Millennium Falcon: Smuggler's Run - Ride/Queue Details and Discussion

Stripes

Quick thoughts from @lentesta

I think it's wrong to approach Smuggler's Run as a ride. Instead, I would think of it more as an experience. In real life (not really, but you get the idea), one wouldn't be guaranteed a thrilling ride on the Millennium Falcon, absent repeated crashes. I think the variability of the ride makes it more special.

I think a lot of the criticism comes from it being, by its nature, a competitive and frustrating experience. Especially being frustrated when you're not in complete control. Arguably, that's what the designers intended.

The comparison to Star Tours is rather nonsensical, in my opinion. This is unlike any other attraction out there.

Last edited:

cohaco

I believe the reason MF:SR isn't overwhelmingly well received is because RotR didn't open with the land. I know thay may sound obvious but bear with me for a second.
On top of two rides being better than one I also believe that RotR and MF:SR work extremely well together by complementing each other: RotR takes away the burden of being the amazing, jaw dropping headliner with all the expectations of finding a great and enjoyable ride for just about everyone away from the SR while the latter in return saves RotR from the burden of having "fanservice" and providing some kind of authentic, desired and " cool " experience that the SW fans expect. Simply put it provides that " wow, I'm in SW " and " I wanted to do this for so long " kind of experience. Together they make for a complete land that hits that sweet spot of appealing to everyone. However with RotR not open yet MF:SR shoulders all this alone, something it was never meant to. But it doesn't stop there: That " I wanted to do this for so long" feeling is now coupled with " I hope this ride is the amazing next big thing" ( which was meant for RotR ) making the first feeling responsible for an even bigger letdown. ( I don't think I explained my last point that well so sorry if I didn't make it clear enough ).

JohnD

I think it's wrong to approach Smuggler's Run as a ride. Instead, I would think of it more as an experience. In real life (not really, but you get the idea), one wouldn't be guaranteed a thrilling ride on the Millennium Falcon, absent repeated crashes. I think the variability of the ride makes it more special.

I think a lot of the criticism comes from it being, by its nature, a competitive and frustrating experience. Especially being frustrated when you're not in complete control. Arguably, that's what the designers intended.

The comparison to Star Tours is rather nonsensical, in my opinion. This is unlike any other attraction out there.

Do you want to be a slug or an active participant? I choose the latter. And if some kid gets the pilot seat, just enjoy the ride no matter the result. Think about the thrill this kid is having being in the pilot’s seat. If you want a better “score” try to “score” the pilot seat yourself on another time through. It’s a ride, people.

JohnD

I thought the ride would've been better. More thoughts soon.

No problem with having overall impressions of the ride. Just taking issue with complaints that the pilot or other role didn’t perform to your expectations. That’s part of the randomness of the experience.

JohnD

It's interesting I was just watching a live stream and the guests were entering and existing the cockpit through the same path. They weren't doing that in the over videos I have seen.

Did you notice at the end how Hondo is concerned about a creature on the hull? It’s probably a way to entertain the guest while the cockpit rotates back into position where they started.

sedati

I don't understand this idea of a "good" pilot. Isn't that like saying you were good at bumper cars in that you never hit a thing.
The place is about fantasy- this isn't your own car. Crash away, it's fun!

I mean, I remember the old Star Tours and we had the worst luck- seriously, every time we got this bad pilot who went the wrong way and had us careening all over the place. All my friends had good pilots who gave them a turbulent-free trip straight to Endor.

TJJohn12

It's interesting I was just watching a live stream and the guests were entering and existing the cockpit through the same path. They weren't doing that in the over videos I have seen.

If it was the ResortTV1 stream, it looks like they were sent to the accessible cockpit. Note the wheelchairs outside. I'd guess they're using all available cockpits to increase capacity.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
If it was the ResortTV1 stream, it looks like they were sent to the accessible cockpit. Note the wheelchairs outside. I'd guess they're using all available cockpits to increase capacity.

Ah, that makes sense. Good to see they are using it even when there is no who needs the accessibility, but you do loose out on the hallway effects if you damaged the falcon.

180º

Correct! A couple of other interesting tidbits I noticed about the accessible pod:
- You can feel the turntable cockpits rumble as you take your seats, but the ADA pod is completely still during load and unload.
- The screen outside is completely dark until the ride begins, as the edges of the dome would be visible from the load position. When the ride starts, the pod slides forward into the dome.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom