Mirror Disneyland: One Final Edition (Seriously)

DisneyManOne

I'll admit, I'm glad that Frozen Ever After still exists as its own unique attraction here. I wasn't really that much impressed with Anna and Elsa's Frozen Journey at Tokyo DisneySea. To me, that ride exemplified the same problems I have with Ariel's Undersea Adventure and Enchanted Tale of Beauty and the Beast -- focusing mainly on the music and not so much on the story; especially in regards to the climax, which always appears to be rushed.

Ariel's Undersea Adventure just focused on Ariel and Eric's kiss, while Ursula's defeat was in the background; Enchanted Tale focused on the transformation, and just left us with two brief vignettes of the Objects fighting off the villagers; and Anna and Elsa's Frozen Journey just jumped straight from "Let it Go" to Anna sacrificing herself to save Elsa.

I really like the story you crafted for Frozen Ever After, and I like how it reuses a lot of the elements from Enchanted Snow Palace; bringing those elements into the lore of Frozen. It's a nice way to bridge the gap between the old and the new.

WaltWiz1901

I really like the story you crafted for Frozen Ever After, and I like how it reuses a lot of the elements from Enchanted Snow Palace; bringing those elements into the lore of Frozen. It's a nice way to bridge the gap between the old and the new.
I actually think it tops both of the IRL Frozen rides' stories - and that's only going off of what equates to a brief summary!

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
AD_4nXesWHF7TceJuc4veQEWrBnCK561opebFWmFELi1eARNVZi0ZG96irK-DXVkk6dujiYmWGcyd2y_EujCszKSG1PZr0PEgfzlc_F2_4uG_eSYC2uO3Slu5g-q6DkmpNuFslbw5PMBf64KXybZCYIWOgKAa1W9

Dumbo the Flying Elephant opened at Disneyland on August 16, 1955, almost a month to the day of Disneyland’s official opening, and was an instant success with children and families. Believe it or not, something Opening Day visitors didn’t see was an elephant fly! In 1957, a figure of Timothy Q. Mouse, crafted by animator-turned-sculptor Blaine Gibson, was added to the center ring, and in 1971, it was decided that the attraction’s popularity had outgrown its 10 elephants and location in the castle courtyard.

On September 22, 1979, Small World Plaza welcomed a new neighbor.

Dumbo’s Circusland was inspired by the 1941 classic animated film Dumbo, and was designed for those handful of Disney performers considered too odd or “animal” to fit in with the rest of Fantasyland. Here sideshow banners and soaring balloons herald a number of spectacle attractions, including Dumbo the Flying Elephant and the Casey Jr. Circus Train. Others hint at attractions we never see, like “The Reluctant Dragon: Fire-Eater” and “Lambert the Sheepish Lion: Man-Eater.” Animals have left behind their various footprints in the sand-colored pavement; there are even peanut shells from hungry elephants.

“Leave the world of today and travel back in time to the turn-of-the-twentieth century and the ultimate circus with a Disney twist. The buildings and sights here reflect the lively, wide-ranging Victorian styles of the day; electric lights, only recently invented at the time, blaze in profusion; Disney Characters interpreted in the unique pictorial language of the early 1900s are used throughout; design and story elements bring the Disney touch to the world of the sideshow and three-ring spectacle.”

AD_4nXekPgOsO2Knoi1gEtGT8-rhFkRlPVqG6WVTzDZEB_Q6jQr5ePdB9VvIMvH3g3uQrSCpAsnG8l1MELB45qiT8zIdnEmWvo5W8vQ8meoGa5pCEffdTY6rU46X9yXNUJHhRJJdcT6sivM2tOkH8kBLXsiTL_0

Imagineer Tony Baxter designed Dumbo’s Circusland in conjunction with his unrealized Discovery Bay project, an exciting Jules Verne-themed extension to Frontierland. Baxter envisioned the lands to the northwest of Disneyland, with the two connected through an unbuilt Skyway attraction called the Western Balloon Ascent. The Balloon Ascent and Discovery Bay were not built, but Circusland was.

Dumbo the Flying Elephant, since 1979 located on an elevated platform found in the heart of Circusland, has withstood the tests of time, today an adored tradition to revisit for many; the quintessential Disney Parks experience. There is an undeniable tug at the heartstrings of all ages who seem to gravitate toward the lofty, art deco perch of this ornate, flying carousel. Due to its continued popularity, the attraction was moved and expanded from its original home in the castle courtyard to the new Circusland in 1979, and today has 16 elephants instead of the original 10.

AD_4nXf_dHlieyYIIdmHs2HDOaDJv41r7pSDlVl9hi7D6Zp2dBmm0tdBC9h-DassqEugS8uWEBQhHzdXjWAoLeZytGvgJrPLhZDNJMR1ld4cNq1QD_CF5TT-VelPxQ80Bx4_LJEoGl3gMhfqSy2CRG6UuyCW99Q

The Casey Jr. Circus Train rerouted and received its one and only station stop here in Circusland, while the former Fantasyland Train Station became the ornately themed Carolwood Park Station, so named for Walt Disney’s backyard railroad, the “Carolwood Pacific,” a brick station reminiscent to what one would have found when the circus train came to town in the American South circa 1941, and named for Carolwood Park, the fictitious home of Circusland. While Casey Jr. runs the rails of the neighboring Storybook Land and Castle Village hillside, the Casey Sr. Splash ‘N’ Soak has set up a permanent stop here in the Circusland proper, so named for Casey Jr.’s rusted old papa with a bushy white mustache and cracked spectacles. Casey Sr. billows refreshing “steam,” while circus animals in the attached train cars - including monkeys, elephants, hippos, giraffes and camels - spray and splash their visitors with water.

There’s a fountain themed to “Pink Elephants on Parade” in the center of the entrance to Circusland, the famous Clown Restaurant on the left, and Mickey’s Madcap Circus on the right. The Clown Restaurant is themed to the backstage dressing rooms and prop storage of the clowns from Dumbo, serving up traditional circus treats and carnival fare, cream pies and all, while Mickey’s Madcap Circus stands as the first ever ride-through attraction built for Mickey Mouse. An idea that began as a wild mouse coaster and a dark ride-hybrid themed to classic Mickey Mouse shorts of the ‘20s and ‘30s, the concept evolved from “Mickey’s Madhouse” into “Mickey’s Madcap Circus,” with loose inspiration from the 1936 animated short Mickey’s Circus. The ideas first conceived for Mickey’s Madhouse were combined with elements from another planned attraction called “Circus Disney,” and the show, as they say, went on.

AD_4nXfq_JbSi1OW8YYinVY3gyzPLxGErw-vmZ_VqA75JeGUTWQypeYANd2D-AApmN8uvohVy-_GgZl8JC63bcZWPozihnInVVNNCCNAhebarWRkUDdaAlNQaKdrs-fMT-ZthBAIQtinR6yxbLBF0ZUQBKiAXwYU

The Disneyland News described Mickey’s Madcap Circus as an attraction that “highlights Dumbo’s Cicusland,’ a major ride-through attraction featuring a myriad of favorite Disney characters, all brought to life through the ‘Audio-Animatronics’ process. Guests will travel through the wild animal menagerie (featuring King Louie and Shere Khan from ‘The Jungle Book’) down the midway where familiar Disney stars may be seen in the sideshow, like 'The Amazing Flying Dumbo - Ninth Wonder of the World,’ through clown alley and finally into the Big Top where they will actually be 'on-stage’ as part of a three-ring show featuring such daredevil acts as 'The Flying Goofys.’”

Mickey’s Madcap Circus is a wild mouse coaster and dark ride-hybrid through a circus run by Ringmaster Mickey, assisted by Sea Lion Tamer extraordinaire Donald Duck. The antics in store are too large for the counting in this high-speed adventure through a three-ring big top. Boarding an ornate circus caravan, we search for a mischievous baby sea lion on the lam from Donald’s scheduled performance, along the way following Mickey and Donald as they, like us, search for the baby sea lion and careen through comical obstacles and sideshow acts, like cages home to untamed man-eaters (such as Lambert the Sheepish Lion), beneath height-defying tightrope acts (the hippos of Fantasia), an accidental spin through a clown-filled dressing room, a mistaken jump on board the animal and explosives-filled Casey Jr. Circus Train, and a grand finale filled to overflowing with characters - from Little John, Baloo, Brer Bear, Pooh, Lulubelle and Bongo Bear in a balancing act, to Donald Duck and “The Flying Goofys” falling from a tremendous height and into a dunk tank, plunging the entire circus underwater, resulting in a shark and fish-filled “submarine voyage” right out of an old Silly Symphonies short. Boy, all this for a baby sea lion?

AD_4nXcbqSSUKP81DrYa1OPJrx45q2nafTfzfU-ObYiImAdHlWI6NkE8Ld6qBF4KLIdjqeFFOCv9ImOW4Um_89lS-ByhtUASEr-I5DoK6jygZXJG23L9x79aS56XgkhJhFHEwioA_lZsUrv-DeeZnjaQJxnQSis

Big Top Souvenirs is your typical "amusement tent" filled to overflowing with merchandise in theme and brand with Dumbo's Circusland, while Big Top Treats, found in the same red-and-white-striped tent as the former, has a “show kitchen” famous for its cotton candy, caramel apples, shaved ice and other carnival treats made right in sight for the passers-by to see. Over at Pete’s Silly Sideshow, a meet ‘n’ greet location with a large wooden cutout of Ringmaster Pete out front, we are invited inside to meet such sideshow performers as “The Astounding Donaldo,” the unluckiest of snake charmers, “The Great Goofini,” a world-famous stuntman and daredevil performer, “Madame Daisy Fortuna,” a mysterious fortune teller from a distant land, and Minnie Mouse, “Siren of the Seine,” a Parisian poodle trainer under the stage name of “Minnie Magnifique.” Detailed props and settings help illustrate each of the characters’ stories in the context of the circus. Ringmaster Mickey Mouse is our final stop on our visit, often joined by the first-ever meet ‘n’ greet appearance of the often villainous Peg-Legged Pete - though here, he has a friendly smile and a colorful, candy-striped costume.

AD_4nXe80Ueo2nMXFltPlJaLokMxzChkRXhTX6-7HJTtFI0on76wGRnxazUu6N7zvzPzU9FLuMkox_y0nQdd-EqEccij-MDyW3KjzpDXXwM2f46rpjuYsQ4vmAEP2C2Ice1CmqX4wjG-wwXE9LUmGbmTjphVGIM

AD_4nXcVBzQSXiK3qNMZN6-2OVi4ctpTfuesOoyqFsxV5YkhacuvX8OyQvVr23wadV-irwmNfJ9bAeB1_eRgaHlF5VDSDa6qtdHSa8G-QrU4w9WNhT2wvjyUZxeOc0C5hFQbkDUOiZokT0wOCpRF36ILXwpS0H4

Pinocchio’s Daring Journey was originally intended for a location in Dumbo’s Circusland, with the show scenes in particular focused on Stromboli’s Marionette Theater and Pleasure Island. Later, an attraction based on the increasingly popular The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh was pitched. Park Management, still reeling from the passing of Walt in 1967, pushed for the dark ride budget to be allocated to a more traditional roller coaster, a traditional wooden “scream machine” that Walt had long refused, something that “after-Walt” management had long pushed for.

Imagineers reluctantly designed a traditional coaster called the “Circusland Screamer.” The decidedly adult attraction lacked much of the charm and attention to detail that had graced the rest of Disneyland for two decades prior, and felt more like it belonged at Magic Mountain up the highway. While fitting to the Circusland setting, its beams and rails stuck out like a sore thumb in the background of Storybook Land and Small World Plaza, and many lamented the loss of Disneyland not being your traditional county fair or amusement park. Although made of steel, the ride was designed to resemble a classic wooden coaster, and included an early prototype for an onboard audio soundtrack and launch mechanism, predated only by “King Kobra,” opened at Kings Dominion, Virginia in 1977.

In late 2001, Knott’s Berry Farm in neighboring Buena Park announced the construction of “Xcelerator,” a steel-launched roller coaster and the world’s first hydraulically-launched coaster to open in summer 2002. Not wanting to be outdone by their good neighbor, Disney announced that the Circusland Screamer would go down for a full remodel, one that would replace not only the track, launch and audio system, but also introduce something that the coaster had long deserved: theming.

AD_4nXdm30U8V6JC0lIceZLAd_20n4FLLJfCYojeJ0HkJSm4yyvpfLmeG72geqsc2zWh2PuhnWVpYTUks7h2ORvVMuClwObv4Fkvcx6TWROxoeHE0-8U7ZUxdGcavK6UhuiT__xmncZ602gSCBu3PbvelSNJsq4a

In record time, the Villains’ Funhouse Rollercoaster had claimed the former Circusland Screamer. At this point in time, the trees of Fantasyland had matured to block the unsightly coaster from the rest of the Park, and Disney Animation, now at the conclusion of its second Renaissance, had more than enough villains to choose from. The Villains’ Mystery Tour had been a success since its debut years earlier, and the demand for more villainy had never really died down given the continued popularity of both the Tour and The Haunted Mansion in New Orleans Square.

Pain and Panic welcome visitors to the “Ride of Your Afterlife” through the large funhouse doors carved to resemble a manic Cruella de Vil with swirling, crazed eyes. Inside is an early example of an “interactive queue,” a feature not yet common to the Disney Parks in 2002, but one that would later become as familiar to guests as the attractions themselves. A true carnival funhouse of sorts, the queue is filled with interactive games and features, including the mutant toys of Sid from Toy Story as would-be prizes, and an Audio-Animatronics figure of the Hag from Snow White in the overhead control booth. In fact, the Hag is the one responsible for the 55 mph launch into the coaster itself, sending our coaster train careening through the opened-mouth of Chernabog, the demonic figure from Fantasia.

I really, really wish we got the Villains' Funhouse Rollercoaster instead of Incredicoaster. :p

Long-time followers of this project will also notice I cut Toy Story Mania from this version of Circusland. To me, I was never really keen on deciding to put it in Fantasyland, and I have opted to include it in the secret third park I'm designing for this Mirror DLR. Stay tuned!

Next week's update will be Fantasy Forest, the final area of Fantasyland. From there we will be moving on to either Tomorrowland or Adventureland, I have not yet decided.

WaltWiz1901

Long-time followers of this project will also notice I cut Toy Story Mania from this version of Circusland. To me, I was never really keen on deciding to put it in Fantasyland, and I have opted to include it in the secret third park I'm designing for this Mirror DLR. Stay tuned!
That's a good call. There's something about Toy Story that doesn't really make it a great fit for Fantasyland that I can't put my finger on...

For fear of spoiling too much, I'm not going to ask a lot, but will Cars Land be anywhere in this Mirror Disneyland Resort, whether it be in Disney-Universal Studios or this mystery third gate of yours?
Next week's update will be Fantasy Forest, the final area of Fantasyland. From there we will be moving on to either Tomorrowland or Adventureland, I have not yet decided.
Gonna make a suggestion and ask that we move clockwise around the Hub so the tour around the park's main lands flows more naturally. That would mean Tomorrowland would come next, then Adventureland

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
That's a good call. There's something about Toy Story that doesn't really make it a great fit for Fantasyland that I can't put my finger on...

For fear of spoiling too much, I'm not going to ask a lot, but will Cars Land be anywhere in this Mirror Disneyland Resort, whether it be in Disney-Universal Studios or this mystery third gate of yours?

Gonna make a suggestion and ask that we move clockwise around the Hub so the tour around the park's main lands flows more naturally. That would mean Tomorrowland would come next, then Adventureland

Tomorrowland it is!

Truth be told, Cars Land hasn't crossed my mind just yet, but it might. It would logistically make the most sense at Disney-Universal, but that park is going to have A LOT in it as it is.

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
View attachment 792056
Apologies, but when I get a meme in my head, I can't resist!

Unfortunately, that day is pushed back! :p Ended up helping my grandma with something and it took the whole day up.

This is the perfect opportunity to announce an attraction for Tomorrowland: Carousel of Progress: Innoventions CommuniCore Starcruiser, Starring Christopher Walken 20,000 Leagues Under Inner Space.

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
AD_4nXf2C4zaV3hFgfp_iMaZ9C6dIFhf9kjG46_-0jqpVJGSE6Iy4fWgIJFP8wYoia5kyVOM1KZuMwHh8-iHvKlgGAfSO6jf-enjUteJgakclNA1-B9OwPxy3i3ij1_pXV4xwAelyi0dlEMu5jzS2xIQdf24_60

In the late 1980s, CEO Michael Eisner challenged WED to design for Disneyland an attraction based on Disney Animation’s then-biggest hit: The Little Mermaid. Imagineer Tony Baxter was again assigned to lead the design on the new attraction, a true successor to the Fantasyland dark rides of yesteryear.

But where to put it? The Enchanted Snow Palace had taken up the real estate next to “it’s a small world,” and Dumbo’s Circusland had occupied the remainder of Fantasyland for almost a decade until that point. That’s when it was suggested, “what if Fantasyland had an entire forest hidden in plain sight?” Fantasy Forest was thereafter “discovered.”

Found beyond the outermost walls of Sleeping Beauty Castle and the tents of Dumbo’s Circusland is an area of Disneyland that transports us into an enchanted world, a diverse forest the likes of which we’ve never before seen. This realm brought together several of Disney’s most beloved animated characters like never before, including those from The Little Mermaid and The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh.

According to legend, Fantasy Forest existed long before it opened to the Disneyland public. The characters and creatures of Walt Disney’s animated classics - Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs - retired to an enchanted forest hidden away from the hustle of Hollywood. Walt Disney himself knew of this forest, and chose the site of Disneyland based on its closeness to the fairy tale knights, dragons and princesses of his animated canon. In fact, Fantasyland was built right next door so that his beloved fantasy characters could come and visit with guests as they pleased.

In 1990, the residents of Fantasy Forest gathered and made an important decision - they would live in secret no longer. They decided to open the bridge to their secret oasis and announced that it would be open to Disneyland visitors in 1993. Since then, guests of all ages have been able to explore the magic and mystery of the Fantasy Forest - an ever-changing hamlet of tranquil beauty and Disney’s wondrous nostalgia.

AD_4nXdkL2z70wpJQwdIERdGum2uhPEYGuwiM0CzybMgkDdNWfwQuu831oNkjgDgqZt5iOoJhKWIwipe50ItnzaZyQwU1wBJtRa2qSCVll8_MeA5Mxq2Hrooc0UYsalsnLZtqXDL-EkfvnQtgtf8MPCPIf7oIYOY

The Forest is entered beneath the tracks of the Disneyland Railroad and through a passage of magnificent springwaters and soaring rock formations. Waterfalls mark our entrance into a kingdom near-surreal and isolated from the rest of the Park. Small World Plaza behind us, we find ourselves in the shadow of these beautiful, supernatural rock formations - thundering cascades, shimmering rainbows, and lush foliage accent these mysterious formations designed in the not-so-subtle image of Disney characters - Cinderella, Aladdin, Belle, Peter Pan, and the Magic Mirror among others - an incredible effect that would not be replicated again until the opening of Fantasy Springs at Tokyo DisneySea in 2024. A magnificent wilderness awaits on the other side. As night falls, the waters undulate in an ethereal, otherworldly light.

AD_4nXd-JYW0IaTnAhEA3O2vrvIfJCrdB-RcqitRC4UkdrVEtS3_N7sRvZ-3iyvCmm4neXr_7r1FwCyn1XMngs2XprczDGOFKDzaQwJrJGLNVjbRsojqEagjJONhZy6no2t224aq-Hn_udNq4dGqIA74LrUDJqig

A river divides the forest from the road we have taken and travels through the vast woodlands throughout, allowing the road to take many quaint footbridges and lush poolsides. Our grand-entry takes us first across an arched footbridge, churned beneath by a thundering waterfall from a nearby rock formation in the shape of an ogre. The bridge is inhabited beneath by none other than the troll from The Three Billy Goats Gruff, making this footbridge effectively a “Troll Bridge.” This three-headed creature might have a grim sense of humor and a big appetite for Disneyland guests, but don't be alarmed, he's just as goofy and ugly as the same three-headed troll once found in Epcot's Maelstrom attraction. In fact, he is the same!

In the endless acreage of medieval ruins and trees on the other side of the Troll Bridge, we are immersed by the orchestral sounds of European wildlife and mysterious music. It follows our journey as we discover a wooded “wonderland” beyond our wildest dreams. At any moment, one might expect a chance encounter with a fearsome dragon, or a fleeting glance at a knight on his galloping steed. The crumbling arch of a tower frames a “postcard view” of granny’s house from Little Red Riding Hood in a charming glen and - is something snoring inside? The very pavement in which we walk upon tells a story - wolf tracks, wheel lines, horseshoes, and dragon claw prints hint at the stories happening out of sight.

AD_4nXdpN9YNaMM1CfWEjOUcZTlQNzT9xuINMsScSi-mdo6Hn8kJ-6wUsuPApvjTXik5t5YL9mvPXnoXgXAbB3uJHQR0Rs8r34ql01hZYA6kW_f7Fdm7IOlAUIJY7rZ4q9WCTgEI_utdu6yM3ncJQT9VHF6hsTw

First we visit the woodland estate of Cinderella, located right here in the forest, where Cinderella lives with her wicked Stepmother and Stepsisters. The Pumpkin Coach is right outside the entrance to Cinderella’s Chateau. A hands-on training session with the Fairy Godmother will help us prepare Cinderella for the Royal Ball, while also enlisting the assistance of brave young “coachmen” and “handmaidens” to retell the Cinderella story through simple props and comical costumes. Cinderella is transformed from rags to riches right before our very eyes, and one lucky child will get to experience a magical transformation of their very own. A second Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique can be found here, though here it shares the attraction space and name. Old Mr. McGregor has hand-grown the fruits and vegetables sold at McGregor’s Produce Cart down the road, a nod to the 1901 children’s book The Tale of Peter Rabbit. The faux vegetable garden nearby is ransacked by adorable Audio-Animatronics rabbits, with Flopsy, Mopsy, Cottontail, and Peter poking their heads in and out of every which way in the garden.

The Gingerbread House of Hansel & Gretel (Tim Burton’s Hansel & Gretel) is home to a wicked witch with a candy cane nose - and what so happens to be Fantasyland’s largest candy shop. Aurora’s Cottage is close by, where Flora, Fauna and Merryweather are holding a surprise birthday in honor of Princess Aurora’s 16th birthday. This magical “Sweet Sixteen” invites party guests to make birthday cards and greetings for the young Briar Rose. Although she won’t be awake for much longer, Aurora does arrive at the party, mixing and mingling for all to enjoy. Of course, Maleficent is not invited. Goldilocks & Co., with a clever logo in the silhouette of Goldilocks and her Three Bears, is found inside the cottage of the bears. It seems as if the invasive Goldilocks has turned the vacant residence into a pawn shop of sorts where she sells the bears’ belongings. Naturally, the “belongings” for sale are Disney Princess merchandise and the like.

The above attractions and elements opened with the rest of Fantasy Forest in 1993, the attractions as simple meet ‘n’ greet locations with interactive elements in their queues. When Fantasy Faire opened in 2013 as another simple, equally well-themed meet ‘n’ greet location, the Chateau and Cottage received a fresh new spin, creating hands-on, interactive experiences, as opposed to “waiting in line for an hour, meeting the princess, and instantly leaving,” as one Imagineer put it.

AD_4nXfhA-i77sXsaKzZzCne54_1mtzwskCw6YSNazEY_ishuYp9DB63idM0iQM79S0OuoM7NXuQ29OJhMLJuWfUpk4y8PocvTKmx0UeOgjrsKaW7cgOUdaX_sqsP6ydu8DFTuP4QIHqxGJJVc3-iBJb7kjNtQw

The Fantasyland Theatre was another Opening Day attraction for Fantasy Forest. The first ever Broadway-style theater at Disneyland, the Fantasyland Theatre is hidden between towering trees and tucked between lush waterfalls. Both the exterior and interior of the theater were inspired by the forest - beautiful tapestries and murals celebrate the woodland creatures and forests of classic Disney Animation, from Beauty and the Beast to Bambi. However, due to budget at the time, the theater sat long vacant.

The first major production to appear at the Fantasy Forest Theatre was Animazement in 1998, which replaced a long-running musical revue of Disney songs, a decidedly boring and not-so-enchanting spectacle for such a spectacular venue. Animazement brought together the characters and stories of the Disney Renaissance. “It’s a daunting task bringing all these stories together. In fact, it’s ‘Animazement.’Animazement came and went, and in came Disney’s Aladdin: A Musical Spectacular in early 2003. The much beloved show ran until 2016 - a run of almost 13 years! - when it - actually, it’s still running today. The long-running smash hit of Disneyland celebrated 20 years of performances in 2023.

AD_4nXeJJvJIpasQjKcnLArGnPdZwgUqa045DU-PoDRxGyDWYvg-koa8dm-QJHUE12XrYQSrpQNUluFlD6ZyOwVZrsBXWfiUkAHzB43_ibYBtDdtnsfRaRTJflA90ChBKOxXCfwD35WAMu3zFvFgN7HRQKkkt_Xy

Inspired by “Alice’s Curious Labyrinth” at the then-new Disneyland Paris, Fantasy Forest debuted with Unicorn’s Cove, a labyrinthine hedge, forest and cavern-themed maze that would later inspire concepts for Beastly Kingdom at Disney’s Animal Kingdom, an unrealized land themed to the myths and legends of the animal world. The mysterious trails, streams and caverns ahead provide exploration amidst the fantastical settings experienced, with luscious, technicolor waterfalls, glistening crystal grottoes, and an enchanted spring for rest and reflection, the home of an encounter with the Cove’s namesake unicorn and the fantastic geysers that surround it.

Fantasy Forest encompasses a key location in every classic fairy tale: the woods. Tall trees provide a lush hideaway for those wishing to evade the law or the spiteful eyes of a wicked witch or stepmother. Trickling streams and miniature waterfalls roll along the side of the road, while the occasional cottage or castle ruin protrudes from amongst the tree stumps and tops. Two such of these fairy tale settings are found in a hidden clearing backed by an impressive mountain range with an even taller waterfall.

AD_4nXdu6PCFIPi4OVMozKU_3zrUMHnZUATOd-SYs72LDUtoRKQUgGiUsFnwI6C1JhaiFZK48weBqg8dLbt1whftGo73hulmOYV9kS60b2jBtEtiGoEJBBt_blpWGgD60U_7lqrAm45lCpURqhWXEOJE4TltPv5Z

When Fantasy Springs opened at Tokyo DisneySea in June of 2024, it opened with two attractions themed to the classic animated film Tangled, the first was a restaurant, The Snuggly Duckling, the second a gondola ride, Rapunzel’s Lantern Festival. Both were built simultaneously in Disneyland’s own Fantasy Forest, a conjoint attraction and restaurant exclusivity deal with the Tokyo Disney Resort and the OLC, the latter who owns the former.

The Snuggly Duckling not only has a large tree growing into it, but also appears from the outside looking in to be slanted and sloped at an unrealistic, impossible angle, just like it was in the film. The watering hole of famous thugs and ruffians, hook-handed or otherwise, has a menu full of “dreamy” fare, from Duckling Dream Turkey Legs and Cheeseburgers to Pastrami Dream Dips and a live pianist for the evening’s entertainment. Everyone’s got a dream here, from the weapons lodged in the walls and ceiling, to the fliers advertising “Hook Hand’s ‘I’ve Got a Dream’ World Tour.” “Sounding Sharper Than Ever! Performing in a Kingdom Near You!

AD_4nXf0NDmto114HnyhzRVy71buMBV6vxLiFClC1BxThwer1h52J3yN1oybMa5VNByHBALCEj5gQwrkMDuwA-YtDjyPstEwBU8DF-iwSs8HPJystat9d0vRliJG9DHGxeWyqNsc6ymBAp5CRzBMu05BuhMhYdI_

In a romantic voyage through the blossoming romance and “best day ever” of Rapunzel and Flynn Rider, Rapunzel’s Lantern Festival begins outdoors under the shadow of Rapunzel’s Tower, where its namesake resident sings “When Will My Life Begin” from her opened window, both she and the tower viewed and heard from near and far. Previously this area in the Enchanted Forest was a water playground themed to The Little Mermaid and King Triton.

The voyage in itself is simple. There is no conflict, there is no drama. The scenes are gorgeous, faithful to the film, faithful to the romantic setting and elements, free of villainy, full of romance. It is in essence the heart and soul of the Fantasy Forest theme.

Imagineers long desired an attraction themed to The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh for Disneyland. Pooh had been a popular character since the publication of Winnie the Pooh in 1926, and a venerable star of Disney Animation since Winnie the Pooh and the Honey Tree released in 1966. Still, he did not make his debut in a Disneyland attraction until the opening of Pooh's Hunny Hunt in 2003.

AD_4nXfzGornAyEDM8ua6Lk5vTDkWGFUltXXii0Y2aE09euB4yFEc3-GApRTIBDX5z5x97AWO4hr60Tw7Ewdp1Zd8jm_TbjkVotKmb3_JElJS7CGRok-jV-Wo1lufTZtRQME6fddoPHsP58f1Elpn_Vz_t0gP6g

Pooh’s Hunny Hunt brings to life the delightful tales of the “bear with very little brain” and all of his friends from the Hundred Acre Wood. Pooh’s Thoughtful Spot, a meet ‘n’ greet location and themed playground had opened with Fantasy Forest in 1993, and had guaranteed for a full decade prior the appearance of Pooh and his Friends from the Hundred Acre Wood with its slides, tire swings and familiar locales of the Hundred Acre Wood. Pooh Corner, which was later and conveniently attached to the exit of Pooh’s Hunny Hunt, is a charming cottage overflowing with charming British decor, baked goods and merchandise from all corners of the Wood.

Pooh’s Hunny Hunt was the first “trackless dark ride" in the world, debuted first at Tokyo Disneyland on September 4, 2000. It soon became the most popular attraction overseas, with wait times no shorter than two hours at a time. Its success led WED to petition for its addition to a vacant corner of Fantasy Forest. Management agreed, and with a budget of $130 million, Pooh's Hunny Hunt opened inside a large, cottage-sized storybook in the summer of 2003 at Disneyland.

In vehicles fashioned to resemble honey pots, we soon learn our vehicle has no visible track - in fact, the pots move through the fully realized scenes and pages of the storybook at a constant speed, independently moving, starting, stopping, dancing, reversing direction, spinning, and holding a mind all their own. In one scene Tigger invites us to bounce - and we bounce along with him - and in another scene, Heffalumps and Woozles transform our (and Pooh’s) flight of fantasy into a colorful, whirling, twirling nightmare. The still groundbreaking adventure is accompanied by the musical score from the Winnie the Pooh featurettes, and was incorporated into the attraction under the supervision of Disney Legends Richard M. Sherman and Buddy Baker. Richard, along with his brother Robert B. Sherman, wrote the songs and Buddy conducted and arranged the score for the original featurettes.

The whole reason for Forest Forest being is Under the Sea: Journey of The Little Mermaid.

Imagineers at first toyed with the idea of an entire The Little Mermaid land in lieu of what would become Fantasy Forest. At Eisner’s insistence for a The Little Mermaid attraction, “Mermaid Lagoon” was envisioned as an “underwater kingdom” to the northern berm of Fantasyland, concealed in a black-lit dome with an exterior fashioned to resemble the kingdom of Atlantica, and the dome’s interior as a snapshot of the film’s famous “Under the Sea” sequence, featuring carnival flat-rides themed to marine animals, and a “C-Ticket” dark ride as the starring feature.

AD_4nXdo0CYxsrI1cYkE-BNWWPnvnsRLe1SCHyZeWTdUfoTe7Vm1mQe-MsJWsVdiomCWLheoIjruAWHhcLcXEmFFBGiixZeTfQtokR6LJGevoMZgwZstbFBUF52SLwhK3OqCYpSegi_a_adZmR47ghNfGFqlZck

When ideas evolved and other characters filtered in, the ideas were allocated to creating an E-Ticket dark ride instead, with a whole forest and lagoon carved around it. Prince Eric’s Castle and its surrounding bluffs, lovingly adapted from the film and set sometime after its happily ever after, became the second major castle in Fantasyland, and captured the royal estate in a slight state of ruin after decades of weatherwear. A sub-tropical lagoon sits at the base of a salty waterfall, with remnants of a majestic sailing ship strewn along its jagged rocks and shores, and, too, a full shipwreck in the foreground with Ariel as the figurehead. We enter a sea cavern at low tide and meander the sandswept tunnels and ruins within the castle. The ceiling of one such rotunda is graced with mosaics depicting ferocious sea monsters and naval battles, including one with a giant octopus that resembles a certain sea witch.

AD_4nXc1Loh1s4Bka_biwFys567sngPlJsCnYk5xqcv9dmkfvZ5LGLFFUIQ7-26lzierbXmfbzwwOWbrCgMOg6cB8M4o1k4BsGy6RQFh0QyhX-Qj6dBgTGiYWFE9PZp2CA1vbMjXJJYfrIc3kRvGCwrw97dFg_g

A song-filled “shell-abration” in a floating seashell (similar to Peter Pan’s Flight), our underwater journey takes us fathoms below on a tour of scenes from the film, including Ariel’s grotto and a graveyard of lost ships. Immersive effects and fully-dimensional scenes of song and dance recreate each unforgettable scene from the film that kickstarted the Disney Renaissance. Sebastian conducts a spectacularly realized “Under the Sea” sequence, followed by the eel and soul-infested lair of Ursula before her startling transformation into a gargantuan, hulking kraken amidst a raging maelstrom. We emerge from the depths in time to celebrate Ariel’s happily ever after in a romantic fairytale finale of fireworks.

Gadgets & Gizmos Aplenty is held inside an “above-the-surface” recreation of Ariel’s famous grotto, right down to the statue of Prince Eric and treasures untold strewn along its rocky walls. Ariel’s Grotto itself is in the cave nearby, the all-too-appropriate meet ‘n’ greet location for the Little Mermaid herself.

Fantasy Forest has a vast “nature trail” that follows along the backside of the railroad tracks and through to the other side of Disneyland itself, the southwestern stretch of Frontierland known as Folktale Forest. Because there are no attractions on our journey to this secondary fantastical realm, the beautiful streams, hills and trees are sporadically dotted by static vignettes of classic fairy tale scenes and Silly Symphonies. Here Humpty Dumpty is sat on a wall, not quite yet having had his great fall. The Flowers and Trees sing and dance, and the Cookie Carnival is seen at a moment’s glance. Elmer Elephant and Tillie Tiger share a kiss, the Tortoise and the Hare have their race, and The Wise Little Hen enlists the help of a reluctant Donald Duck and Peter Pig in baking her famous bread. Peter and the Wolf even appears in a snowy cutaway. Several other vignettes are also here, but it would take too long to name them all!

The Fantasy Forest Trail was added in an effort to round-out the entirety of Disneyland. Folktale Forest had long been a dead end, and foot traffic often congested in Frontierland and Fantasyland as a result. By leaving this remarkably quaint walking corridor intact, guests can escape the hustle and bustle of the rest of the Park and just enjoy a moment’s peace, with ample opportunity for seating and snacking along the way. As we draw near the American Folktale Forest, the vignettes transition from European fairy tales and settings to American, including those of Johnny Appleseed and Paul Bunyan. The figure of Paul Bunyan and Babe stand at 25 and 15-feet, respectively, and Paul’s hat can be seen from the Rivers of America!

Next time: Tomorrowland!

I'll do a full breakdown of Fantasyland soon, including anything that might not have been mentioned, but woof, that was a lot of work to get all those sub-lands done and out!

WaltWiz1901

September 4, 2000
Only a small nit in an otherwise brilliant writeup, but you're off by three days - TDL's Hunny Hunt opened on September 1st, not the 4th as is commonly, erroneously stated post-Wikipedia
This is the perfect opportunity to announce an attraction for Tomorrowland: Carousel of Progress: Innoventions CommuniCore Starcruiser, Starring Christopher Walken 20,000 Leagues Under Inner Space.
Well, isn't that a mouthful...
...I also get the impression that this is hinting at what attractions Mirror Tomorrowland will have

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
Only a small nit in an otherwise brilliant writeup, but you're off by three days - TDL's Hunny Hunt opened on September 1st, not the 4th as is commonly, erroneously stated post-Wikipedia

Well, isn't that a mouthful...
...I also get the impression that this is hinting at what attractions Mirror Tomorrowland will have

Dang Wikipedia lied to me!!

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
Wouldn’t the Witch’s candy house resemble the one from the Silly Symphonies cartoon Babes in the Woods?

In this case, no. I actually didn't consider Babes in the Woods until now. Tim Burton's Hansel & Gretel is such an inside joke to me and @TheOriginalTiki that I had to include it for nostalgia's sake. Let's assume that in this alternate universe, Hansel & Gretel was not shunned by Disney as it was in real-life and aired more than once on the Disney Channel.

Come to think of it, I probably should have included a Gummi Bears attraction in Fantasy Forest. Ah well.

DisneyManOne

The Fantasy Forest Trail was added in an effort to round-out the entirety of Disneyland. Folktale Forest had long been a dead end, and foot traffic often congested in Frontierland and Fantasyland as a result. By leaving this remarkably quaint walking corridor intact, guests can escape the hustle and bustle of the rest of the Park and just enjoy a moment’s peace, with ample opportunity for seating and snacking along the way.
I assume that this trail would take up some of the space that would become Galaxy's Edge, had it been built here instead of at Disney-Universal Studios. If you don't mind me asking, why did you decide to leave that space unused -- y'know, apart from the Fantasy Forest Trail -- and not use it to fill in a land to be this Mirror universe's equivalent to Galaxy's Edge?

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
I assume that this trail would take up some of the space that would become Galaxy's Edge, had it been built here instead of at Disney-Universal Studios. If you don't mind me asking, why did you decide to leave that space unused -- y'know, apart from the Fantasy Forest Trail -- and not use it to fill in a land to be this Mirror universe's equivalent to Galaxy's Edge?

Yep, right about the same placement. I don't have a land planned for that spot, I wanted to retain something kind of offbeat and so unique to Disneyland that it stays as such. I think a quiet forested trail full of vignettes and places to chill and have a snack is so needed in this day and age.

Remember, because this version of Disneyland is so much bigger, they don't have to rely on beyond the berm placement as much for new lands and attractions, though it still happens on occasion, case in point Fantasy Forest and Folktale Forest. It's hard to envision it fully fleshed out when I can't draw lol.

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
Having some writer's block with Tomorrowland. I really want it to be perfect before signing off on it. In the meantime, here is the full breakdown for Fantasyland, probably one of the biggest lands I have ever written about!

Fantasyland Breakdown by Sub-Land

Fantasy Faire
  1. Storytelling at Royal Theatre​
  2. Villains’ Mystery Tour​
  3. Royal Hall​
  4. Fairy Tale Treasures​
  5. Maurice’s Treats​
  6. Gaston’s Tavern​
Castle Village
  1. Sleeping Beauty Castle Walk-Through​
  2. Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique​
  3. Snow White’s Enchanted Wish​
  4. Geppetto’s Toy Shop​
  5. Pinocchio’s Daring Journey​
  6. Pinocchio Village Inn​
  7. Stromboli’s Wagon​
  8. King Arthur Carrousel​
  9. Make-Believe Brass​
  10. Sword in the Stone Ceremony​
  11. Castle Heraldry Shoppe​
  12. Sir Mickey’s​
  13. Villains Shop​
  14. Peter Pan’s Flight​
  15. Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride​
  16. Storybook Land Canal Boats​
  17. Mary Poppins Jolly Holiday​
  18. Admiral Boom’s Gifts​
  19. The Mad Hatter​
  20. Mad Tea Party​
  21. Alice in Wonderland​
  22. Skyway to Fantasyland​
  23. Hook’s Galley​
  24. Captain Hook’s Pirate Ship at Skull Rock​
  25. The Neverland Bootstrappers*​
  26. The Pearly Band*​
Alpine Gardens
  1. Matterhorn Bobsleds​
  2. Edelweiss Snacks​
  3. Yeti-Haus​
  4. Matterhorn Polka Band​
Small World Plaza
  1. “it’s a small world”​
  2. Small World Imports​
  3. Garden of the Four Winds​
  4. Frozen Ever After​
  5. Wandering Oaken’s Trading Post (and Sauna)​
  6. Tick Tock Toys​
  7. Northern Delights​
Dumbo’s Circusland
  1. Dumbo the Flying Elephant​
  2. Casey Jr. Circus Train​
  3. Casey Sr. Splash 'N' Soak​
  4. Mickey’s Madcap Circus​
  5. Villains’ Funhouse Rollercoaster​
  6. The Fates’ Photo Supply*​
  7. The Clown Restaurant​
  8. Big Top Treats​
  9. Big Top Souvenirs​
  10. Pete’s Silly Sideshow​
Fantasy Forest
  1. Cinderella’s Chateau​
  2. Aurora’s Cottage​
  3. McGregor’s Produce Cart​
  4. Gingerbread House Candy​
  5. Goldilocks & Co.​
  6. Unicorn’s Cove​
  7. Friar Tuck’s Fryer*​
  8. The Snuggly Duckling​
  9. Rapunzel’s Lantern Festival​
  10. Ariel’s Grotto​
  11. Gadgets & Gizmos Aplenty​
  12. Under the Sea: Journey of The Little Mermaid​
  13. Pooh’s Hunny Hunt​
  14. Pooh’s Thoughtful Spot​
  15. Pooh Corner​
  16. Disney’s Aladdin: A Musical Spectacular​
  17. Stage Door Souvenirs*​
*NOT FEATURED IN OVERVIEW*
*OUTDOOR VENDING NOT LISTED*

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom