprise, and concepts of a future that promises new and exciting benefits for all. May EPCOT Center entertain, inform and inspire. And, above all, may it instill a new sense of belief and pride in man’s ability to shape a world that offers hope to people everywhere.”
– E. Card Walker

16777268-16777268.jpg

Welcome to Mirror Epcot Center! Inspired by @DisneyManOne Mirror WDW 3.0 thread, this is my take on an alternate universe EPCOT, an EPCOT that evolves very differently from the park we know today. In this mirror universe the Walt Disney Company finds slightly better success after Walt’s passing and their experimental films of the late 70’s and early 80’s such as The Black Hole and Tron are huge blockbusters and they can invest into the park more on a grander scale, but without ever having the threat of a hostile takeover in the early 1980s, which means Michael Eisner and Frank Wells never join the company in 1984, which in turn means Bob Iger and Bob Chapek do not either.

The Scientist Who Inspired The Name of Epcot's 'Spaceship Earth' | Disney  Parks Blog

Marty Sklar and the Imagineers decided to postpone any plans for an actual E.P.C.O.T. city until well after the park is opened, if ever, fearing it would be too large an undertaking. Without the direction of Walt or Roy, they really did not know where to begin so the idea of a permanent world’s fair was born. Initially the ideas of World Showcase and Future World were going to be two separate parks, then the two ideas merged (like in the real world), but as they started to see more profit on the movie side of things, the Walt Disney Company decided to go for a much grander plan for phase 2 of the Florida project and moved forward with the two “half-day park” ideas.

Untitled_Artwork 4.jpg
IMG_2589.JPG

The Imagineers create an almost hourglass footprint of these two parks back-to-back with each other with a hotel splitting the two down the middle, acting as a grand gate between the promise of tomorrow and the celebration of cultures of the past and present around our spaceship called earth that we all share. The entire complex is called EPCOT Center which encompasses EPCOT, the Disney’s Global Gateway Resort hotel, and World Showcase Park.

spaceship-earth-new-exit-concept-art-d23-epcot.jpg

Welcome to the 21st Century!
-
Over the next few weeks I will go over my ideas, uploading once every few days, starting with going through each pavilion in EPCOT (aka Future World), which will be encompass a total of 14 pavilions/experiences! After that we will go over the other park and hotel. The whole concept I'm going for in this Mirror universe is that Disney never gives up on the Edutainment (education through entertainment) mission of EPCOT, so no IP other than Figment and Dreamfinder, at least in this park.

I will be mixing in official Disney concept art, historical photos, as well as my own graphics and edited or created logos. I'm going to make a general timeline too!

The Rocketeer

Original Poster
EPCOT
(Park)

IMG_2608.JPG

Mark VIII monorails zoom past above. A glistening silver sphere pulls guests in from the expansive parking lot. A large crowd gathers at the turnstiles while music that can only be described as epic and nostalgic plays over the loudspeaker. This can mean one thing: we are at Walt Disney World’s second gate: EPCOT!

IMG_2611.JPG

A whole assembly of cast members take their stage for the show, ready to welcome thousands of visitors to learn, discover, and enjoy this 21st century permanent world’s fair; a place of robot butlers, purple dragons, digital raceways, adventures in outer space and so much more! It is time for rope drop.

“Good morning ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, dreamers of all ages! All of us at EPCOT are glad to have you as our guests today, we welcome you and hope your day with us to be a most enjoyable one. Walt Disney too was a dreamer and a doer, a man who cared deeply about our world and its problems. He believed that people could develop solutions to those problems if equipped with information, technology, and opportunity. Back in 1982, EPCOT was created to showcase prototype concepts and technologies that would soon serve people everywhere. Today we continue this mission as our park evolves. This is the essence of EPCOT, a collective endeavor by people, for people, in the hope of a better world for all. For all of us in the Disney family, we hope you enjoy your stay. Now we ask you for your safety and those around you that you walk carefully to your first destination. Have a great day and welcome to the future!”

IMG_2612.JPG

Walking through the entrance gardens, guests pass Future World Fountain with three transparent pylons with the logo of the park stamped on each of them. Looming right behind it is the park’s icon, Spaceship Earth. This geodesic sphere houses the signature attraction of the park which goes by the same name.

Originally opening on October 1st, 1982 with the park, this attraction has seen a variety of different changes including five different narrators: Lawrence Dobkin, news legend Walter Cronkite, actor Jeremy Irons, actress Dame Judi Dench and, as of April 2020, Sir Patrick Stewart. The April 2020 refurbishment added a new scene reflecting on the rise of the cellular phone and smart technologies, like the garage scene added in 2008. A new finale scene was added with a new rendition of a classic song, Tomorrow’s Child, which was featured in the attraction during the late 1980’s and early 1990’s. As guests begin to descend backwards, they see a spaceship above them. As they continue to crest downward a fiber optic nature incorporated cityscape diorama appears to their right, it is then when the screens on their time machine vehicle turn on and the song begins, showing images of diverse families across the world. A brand-new attraction score was composed by Thomas Newman, the composer of Disney/Pixar’s Finding Nemo, Finding Dory, and Wall-E, as well as an orchestral arrangement of Tomorrow’s Child.

IMG_2613.jpg

As guests exit their time vehicle they enter the Global Neighborhood post show hosted by the attraction’s sponsor, Verizon Wireless.
Here children can play interactive games while a domed screen shows the different regions visited on the attraction and communication technology invented in their respective countries.

Next is the park’s only Starbucks location, which is directly behind Spaceship Earth, called Future Flavors. It is a small oval shaped shop surrounded by trees and topiaries and mirrors the oval shape of the Global Neighborhood building. This is a relatively new addition to the park, added in 2014. There is no seating in the interior, encouraging guests to sit on benches, which are plentiful outside and promote a true park atmosphere. Guests might hear the clicking and clacking of linear induction motors of the WEDway Peoplemover in the close distance. Nearby there may be occasional meet and greets from Goofy, Chip, Dale, and Pluto in their iridescent space suits or living statues might be around. Guest may even be lucky to encounter the JAMMitors or the Future Corps marching band, which play in several locations around the park Including on EPCOT East Side and CommuniCore plaza. Dr. Bunson Honeydew and his assistant, Beaker, roam around too with the Muppet Mobile Lab appearing every day at 11 AM and 4:30 PM.

IMG_2600.JPG

IMG_2615.JPG
Screen-Shot-2020-04-06-at-9.13.13-AM-550x335.png

----

That's it for today. Sorry it took so long to upload, I was at WDW from the 1st-6th and got too busy and didn't get around to posting this before I left. I will have the next part up either tomorrow or Friday and we will go over my ideas and mirror history for CommuniCore!

Last edited:

The Rocketeer

Original Poster
IMG_2609.JPG

Just for fun, here is a ROUGH sketch for my version of an updated monorail, MK VIII as I mentioned above. I thought It would be cool to have huge glass doors letting in as much light as possible. It would be a cleaning nightmare though. I personally prefer the white monorail with colored stripes look compared to Disneyland's all color monorail design, though that is equally iconic.​

The Rocketeer

Original Poster
Hey Friends,

So my computer crashed and with it was all the progress I had been making on this project, I basically lost everything so I will not be continuing this thread right now.

Thanks for following along with part of it though! I'd like to try another dream armchair imagineering park again in the future when I'm better prepared and have more time

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
Hey Friends,

So my computer crashed and with it was all the progress I had been making on this project, I basically lost everything so I will not be continuing this thread right now.

Thanks for following along with part of it though! I'd like to try another dream armchair imagineering park again in the future when I'm better prepared and have more time
Disney-MGM Studios next? I want to see Roger Rabbit's Hollywood, Dick Tracy's Crimestoppers as other planned attractions like Mickey's Movieland and Muppet Studios to be added.

The Rocketeer

Original Poster
Disney-MGM Studios next? I want to see Roger Rabbit's Hollywood, Dick Tracy's Crimestoppers as other planned attractions like Mickey's Movieland and Muppet Studios to be added.
Sounds like a Plan! I'll get started on it tomorrow. MGM was always my favorite park as a kid.

HomeImagineer

Hey Friends,

ok & hey thats ok bud, i won't mind at all, i heard ur working on something else than Epcot

The Rocketeer

Original Poster
Here is the map idea for the park:
I love S.W. Wilson's buildouts. I like the idea of Roger Rabbit's Hollywood being on the left side of the park especially. My park map, which I'm working on now, is more in the style of Parklore's, more simplistic. I've already finished Hollywood Blvd, Muppets Studios, and part of Sunset Blvd, which is either going to transition into Roger Rabbit or a different IP, probably Rocketeer. I am not sure. I definitely want Roger in the park though. I also made a new logo for the park similar to the 2008 Hollywood Studios logo, but the name will still be MGM. I will start a thread once it's all done. Hopefully soon, but idk when with school and work, I do drawing in my free time.

I know I don't want Toy Story or Galaxy's Edge in it. I like those lands IRL, but I wish the park was still like It used to be with the backlot tour.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
I love S.W. Wilson's buildouts. I like the idea of Roger Rabbit's Hollywood being on the left side of the park especially. My park map, which I'm working on now, is more in the style of Parklore's, more simplistic. I've already finished Hollywood Blvd, Muppets Studios, and part of Sunset Blvd, which is either going to transition into Roger Rabbit or a different IP, probably Rocketeer. I am not sure. I definitely want Roger in the park though. I also made a new logo for the park similar to the 2008 Hollywood Studios logo, but the name will still be MGM. I will start a thread once it's all done. Hopefully soon, but idk when with school and work, I do drawing in my free time.

I know I don't want Toy Story or Galaxy's Edge in it. I like those lands IRL, but I wish the park was still like It used to be with the backlot tour.
What Roger Rabbit's Hollywood will gonna have attractions, shopping, restaurants, entertainment and meet & greets?
Roger Rabbit is perfect fit for MGM Studios park.

HomeImagineer

Yes, i always want to see The Rocketeer in this park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom